All parent member reviews for Poltergeist

Adult Written bywonder dove July 5, 2013

I get chills every time I watch it!!!

Best horror movie ever created! This movie is insanely good! It's fun, scary and super entertaining...never a dull moment. The effects were done really well for the 80's and the whole atmosphere of the film is really dark and eerie, which really sets the mood for a good time! Characters are likable - the parents are very protective and loving to their children. When strange things start happening around the house, little Carol Ann can hear voices coming from the TV set whom she calls "the TV people". The mother soon learns that there is some paranormal activity going on and convinces her husband that something's not right. One stormy night, when their son is taken by a possessed tree outside his bedroom window, they scram to save him while little Carol Ann is left alone in her bed when evil forces try to "get" her. She ends up missing and the family soon discovers that the poltergeists have taken her. With the help of some experts, they must all try to figure out how to get her back in one piece. Lots and lots of action, scariness and it's even a little sad & heartwarming in a spiritual sense. Some say the film is cursed because the two kid actors (Carol Ann and her big sister) died in real life after the movie was made, and strange things happened to Stephen Spielberg while filming the movie! Violence is extreme for a PG (should be PG-13 now) with scary monstrous creatures, objects moving & flying violently, people including children being terrorized, a clown attack, tree attacks a child, man rips his face off, frightening hallucinations. Language is very mild. Sexual content has grown men flirting with a teenager by whistling at her and other brief comments. Drug use includes one scene, pot is rolled and smoked by the parents (not too graphic). Okay for 14+ viewers. Fun fact: Did you know the skeletons used in this movie are real? :O
Parent Written bySinfoniarc October 22, 2010

A Classic Mild 80s Horror Film

I'll confess that this movie scared me to death as a kid (I'm 30 years old if that helps). This movie didn't even phase my 6 and 9 year old. Having said that, some kids are more sensitive to scary images than others. The technology used to make this film is low by comparison of what we see today, so your kids will likely find this movie a little bit cheesy. There is ONE scene in the bedroom in which the parents are smoking dope and then quickly straighten up to attend to one of the kids who is scared of a thunderstorm. But unless your kids are wise to that, they won't even know what it is or really even notice it. As far as language goes, it's an 80s PG movie in which the language standards were different than what they are today. You'll hear s--- and a--- and a few others (no f-bombs are dropped). The parents demonstrate good parenting skills in not leaving anybody behind, sticking together as a family when faced with adversity, and their undying devotion to get their youngest daughter back. Is the movie violent? No. Are there some scenes that will scare some young children? Yes. Watch it first and then you decide.
Parent Written bymyab October 27, 2010

More PG-13 Than PG, Scary For Most Young Teens, But Still Good Messages

I'd say this movie is more PG-13 than PG. There is true scary violence (done by unseen forces, not person to person), including scenes where braces wrap around a child's face, a tree tries to eat a child, and everyone involved is put in some sort of emanate physical danger. While the special effects were done in the 80's, and some scenes aren't as realistic as they would be today, they are still cringe and sometimes scream inducing. However, the good messages conveyed throughout the movie are solid holding points. The parents don't leave any of their children behind, and in fact go to great lengths to protect and rescue them. The children rely on their parents, and the family works as a cohesive unit to survive the situation they are in. Ultimately, I'd say most mature 13 yr olds can handle this movie, with parental guidance. Any younger is much too iffy.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byAZmamaof2 May 8, 2010

OK for older kids, but not for kids under 10

When we rented this movie we hadn't seen it in a long time. When we saw it was only rated PG we thought it would be OK for our 8 year old. Maybe she is too sensitive but she didn't handle it very well towards the end & we had to shut it off. Our 10 year old was OK with it but she is more of a scary movie buff than our 8 year old. What we didn't like: Parents smoking marijuana. Skeletons in the muddy pool when the father was looking for his child in the backyard. The soundtrack at times was a bit overpowering (I think this might have contributed to my youngest child's breaking point). The gory scene when a man rips the flesh from his face revealing chunks of gore (while he's hallucinating) What we liked: The parents are loving & they brought in experts to help them. The chair scooting across the kitchen floor. The father counting seconds between lighting flashes with his son during a storm at night. The mother found her daughter & brought her back.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byYBNormal January 7, 2009
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

gross and boring

This movie is just dull. It lacks any good scares at all and is too predictable.
Parent Written byPlague February 26, 2010

Poltergeist

A glorious horror. Mildly frightening.
Adult Written byPoefan October 14, 2009

Great horror film!

