All parent member reviews for Pokemon: The First Movie

Adult Written byEternityTheory February 28, 2011

Hardly ironic if you pay attention.

This movie's point is often misunderstood, which is why that is the first thing I'll cover. Many say that its message of nonviolence is hypocritical considering that's the whole series' point, but this is not the case. In the series, trainers battle each other for fun, as a sort of sport or recreation. Think of it like football or boxing. It's harmless fun for them, especially since their pokémon are power-brimming creatures always eager to express their abilities. However, the sort of fighting this movie shows as wrong is not the same. Mewtwo forces his superclones to battle their regular versions tooth and nail, suppressing their special abilities. The helmet and pads are gone from the football game; the boxing gloves come off. They're no longer fighting for fun, they're fighting just to prove superiority. If anything, this movie tries to explain this difference to the naysayers saying Pokémon promotes violence. It stresses the difference between friendly competition and pointless fighting. Again referring to sports, it's the difference between boxing and street-fighting. Now, on some other points, I do not think this movie is unbearable for adults. The plot is pretty cheesy, granted, but one shouldn't always take things too seriously. Keep in mind that half the dialog is spoken with the character's tongue jammed into their cheek; Team Rocket especially feels the need to deliver humorously ridiculous puns such as "I wonder if [the clones] feel... Clonesome" at every turn. As for noticeable product placement, well... it's a movie based on a show that's based on a video game. All of the characters can be seen in said video game; that's promotion enough if you ask me. There's also mountains of merchandise out there too, but as a recommendation I say stick to the games: they're actually worth the cost and are the reason I still love this series after 12 years.
Adult Written byMafatu32 February 1, 2011

Ironic messages.

So, the moral is "Fighting is bad"? That's a pretty nice moral considering that's what the show is all about. Another thing, those monsters cried to bring him back to life at the end, now what message does that send? If you cry hard enough, you can bring people back? I don't know, I don't favor this movie.
Adult Written byHaloFreak123 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byBeckstar November 1, 2011

Beautiful but sad film

I first saw this when I was about 7 or 8. I saw it at the theatres with my mum. Mum and I couldn't stop crying when Ash 'dies'. It was the most saddest thing I ever saw when I was little. I still cry when I see it, as pathetic as that sounds. I don't think Mum wants to see it again either, she thinks it's too sad. Ash is a FANTASTIC role model. He may be arrogant at times and stubborn. But he has a deep love for his Pikachu and sacrificies himself for it and other Pokemon. In the show he has often put himself in danger for his Pikachu, as he loves it so much. He also cares a lot for Brock and Misty, but especially Pikachu. The bond they have is often touching and will warm your heart. This film is quite violent. It has Pokemon clones fighting each other and has an 'evil Pokemon' theme. But a Good G Rated film.
Adult Written bySneauxw92 May 20, 2011

Great for all ages!

I have loved this movie since I was young, I really don't see anything wrong with young children watching it :) As for as the battle scenes being Violent the most the Pokemon do is battle. No blood, no one dies and it ends with a happy ending just the way a kids movie should.
Adult Written byJon Lovitz May 20, 2009

=*( I didn't like it.

This movie sucked! It was boring and it gave me bad vibes. And I'm a pokemon fan!
Adult Written bycoolification April 9, 2008

I thought i was in heaven when suddenly i realized im still alive

"Pokemon is a story of the clash of the forces of good and evil where the fate of the world rests upon the hands on one trainer, Ash Ketchum, and his faithful friend, Pikachu. Together they will embark on a journey that will change their lives forever." THIS IS A LIFE CHANGING MOVIE!!!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 November 3, 2012

pokemon the first movie

Families can talk about the movie's theme of cooperation. What are some examples of how it's better to work as a team instead of alone or in competition with one another? How does this movie compare with other Pokemon entertainments, like the TV show, video games and apps? Why do you think Pokemon has reamined so popular for so long?
Adult Written bymeiterumimizukage June 3, 2012

Pointless. Just skip it.

Parent Written byLilWeiWei December 8, 2013

I never caught them all...

Having been born in 1995, I watched this movie since I was about 4 years old. The thing is, I'd also been watching Pokemon since I could keep my eyes on a TV screen (I was probably 1 or so years of age). I was not afraid of the violence (And most other movies scared me crapless at that age), and I didn't end up verifying that age old rumor of "Let your kids see/play Pokemon, and they'll pit their pets together in battles". I'm not a violent person at all. This movie is safe for any kid that can watch a TV screen for 75 minutes, honestly. The movie itself is pretty much alright. It's aged well (You must realize it came out 14 years ago...), and it's got a good, positive storyline. Basically, monsters called "Pocket Monsters" or "Pokemon" who have natural but seemingly magical powers are trained by kids of 10 years of age and up called "Pokemon Trainers", to fight each other, so they and their trainers can become champions. Pokemon do not die in battles, only of old age. The trainers from the anime travel to an island in this movie and meet a synthesized Pokemon that humans created, and try to tame him, basically.