All parent member reviews for Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Adult Written byheartXcore April 9, 2008

The first one was better.

Parts of this movie were disgusting, even for myself, with a tough stomach. First of all, Davy Jones and his crew are all disfigured, grotesque men turned sea creatures. Def. not for kids under 13, in my opinion. Second, there seemed to be a lot more "voodoo" influence on the native islanders. More superstition... trying to make it interesting, but giving the movie an eerie effect. Personally, I don't like movies that incorporate witchcraft in them, but some parents might be more complacent about this issue. Third, Elizabeth and Jack Sparrow's make out scene wasn't necessary. It had nothing to do with the general plot. As in the above issue, some parents may be okay with letting their kids watch that. Overall, this movie was confusing and worse than the first. It had a weird plot outline and I think lots of kids (especially girls) who are "up-to-date" with pop culture are just going to watch it for the actors/actresses and/or the romance scenes. Very shallow. Disney could have done better on this one.
Educator and Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written bylioness57 April 9, 2008

More fun than the reviews made you think

We took our 12 and 8 year old. The 8 year old wasn't scared at all but I think that's because he saw the first movie. There were fewer skeletons than in the first movie and he thought Bootstrap Bill was cool-looking Lots of fun.
Adult Written byhballhead April 9, 2008

After the first 10 minutes I wondered how a young person under 13 years old watching this movie would process the crows eating people trapped in cages? It only got worse from there with almost non stop violence which I am afraid our society has come to accept as entertainment. The fist fighting, stabbing, throat slashing, head chopping, etc. continued throughout the movie. This is definitely not a movie for young children to watch!
Adult Written byramonatime April 9, 2008

I love this movie. I can see it over and over again. Yes there's violence, and Yes there is drinking, but I'm an adult. My kids (oldest 9) haven't seen it yet. Lovin' it for adults and teens though!
Adult Written byOliviaReviewsIt September 13, 2015

Second 'Pirates' is Less Funny, More Confusing

POTC 2 to me, was a pretty big disappointment in comparison with its predecessor. I mean, I liked the movie, it’s just that it had some pretty confusing moments, which continue into the third film as well. Davy Jones was an OK villain, and there were some good battle scenes, but nothing to compare to the first one. Jack Sparrow was pretty humorous in this one, which would make it a star up from what I would otherwise rate it. This movie has some rather gross scenes, such as vultures eating on people, Jack Sparrow biting on a toe, and Davy Jones’ heart beating in the treasure chest. Language: Mild: use of ‘damn’ at least once. Sexual: mild. Elizabeth and Jack share a passionate kiss. Jack references his compass in a sexual way: “it will point to what you want most” and it points to him—as Elizabeth wishes for a man. This kind of behavior continues throughout the movie, but can only be picked up by older viewers. Overall, this movie has nothing that 13+ can’t handle-but only watch if you have seen the first one, or you just seriously want to see Davy Jones.
Parent Written byBob Deckland September 6, 2015

As good as the previous one

If your telling your children that they cannot watch this, that's trash.
Adult Written byBubblyMushroom August 30, 2014

Awesome Movie

This movie is filled with action and suspense that keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time. As always, Johnny Depp is amazing and his character, Captain Jack Sparrow, definitely adds plenty of humor to the movie. The overall plot is somewhat confusing and some characters and scenes may be, too violent and scary for young children, but this movie is without a doubt one of the best.
Parent Written byJLFM May 11, 2012

If you let your kids see the first, there's no reason to skip this one

Adult Written byAlphaZK93 January 21, 2011

Pretty good film is a little more graphic than the first.

Honestly, if your kid watched the first one with no problems at all, then they would be totally fine with this one. If they did have some problems, maybe you should watch it first and see if they could handle it. When they find the heart, it might be a little nasty for the squeamish person, but be advised that it isn't a human heart. It's a weird oval-shaped thing that beats and has way more than 4 arterie thingys. But yeah, It was awesome.
Adult Written by4Spice June 14, 2010

pretty good movie

i loved how jonny depp played in this movie 12 and over for fighting no sex
Adult Written bytylor lee February 5, 2010
i think this movie is a very good movie for ages 12 and up because it is very entertaining
Parent of an infant, infant, 3, and 5 year old Written byMississippiQueen January 7, 2009
Adult Written byMovieLover101 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008
Adult Written by7th_heaven_fan April 9, 2008
Adult Written byLadyMira April 9, 2008

Action packed without gore, guts and excessive profanity

Adult Written byamychild April 9, 2008
Adult Written byBekkiS221986 April 9, 2008
Adult Written by96girl April 9, 2008

It was a great movie!

I thought it was a great movie because I liked the characters. They all were bad at some point but always had good points to. It was a little scary for my 7 year old sister, but it is great for kids 10 and up. This was one of my favorite movies.
Adult Written bysoccer girl7 April 9, 2008

I was very dissapointed!!!!

I was lookin foward 2 this movie. I loved the first 1 but unfortunately this 1 was to me utterly pointless and very boring, i would have gave it 2 stars, but the first movie was an all time favorite and I love the actors, the movie could have been a lot shorter but they seemed to drag it on and on, everyone who I saw it with thought it was really dumb, plus I was very confused at a lot of parts they didn't quite make much sense. Hopefully the third one (which they r workin on right now) will be a lot better and explain some of the confusing parts. Although I must say I thought the end was a good twist and I'm happy they made bleep be in it. Ps: watch the 1st on b4 u see it cuz I 4got who a lot of ppl were!!!