All parent member reviews for Planes

Educator and Parent Written byKraftyKP August 10, 2013

Good clean fun for children - refreshing!

Had the pleasure of seeing this movie before it hit the theaters and loved seeing a young boy in front of us jumping up and down with enthusiasm when the hero succeeds. As a preschool teacher, I found this movie perfect for young children and enjoyable as an adult. It was a lot of fun in 3-D and I may have to see it again, but I am pretty sure there was not a single fart or belch "humor" in the entire movie - refreshing. Good, clean fun that shows that the underdog, who had the drive to break out of the destiny he was born into (created for,) and instead, do and become what he dreamed. A message we all need to be reminded of.
Parent of a 1, 1, and 4 year old Written byEyeOutForViolence August 12, 2013

A couple of intense scenes

For my nearly 5 year old who loves airplanes and has been a fan of "Cars" since he was 18 months old, the movie was great. Parents should know that there is one scene where one of the main characters, Skipper, a WWII F4U Corsair, tells the story of why he doesn't fly. In a flashback to WWII, there are ships with anti-aircraft guns shooting down his squadron with the implication that all of his squadron were "killed" except for him (again, this is just implied, not stated or shown explicitly). This was probably the only objectionable scene in the movie, since my son has never been exposed to gun fire before, but this was mostly over his head. Aside from that there is a scene where the main character, Dusty, crashes into the ocean and looks like it might be "the end", but he is quickly rescued by diver and chopper team.
Adult Written byWill loves movies September 9, 2013

Planes Take Flight

I went into this movie having really low expectations because of what critics have said. I must say that it is not that bad of a movie. In my opinion, the last thirty minutes of the movie are really good and I look forward to the sequel. However, I thought Monsters University and the Croods were better animated movies. Now unto the review. Dusty is a great role model who is always showcasing the great message of never giving up on your dreams no matter who you are. There is one quite violent scene when the war plane is telling his war story and we see planes shooting at each other and planes disappearing as they fall. This is really the only intense scene in the movie. There is some sexual content that little kids may or may not pick up. Ishani's propeller is on her backside which is why we see Dusty stare at her propeller and say: "look at that propeller." Also, El Chupacabra constantly flirts with Rochelle who at first does not like him but eventually we see him have lipstick all over his face after he serendades her the night before. Obviously, there is a lot of consumerism in this movie because of all of the Planes featured toys that have been. One final note, Planes is basically Cars but with planes instead of cars so if you enjoyed Cars as much as I did then you may or may not like this movie.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bymomof2bears December 8, 2013

Excellent Family Fun

Fun for the whole family. We were cheering for the underdog all the way and were delighted when his good deeds and kind actions were rewarded. Magical fun. Strongly recommended. Ps. I don't recall it, but my son (9) says there was drinking in the bars after segments of the race
Parent Written bySpidermanFan1993 November 10, 2013

Suprisingly Good

When me and my family were going to see this movie I thought that it would be terrible. This was due to all the bad reviews that the movie had been receiving. However, after seeing this movie the critics were wrong. This movie is the typical story of an underdog who strives to do something great. It is really encouraging because the main character had been told that he would never be able to compete in the race that he wanted to compete. Well after trying numerous times he is able to enter the race. Also this movie shows the principle of the Bible verse that says "whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap" Galatians 6:7. This is evident when the main character helps out another plane. Some time after this when he needs help other planes are willing to help him. As for the violence you see an entire WWII fighter pilot squadron all get killed except for one as well as some action during the races and the action toward the end of the film. There are some comments made in this movie that are sexual in nature as well as some severely implied kissing scenes. This movie is better than what people give it credit for. Overall, this a movie that young kids would like and is a movie the entire family could enjoy.
Parent Written byjocelynaus September 7, 2013

kid-appropriate but lacks story and character development.

We were quite excited about this film as the original Cars is still on high rotation in our house. Sadly were disappointed, there is nothing inappropriate in the film (a la Cars 2) but it jumps plot and character development and ultimately my 4 year old and I both lost interest.
Adult Written byTrami Nguyen August 21, 2013

Planes are so awesome!

I like to see Planes last Saturday, because it's a good movie for me.