All parent member reviews for Pinocchio

Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byZM_Mommy September 21, 2009

Should have a PG-13 rating!

Where to start? Dancing girls that are scantily clad, caged up lead character, reliance on someone else to be your conscience, the clocks in the store are suggestive, excessive use of the word "jackass", not to mention drinking and smoking, spitting, and misbehaving. I'm sorry we bought it... I was hoping old school Disney would be sweet and nice for my 4 year old. Not so much!
Adult Written byjbarling December 17, 2010

Wow, I wish I had watched this again before letting my kids see it. Or I wish I had at least checked here and read the parent reviews first! Won't make that mistake again... Use of the word "jackass," scary and mature themes like slavery, smoking, drinking - way too much for little kids. Avoid it - I'm thinking older movies may need to be reviewed periodically to see if their rating still holds. I can't imagine this would be G-rated if it was a new movie that was just being released.
Adult Written byLowe's man December 12, 2013

a masterpiece

This is the best animated Disney movie ever! While some scenes may be too intense for very young children, I would highly recommend the movie for any child 5 and up. I would even recommend it for younger children if they can handle the scary scenes. When Pinocchio tries to smoke a cigar, he hallucinates, which shows kids the dangers of smoking. The Fox and The Cat, along with Stromboli (the owner of the puppet theater), illustrate that some people are not to be trusted. After having fallen victim to their schemes, Pinocchio learns that he should've listened to his father and gone to school. He also shows kids how much worse things get if you tell a lie. But the most poignant moment comes when he decides to risk his own life to save his father Gepetto. Just to make sure Pinocchio is safe, Jiminy Cricket goes with him, demonstrating the importance of looking out for others. This movie has a lot of positive messages.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 October 3, 2009

really should be rated...

this is the most inapropreate G movie i have ever scene!!!!!! and for these ressons: there is underage drinking and smoking, some vilonce and peril, and language like "jackass". I think they should have rated it PG-13. Or atleast a PG because having it G rated with all that stuff in it is wrong!
Adult Written byJEDI micah February 18, 2013

Disney, you are a genius!

I really loved this movie when I was a kid! This is one of the animated movies that really made Walt Disney a mastermind of animation! Now that I'm older, I really miss this movie. Maybe it's on YouTube!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byangies January 28, 2011

Ok for teenage and up

When I watched this again for the first time in so many years, I was very creeped out. Sure I get the idea behind the bad little boys turning into donkeys (that's the nice word for it), but the older man capturing the little boys creeped me out due to our current culture where kids can vanish never to seen again.
Adult Written byMarieK March 21, 2009

Young children don't always have the attention span to get the whole message. All they see is Pinocchio smoking and drinking and are off doing something else when he suffers the consequences... It's not appropriate for any child under 5 in my oppinion and frankly was better off staying in the vault.
Parent of an infant year old Written bystrawberryummies February 16, 2013

Classic staple of childhood shouldn't be dismissed for mild language and drug use

This movie is probably one of the best "scarier" movies you can introduce your kids to at a younger age. So many kids movies are sanitized now with their content. The stories are recycled, and the happily-ever-afters are simple and idealized. Pinocchio provides kids with a safe story of a little boy that has hopes and fears (just like any other kid), that works through them using the tools his father and friends give him, and learning from experience (just like any normal kid would do). Concerning the drug use, it's OBVIOUSLY displayed in a negative (and pretty accurate) fashion. It isn't meant to scare kids away from them, but shows what happens when kids use drugs: they make themselves sick! And the language is barely an issue. The term "jackass" is thrown around once or twice, but in this case, they're literally referring to jackasses (donkeys). Would you put someone at fault if they said "hell" when they were referring to the place, or "dam" when they were referring to the thing holding back water? It would be silly if you did. Just like it would be silly if the only reason you keep your kid from watching this is because they say "jackass". The only thing I would keep an eye on is the darkness of this film. While being mostly tame, there are a few dark moments that can scare younger kids. But once your kids are ready for it, Pinocchio is something the whole family can enjoy together!
Educator Written byacosgrove February 8, 2013

fab

really good movie my nice says she dosent want a big nose so she has never lied since i let her watch is so its good in a way but over all i give i five stars not four
Parent Written byFrankinf March 24, 2012

Not for young kids

It is a classic not for young kids it has smoking and drinking and the use of the word Jacka**
Parent of a 8 year old Written byGRANDKIDS5 January 29, 2011

TEACHES A VERY GOOD LESSON!!! NOT SCARY

I saw this movie when I was a kid. I learned alot from the movie, lying was bad, getting in with the wrong crowd had consequences, drinking, smoking etc, would make me into something I didnot want to be. And that the greatest love of all, can make all things possible. Most of all, it ingrained into me that I had to have a conscience. My parents did not talk to me about the movie after it was over. WHY???? Parents today are making wimps out of todays kids. I guess that is why some of today's parents are called HELICOPTER PARENTS, THEY HOVER TOO MUCH! LET THE KID ENJOY THE MOVE, IF THEY HAVE QUESTIONS , THEY WILL ASK!
Adult Written bycrystal098 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Adult Written byKiwiful August 27, 2014

Cursing, drugs & human trafficking

"Don't smoke or else you'll become a 'jackass' (literally from the movie) and get shipped somewhere". I was working at a summer camp and they were showing this movie. The youth staff was laughing at how ridiculous and inappropriate this movie was. The basic lesson of the movie is to not lie and listen to authoritative figures.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy February 19, 2013

It's really sad how Walt Disney passed away.

Pinocchio was my childhood.It's funny,creative,and just awesome.When Walt Disney passed away I cried a lot.I'm glad I have a Pinocchio DVD.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright January 11, 2013

A darker then average masterpiece from Disney.

This is in my top 13 Disney classics. It's a great morality movie. However, the review forgot the naughtiest word in the entire film, which is the synonym for donkey. In addition there are mentions of other insults like "stupid", "shut up", and "idiot". However, most of these words are said by the villians only. Overall 9.5/10
Adult Written byMadameChung March 9, 2012

GET THE PICTURE.

I really like this movie. In the movie itself "jack ass" isn't a swear word. It another word for "donkey" much like "ass" is by itself. THE UNDER-AGE DRINKING/SMOKING is WHY the boys turn into donkeys. So its a good message not to drink if you're under-age.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bymizd360 September 19, 2010

Classic tale, but a little sinister

Definitely darken that I remembered. i won't own it, but my son is definitely enjoying it.