Parent reviews for Peter Rabbit

Action-heavy take on classic books has peril, edgy jokes.

Adult Written byMomToFour February 11, 2018

Funny for All Ages! Great family fun!

It is so rare we can go into a theater with our kids aged 5 to 14 and have all the kids laughing and enjoying a movie. And hey, the parents are chuckling too? Score! It was just suspenseful enough that the 5 year old wasn't scared and the older kids were still engaged. Some movies go too far in trying to entertain the parents so that they cross the line into inappropriate territory. Not in this movie! There was absolutely nothing inappropriate. Great family fun! The allergy lobby is clearly out in force against this movie. Many of those writing reviews have never seen the movie, which seems unfair to me. There is one scene in question. The context is that the human is trying to kill the rabbits. They find out he is allergic to berries, so try to knock him off by shooting berries into his mouth. He uses his epipen and is fine, and the bunnies comment that he must have superpowers because he keeps coming back to life. We have friends with severe allergies, and it didn't bother us a bit. My kids said "it was self defense". If someone is trying to kill you, then you exploit a weakness. It was quick and lighthearted like all of the other shenanigans. But if you are sensitive to such things, then avoid the movie.
Adult Written bymaroonmom February 10, 2018

Could have been charming!

This could have been such a sweet movie. Visually it was endearing, but the story was terrible. Peter Rabbit brags about killing the human that killed (and ate) his father. There is a joke about people with life threatening allergies using it as an excuse. The rabbits later try to kill this individual by using the food he's allergic to. Part of the dialog mocks those who have lost a limb, by describing it in an unflattering way, and saying "the real scars are on the inside." A rooster says that if he knew the sun was going to come up, he wouldn't have fertilized all those eggs that he'll have to be present for. All of this is on top of the violence, which includes Peter thinking he's killed a second human by electrocution. Absolutely terrible. Great if you are trying to teach your kids to be insensitive.

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written bySue E. February 16, 2018

Redeeming Story (with an asterisk)

Okay, so, let's start by acknowledging and dealing with the elephant in the room: Peter's use of a known allergen as a weapon. Based on all of the negative publicity and our own personal experiences with nut (and other) allergies with friends and family, my wife and I were initially against bringing our son (and his friend) to see the movie. But, before we blindly followed the boycott, I decided to do a little research on the scene(s) giving rise to all of the anger. So, here's the deal: 1) In one scene, we learn that Thomas McGregor (the lead male) has an allergy to raspberries. 2) In a second scene much further in the movie, after Thomas and the 5 bunnies have relentlessly tried to kill (and I'm not using this term loosely) one another, Peter and his siblings resort to using Thomas' allergy to raspberries against him. Thomas, however, quickly pulls out his epipen and revives himself. Is it insensitive to those with allergies? Yes, in the same way scenes of electrocution are insensitive to anyone with a nervous system. Is it a necessary scene? No. Would I have included it? No. Does it ruin the whole movie? That's an individual question you need to answer for yourself. For me, it didn't, and I'll explain why below. If it would ruin the movie for you (despite all of the other worse(?) violence in the film, then you should avoid it. I've read comments from "it promotes bullying" to "that's aggravated assault" to "it teaches kids how to attack those with allergies" and everything in between. First of all, by definition, crimes of "aggravated assault" and "murder" are committed by a "person" and therein lies the rub. Peter is not a person. He's a rabbit. Again, he's a rabbit...committing "crimes." This isn't real. The violence is between anthropomorphic animals and Thomas. If the film's harshest critics want to argue that this is a distinction without a difference in the context of this film, then I would ask them why most aren't equally (if not more) enraged by the film's depiction of other violence: Consider that, in more than one scene, the rabbits attempt to electrocute Thomas and other humans. In several scenes, the rabbits intentionally use animal traps to harm Thomas. Thomas retaliates by throwing explosives, knives, and other objects at the rabbits. Try re-reading some of the allergy critics' reviews against the backdrop of a Looney Tunes cartoon. How many times did Wile E. Coyote try to blow up the Road Runner? How many times does Bugs Bunny turn Elmer Fudd's rifle against himself? If you believe these types of cartoons trivialize violence and teach kids how to kill, then this movie is not for you; and not just because of the raspberry scene. Second, it's clear that many of the film's harshest critics have not seen the movie. Some have even argued that there isn't a positive message to the film; which is entirely untrue. [SPOILER ALERT] Contrary to those comments, towards the end of the movie, Peter (and Thomas) realize the errors of their ways. Peter apologizes to Thomas and accepts responsibility for what he's done. Thomas, similarly, does the same to his love interest. Does this reconciliation "undo" the violence? No, of course not, but then, is your issue with the violence in general or the allergy issue? My recommendation if you're on the fence because of the allergy issue: Use the raspberry scene as an opportunity to discuss allergies with your kids and educate them about the real risks. Let them know the epipens aren't the cure-all for those experiencing an allergic reaction and that people can (and do) die from reactions. We've always had nut-free parties for our kids and I don't offer food to any of my kids' friends without asking them (and their parents) whether they have any allergies. Remind them that it's just a movie and, oh, by the way, people die from electrocution, too! Third, and finally, I don't understand any of the criticism that the movie promotes or teaches bullying. Peter is fighting for access to the garden and Thomas is fighting to keep Peter out. They both resort to cartoonish violence, intending to kill one another to reach their ends. It's classic Bugs Bunny vs. Elmer Fudd. Allergy issue aside, Peter Rabbit is actually a redeeming (and funny) story about a precocious rabbit and his rivalry for the affections of a woman. The story is filled with slapstick comedy (in typical Looney Tunes fashion) and childish pranks (sticking a carrot into Mr. McGregor's pants, from which his butt crack is exposed). At a time when most of the "kids movies" that come out tend to get PG-13 ratings (e.g., every Marvel and DC comic based movie), it's refreshing to have an entertaining PG movie to which I can take them without all of the "human vs. human" realistic carnage and harsh language (swearing) this movie clearly (and thankfully) lacks. Whether it's right for you is a personal decision.
Adult Written byAmy W. February 9, 2018