An awesome ghost movie that is very intense and contains one particularly gruesome scene.Do not be fooled by the PG rating, it's not for kids. Also, there is a scene of drug use. Unlike today's horror films, this movie does not rely on cheap scares to keep the audience interested, it is a genuinely scary movie. However, this movie is awesome and everyone should watch this great movie.
Parent Written bytreat02 March 7, 2012

ok

This does have a lot of bad language. There are some inappropriate hand gestures (middle finger) and i don't think that this is very scary, not as much of a worry. It does have mild scares. There is one part where a man face is coming off but it's just an illusion. There is also a part where there are skeletons. No scary ghost's are seen it's just the "poltergeists". The only part that is mildly scary for younger audiences is when the closet opens up and there is a mouth type thing, and a skull dog or something.
Parent Written bywrgtyp September 25, 2011

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrate movie

It's realy not that bad and thats from someone who once a year get scared out of his mind by halloween magizens. the scene where a guy rippes off his face is scary while it happening but the guys seeing things. the "scary tree" that trys to eat a kid dies after 1 minute so who cares. but the movie does play off of the fear of clowns because there is a clown doll in the backround acting all not alive and stuff whith its big gross teeth untill it trys to kill the boy under his bed. this is the funnyest scene in the hole movie because the boy then screems "i hate you" and rippes out the things stuffing. theres one middle finger and lots of dead bobys being thrown out of the ground. a guy says son of a b*tch so much it gets boring. but overall it rocks.
Parent of a 3, 6, 11, and 13 year old Written byKristinThorneEllis October 29, 2010

I saw this when I was around 14-15 and it scared me just enough. I think if I were younger it would have kept me up at nights for weeks. I do not think my kids need to see the teen aged sister flipping off a bunch of construction worker who were cat calling her. She is a young teen and they are MEN. I also don't like the "smoking"
Adult Written byMaryW 6 August 20, 2015

Not Scary

My friends and I watched it and it was a comedy not a horror movie we were laughing the whole time
Adult Written byThe Real Family... July 31, 2015

Another Hollywood Antichrist Attempt to Influence Your Children

Garbage. So lets break it down like this: If you wouldn't allow a stranger into your home to assault your children with words like s...t, d.....n, godd...n, son of a b.....h, flip your child the finger, or smoke pot in front of your kids, why then would you allow these Hollywood actors the opportunity to do so? If you think for one moment that Spielberg is not fully aware that he is indoctrinating your kids to those kind of values, then you are mistaken. Don't give Hollywood access to your kids. This movie is totally inappropriate for children.
Adult Written bypurplemomo@gmail.com July 29, 2015

Poltergeist

Poltergeist is an excellent horror movie and I would highly recommend it. But if your child is scared of clowns, monsters under their bed, or closets Don`t watch it. But if you are a fan of horror movies watch it. There is a scene were someone rips flesh from his face, a scene with zombies, and a scene were a toy clown chokes a little boy. I think that ten year olds can handle it if they like action. Anyway, This movie is a must see for horror fans.
Educator Written bySkyrush March 1, 2015

Good old-fashioned horror movie

To me, the best horror movies make you use your imagination......and Steven Spielberg continues his fine use of special effects begun in films like "Close Encounters" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark". The monsters shown at the end of the film are not super scary for today's kids. The reason for the haunting of the Freeling's home is revealed about halfway through the film. Many of the effects were reminiscent of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" - if your kids liked that movie, they would be fine with this one. A good "first scary movie" without a lot of gore. Viewers will develop a real empathy with the Freeling family and will be rooting for them throughout the movie.
Parent Written byryans3 January 1, 2015

Not scary.

I thought this movie would be scary when it was released. Everybody (even my friends) said this movie was scary. That was when I wanted to watch it. I watched the full movie and the only "scary" part was when a man tore his own face off. Disappointed.
Parent Written byPredatorman March 21, 2014

AWESOME MOVIE

don't watch this if it's late at night and your the only one home/awake, or if you have a fear of clown's
Parent of a 6, 10, and 11 year old Written byHBoyles April 7, 2013

Great classic "scary movie"

Love, love, love this movie. This was one of my favorites as a child and remains so today. It's hard for me to put an age on it since every child is so different. There is a little language. There is a marijuana scene, but my kids thought it was gross because they were smoking cigarettes, so I went with that and said how bad smoking is. I was around 9 when I saw this movie. I didn't necessarily think it was scary, just a freaky movie. I've let my kids watch it. They are pretty much the same. I let my younger son test out the tree scene, and he was too scared. Obviously too scary for younger ones.
Adult Written bycritic sense November 4, 2012

Recommended Rating: 12+ for brief gore, intense/frightening scenes, moderate language and mild drug references

This ghost film has many fantasy elements and is directed toward a younger audience. However, there are many scary scenes that may be too frightening for children. The film has close to no violence, except for one brief, yet very gory scene where a man rips flesh from his face and we see his bloodied skull. There's occasional usage of moderate language, and adults are seen casually smoking marijuana.
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 15, 2012

This movie rocks!

This movie is so cool! It is one of my favorite horror movies of all time!