All parent member reviews for Peter Pan (2003)

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byJpalisades April 9, 2008

Stunned by This Movie, Totally Enchanting

After watching this movie with my 9 year old son and 6 year old daughter we bought the original James Barrie novel, read it every night for a month and then missed it when we were done. We found the contemporary novel Peter and The Star Catchers by Dave Barry which is a "prequel" to the original and began reading that just so we could continue our love affair with Peter Pan. The movie is thrillingly acted by Jeremy Sumpter and Jason Issacs as Pan and Hook respectively. I have only known Peter Pan through Disney's eyes but after seeing P.J. Hogans version which so closely resembles the book, you understand how Barrie was a genius at understanding human Nature. Pan is the boy that never grows up yes. But did you every understand before that Hook is the rest of us? Waiting for death which ticks away around every corner, perhaps in the guise of a crocodile with a clock in its stomach? Brilliant! Don't deprive yourself or your children, you will love this movie! By the way, there are some very thrilling parts that might be a little intense for the under 9 set. But nothing disturbing or haunting.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bymres1022 October 18, 2009

My family and I love this movie. The production is gorgeous and really captures the feel of the book. It looks like a Victorian pop-up book come to life. Since it is true to the source material it is a little darker, so you have to know your child. My 6-year old LOVES this movie and has been watching it for a few years. It is one of a handful of films she asks to watch over and over. I don't think it is overly sexualized - Wendy is on the verge of adolescence. Her unsure relationship with Peter represents that struggle between growing up and entering into romantic relationships and remaining a child who likes to play dress up. I thought the film beautifully captured this "transitional" time in a child's life. I can't recommend this film enough.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

The end of innocence

The traditional story, with a poignant emphasis on childhood's end and the beginnings of adult love and sensuality. Jeremy Sumpter as Peter and Rachel Hurd-Wood as Wendy convey a remarkable blend of innocence and longing. The only version I know that accurately presents the undercurrent of sensual maturation found in the book.
Parent Written byclipscoupons365 February 25, 2012

Terrible movie

While being babysat, the sitter pulled this up on Netflix and started watching it with our kids before realizing it is totally inappropriate for younger kids. She quickly turned it off and then told me about it. Among other things, there was a very graphic, sexually charged and frightening scene with mermaids that prompted the shut off. I would steer clear and opt for the Disney version.
Adult Written bytheturners December 28, 2010

This is a beautifully made film that I saw for the first time a year ago, and loved so much I purchased a copy. The actors are all well suited for their roles and the sets and special effects are excellent. The story begins at the home of Wendy, Michael and John where her parents and aunt seem to notice that Wendy is growing up. And do they see a hint of a "kiss" at the side of her mouth? This "kiss" is spoken of in the original book "Peter Pan", an excellent book by the way. The "kiss" alluded to is treasured for a special time and a special someone, which plays out later at the end of the movie. I thought all of the actors were excellent, but especially loved Jeremy Sumpter in the Peter Pan role. He's quite charming with a frequent look of mischief, and he and Wendy are just at that age on the brink of growing up, though of course, Peter never will. This version of the story plays up the fact that Peter and Wendy at an age just beginning to find the opposite sex interesting instead of annoying. These feelings are sweetly and innocently played out and there are occasional hints of brimming romance between the two. Wendy longs to grow closer to Peter, but just as he starts to show interest he withdraws since, after all, they are just pretending to be grown up parents to the lost boys and he will never ever really be a man! Some items for parents to be aware of: Wendy's brothers are strung up by the feet in one scene which causes their nightshirts to fall, and they are horrified that their bare bottoms are exposed, but the viewer only gets a glimpse of this. There is a very brief scene where evil mermaids try to entice Wendy into the water. These are dark, evil looking mermaids and may be frightening to small children. Captain Hook succumbs to the crocodile at the end and is quickly swallowed whole. There are several fighting scenes with the pirates and one scene where they tie the brothers upon a rock where water is rising and they are left to drown, but are saved just in time. Overall, I give this movie very high marks for entertainment value. It's an old story that has had some new life brought to it, and is beautifully and artfully done.
Adult Written bysss December 15, 2008

better for older kids

lots of tension & kissing by pre-teens.
Adult Written bykirireeves April 9, 2008

Fanciful, but a little dark

I think I would have enjoyed this movie if my children had been older. I took a toddler and was sorry I did. This rendition is the closest to the original book I've found, and it is beautifully presented (I was really impressed with the caliber of the performances in the young actors)--but that also means it is darker than the Disneyfied version. The mermaids are scary, Hook is definitely disturbed, the crocodile is frightening, the castle is spooky--it was too much for my little one. I would put this film in the same camp as the Harry Potter films--fun and magical, but eerie and scary in parts--really meant for kids 8-11 who can separate magic from reality and not worry that a crocodile is going to swallow them up at any moment once they leave the theater.
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009

Adult Written byvoiceofreason April 9, 2008

Parent of a 9 year old Written byerich April 9, 2008

Sexualized version of old favorite

I liked this movie a lot but was not happy with the fact that my 5 year old was seeing it with me. This Peter Pan seemed more sexualized than the Disney version. In Disney, Pan wants Wendy to be his and the lost boys' mother and he seems oblivious to Wendy's romantic feelings for him. Here, he wants Wendy to be a mother and he a father to the lost boys. There are several very sexually-charged looks exchanged and a climactic kiss. Hook even acts a little suggestively to Wendy a few times (and the same actor plays her father). Like I said, I really liked it but I wish my son had been 7 or 8, at least. As for the violence, Hook shoots or guts several pirates and there is blood--I didn't consider it fantasy violence.
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008