Allergies are NOT funny

I am totally disappointed in this movie that takes a persons food allergy & turns it into a joke. Then they proceed to try & kill the person using this allergy as the way causing the character to have to use an Epi pen to save himself.

Parent Written byS L February 10, 2018

Promotes bullying

Beatrix Potter is rolling in her grave with this adaptation. In the movie, Peter Rabbit knowingly throws blackberries at Mr. McGregor who has an anaphylactic allergy to them and has to use an epipen. There is absolutely no redeeming story at the end and makes light of a very serious health condition. One in every 13 kids have a food allergy and this movie does not teach values of empathy and compassion. Boycott!

Adult Written byAmber B February 10, 2018

Sweet Message

My kids ages, 8 and 4 loved it. I haven't been in a theater full of so much little kid laughter in a long time! And it had zero potty talk and name calling, which is rare.
Adult Written byKristin G. February 10, 2018

HORRIBLE MOVIE!

This film makes a mockery of life threatening allergies. I can NOT believe that this is being shown in theaters, to children! I am absolutely repulsed by this extreme ignorance and horribly distasteful movie. What a joke this film is. I truly can not believe that this is a message these producers think is okay to show to ANYONE, much less children. I am so angry.

Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byKimberly M. February 11, 2018

Funny movie for all ages

The movie was so enjoyable. The jokes and action are a little edgier than the Peter Rabbit stories but it is truly a delightful, fun movie. Yes, the rabbits and some of the humans are enemies regarding the garden but there is a nice lesson in the end. The rabbit characters are adorable. I have read many of the reviews about the food allergy of one human and while I am aware food allergies are serious, it is a small part of the movie. The humans try to stop the rabbits by "violent" means and the rabbits do the same. I do not consider it bullying and it actually provided an opportunity to talk to my kids about food allergies and what the character did to help counteract the issue. As an adult who grew up on Looney Toons cartoons, this movie is great fun! If your family is very sensitive and has experienced food allergies, then choose a different movie. The food allergy lobby is trying to tank the movie and most of them haven't even watched it. My kids and I really enjoyed the movie and laughed throughout it.
Adult Written byYaya T. February 10, 2018

Bullying

Teaching kids to bully AND inducing a life threatening allergy is a completely inappropriate message to send to children. Showing that using an Epi-pen and the farmer is fine is completely FALSE that’s not how it goes - ask a parent of an allergic child who has died even after using the Epi- pen. Complete Ignorance!
Adult Written byAli W. February 10, 2018

Do not take your kids to this movie

We were shocked and disappointed that the sweet characters and beautiful stories of Peter Rabbit were destroyed by this movie. The movie contains a bunch of food allergy jokes which are made in poor taste. Part of the story is that Mr. McGreggor is allergic to blackberries. He talks about how they make his throat close so the rabbits throw them at him, aiming for his mouth. It gets to the point where he has an allergic reaction and epinephrin is used and it's all a big joke. Also, there is talk about how food allergies are made up, for attention. Please don't take your children to this movie. This is exactly the kind of messaging that makes kids with allergies targets for bullies and minimizes the seriousness of anaphylaxis. Parents and kids who live with the reality of life threatening food allergies every day. Trust me, there is nothing even remotely funny about it. Please do not expose your child to a movie where bullying is behavior is modeled and made funny. It is dangerous for others when kids get this message. Aside from the allergy issue, the characters are rude and obnoxious and the movie is generally done poorly.
Parent Written byTommy M. February 10, 2018

Disgusted by the bullying.

Encouraging bullying with life threatening food allergies is not entertainment. You see stories on the news all the time about kids with food allergy being taunted, purposely touched with allergens, having allergens thrown at them... etc, and now we’re using that for entertainment and encouraging it?!?! I’m disgusted by this!

Parent Written byMaria O. February 10, 2018

Using food as a weapon towards an allergic person

This movie gives unacceptable examples on how to kill an allergic person by giving them the food they are allergic to. In real life this is aggravated assault and can end up in death. It promotes bullying towards individuals that have severe food allergies. Peter Rabbit wants to kill Mc.Greggor and uses the food he is allergic to: a blackberry trown in his mouth with the help of his friends. I found this unacceptable because it gives the young audience the idea of how to mock someone with a dissability, it shows how to bully and kid with food.

Adult Written byRichelle B. February 10, 2018

Completly offensive to the allergy community

As a parent to an anaphylactic child I found the allergy scene to be not accurate as to what actually happens when someone goes into anaphylaxis, and an unnecessary scene that was NOT funny. Had the movie showed a true depiction of what happens & true remorse for it maybe I would feel differently. Poking fun & giving an idea to children of a way they can successfully bully or taint a person with severe allergies is terrible.
Adult Written byJen P. February 10, 2018

Food allergies are NO JOKE

As a mom of a kiddo with life-threatening food allergies, I'm disgusted at this film. Anaphylaxis (a life-threatening reaction to food allergies) has nothing funny about it, so I'm completely dumbfounded as to why a film would portray this as humorous. It's disgusting. Every year we lose children to anaphylaxis after they eat or are exposed to a food that they are allergic to. It's devastating. Why would we want our children to laugh at this?! If you want to teach your child to be empathetic, kind, and compassionate to those who have medical issues such as life-threatening allergies, do NOT see this movie.
Parent Written byAngelica76 February 12, 2018

Loved it!

Saw it with my ten-year-old. We loved it. If you're offended by a food allergy being used as humor, don't see it, because you'll be offended. Otherwise I think you'll love it. There is enough slapstick to keep kids entertained and a good story line to entertain parents. One of the best kid's movies I've seen lately. If you like this one checkout Paddington 2. It's also great!

Adult Written byjessvargas February 11, 2018

Cute movie for older kids

My 9-year-old son loved this movie. He's at an age where it's hard to find movies that we approve of and he will enjoy. For younger kids, it may be too upsetting, especially the beginning when the story of Peter's father being killed and eaten. There is a lot of cartoon violence, Peter and MacGreggor fighting that is totally unrealistic because the poor little rabbit would be killed but my son understood this wasn't real. It's like Looney Toons and Bugs Bunny, you can't take it seriously. I liked the message about animals. I expected my kids to leave the theater wanting to be vegetarians.

Adult Written bymoxiegirl February 11, 2018

Such a cute and fun movie!

This movie was adorable and the scenery was fantastic! It puts a modern twist on Beatrix Potter’s life and her neighbor, Mr. McGregor, with lots of fun animal action. The graphics are incredible. For those saying this promotes food allergy bullying, get OVER yourselves, how sensitive can you be? And yes, one of my children has a nut allergy. And yes, I’m a progressive! Do you expect this world to protect your every feeling? Seriously, some rabbits were slingshotting fruits and vegetables at Mr. McGregor after he put up an electric fence and one of them sent a blackberry into his mouth and he had to use his Epi-Pen. The war between Peter and Mr. McGregor IS the story in Beatrix’s books! I mean, Mr. McGregor baked Peter’s father into a pie! Why don't we send an invite to PETA to crucify the story line? If you have an issue with the basic premise of Beatrix’s books, then don’t come to the movie and then complain about what’s fair in love and war. #triggered
Adult Written byCheryl M. February 10, 2018

Inappropriate and sick

Includes storyline of bullying a character because they have a food allergy. Would upset kids with allergies and give other children ideas on how to bully others.

Adult Written byCandice W. February 10, 2018

Not appropriate for children.

This film condones food allergy bullying and is not appropriate for impressionable children.

Parent Written byKasey N. February 10, 2018

This movie teaches bullying and hate

This movie’s plot is against those with life threatening food allergies. A character with a food allergy is bullied and targeted to kill by other characters by “shooting” the allergic food into the characters mouth. Why is this any different than racial bias? Or any other type of hatred based bias? These poor children didn’t ask to be born with food allergies! The stress that they go through is immense, thinking they could die from a single mistake, now we are teaching children to hate them based on this?? Please don’t waste your money on this film!