All parent member reviews for Princess Mononoke

Parent of a 4 year old Written byermengrabby October 18, 2009

Miyazaki's masterpiece

I love this movie. So does my four year old son -- but he has very advanced tastes and is not easily frightened. ("It's just a movie, Mommy," complete with eye roll.) The violence is pretty intense and the resolution is rather subtle. My son had to see the movie many times before he really understood what happens to the forest spirit in the end.
Parent Written bySnafuy August 15, 2009

Very violent compared to other Miyazaki masterpieces

Princess Mononoke is one of my top ten favorite movies, ever. Intelligent characters, amazing concepts, gorgeous scenery. No irredeemable villains; only imperfect souls trying to do their best in a difficult world. This film contains many scenes of violence, including death, dismemberment, blood, and decaying corpses. Over the next few years my kids will see every Miyazaki film; Nausicaa and Mononoke will be saved for last.
Adult Written bybabatopenot September 25, 2011

A content-focused review

This movie shows more blood in it than probably any other movie I have seen. Multiple heads are shot off by “demon” arrows, Princess Mononoke sucks mouthfuls of blood out of a wolf god’s wound to clean it, the main character is shot through the chest from which blood flows puddles on the ground as he exerts himself to open a city gate, a man has his arms shot off and pinned to a tree where they dangle for a moment, the decapitated head of a wolf-god bites off a woman’s arm, a ten-ton boargod vomits buckets of blood repeatedly, another boar-god rots away into a reeking carcass in seconds—and that is just the big stuff. This all sounds worse than it seems however, as the film’s cartoon nature makes the gore much less pronounced or offensive. As for sexual content, the film is mostly clean although “not applicable” is definitely an inaccurate rating. A band of women, who giggle a lot, is depicted in relatively modest kimonos (basically bathrobes) which nevertheless show a little cleavage. Many of them have, apparently, been rescued from more disreputable pasts and one man describes them as having been “wasted in the brothels” (a term which is used at least thrice in the movie). The women themselves say that their new life of manual labor is better because “the men no longer bother us…unless we want them to! *tee hee tee hee*” At one point, the main character goes to visit them (not in an inappropriate way) and helps them pump the billows for an iron mine. His efforts toss them lightly into the air which they find quite entertaining, but their bathrobes rumble a bit and one women jokes to another (off-screen) “Whoops! Better keep that kimono closed tight!” As for language, God’s name is abused a couple of times and b*stard, b*tch, d*mn and H*ll are each used, but only about once each. I like this website because of the user reviews, but whoever at CSM wrote this review clearly liked the movie too much. I mean: “Language = Not Applicable”? if b*stard, b*tch, d*mn, and H*ll don’t count as foul language, there is not much that does.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bykempeke July 30, 2009
Please also be aware that this film DOES contain sexual content related to prostitution.
Parent of a 4 and 12 year old Written bystarshower July 22, 2012

Beautiful animation, but some intense and frightening scenes/imagery

*spoilers* Even thought our family has been watching Miyazaki's movies for years, this is the one movie of his I made my son wait to watch until I felt he was old enough to watch it and I could watch it with him so we could discuss it. Well, he turned 12 a few weeks ago and we finally watched it tonight. He's quite familiar with Miyazaki's recurring theme of passion for the environment and the human role in destroying it--and subsequent duty to care for it--so he understood the underlying meaning of the human vs. nature battle. However, the frightening imagery of animals consumed by anger/hatred-induced demons (caused by what the humans were doing to them and their forest home) controlling them was very intense for him. There were a few instances of cursing, and more than a few mentions of brothels. A few arms and heads are lost in gory detail by a variety of methods, including gunshot, arrow, sword, and decapitated wolf head (she was a god so I suppose it could happen). Also, there is lots of blood dripping, pooling, and gushing from wounds (and being vomited by one animal). Overall, the film has a very good message and beautiful animation, but be aware that, especially for more sensitive kids, some of the scenes are quite intense and frightening.
Adult Written bybobbie April 9, 2008

unexpectedly gorey

i got this because common sense media said it was ok for 9+. i completely disagree, and i haven't done that before! the snakes covering the demon gods were creeping out my 11 year olds. the story eventually didn't make sense (the humans vs. gods vs. the earth has a confused ending - certainly nothing al gore would appreciate!) i wish we hadn't seen it. yes, the animation was good, but a child can't separate the story from the direction. it was really too graphic for younger kids - i think it deserves the pg-13 rating.
Parent of a 3 and 14 year old Written byVAstuart22 December 10, 2010
BEST ANIME MOVIE EVER!!!
Parent of a 17 year old Written byKakarot September 27, 2009

good for everyone but is violent at times

again one of the finest work of Mr.Miyazaki. bit violent though but movie conveys extremely high regards for nature and our system of balance with it with beautiful imagination and epic story.
Adult Written bylotusflower April 9, 2008
Parent of a 1, 7, and 8 year old Written byNaruto uzumaki August 23, 2009

Best movie in the world!!!!!

Awesome movie!!!!!!
Adult Written byParranormalHour February 5, 2012

Violent but Necessary

In order to get the point across the violence is (at least I believe) it is necessary. Think about it for a minute, if that boar dropped dead no violence would it have been the same? Would it be the same if there was no blood (Look up 4kids and Funimation One piece dub if you have issues imagining this). Would the message have been as strong without violence? Thought not, I'm not going to tell you how to parent but if you kid comes to you saying they want to watch this movie let them you can decide for your self just know that the violence makes a good point.
Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 29, 2009

Brilliant flick will Entertain

With a beautiful score to finsh the whole thing up.
Educator and Parent of a 7 year old Written bygrumblekitty September 18, 2011

Intense, but worth it!

I can't believe Common Sense Media says there are no positive messages in this movie. It's not just humans vs. animals, by any stretch. It's industrialism with the attendant disregard of nature vs. a clean, healthy environment, and imagining a world where nature can defend itself! Yes, it's violent. I strongly advise waiting to show it to your kids until they are old enough to take the extreme imaging, as mentioned in the other reviews. However, many Miyazaki films are strongly environmentally-friendly, for example Ponyo and Nausicaa. This one isn't as easy to follow, but the intended audience is older than the one for Ponyo. Nausicaa falls somewhere in between. But just because the end is a trifle confusing doesn't really dilute the very strong "take care of the earth--it's the only one we have" message. And it is a beautiful movie--the forest god is amazing!
Parent of a 1, 4, and 7 year old Written byaetheriadraconis December 9, 2015

Great story with strong environmental part

We've watched this anime with my 7 y.o and 4 y.o daughters. It was great, except of couple of pretty graphic scenes of dismemberment (at the very beginning, when samurai warriors massacred the village), but it was easy to explain in the terms of good/evil. Other scenes, including wormed demon gods didn't freaked them out, but carried really good message of how hatred transforms body and mind. In the end, seeing dying forest they cried - and, technically, sided with animals, said that people who did such an atrocity deserve to die. The main message of the movie is hard to explain to children less than 6 y.o., though. My little daughter understood it as "all people were bad" and "all animals were good", with a few exceptions - such as main heroes (good) and demon gods (bad). Older daughter was able to understand the motives of the people and that, in some sense, the "bad" characters had good motives too. So, as for the story - 6+, depends on maturity of the child. As for the graphic violence - could be 6+, 10+ or 12+ - again, depends on maturity and how they handle it. Mine had no nightmares or something.
Parent Written bykatykuns March 22, 2015
Never actually written a review, but feel I should after my 8 year old hadd a bad reaction to it. We love the SG movies, my girls have watched all of them except Grave of the Fireflies and today they watched Princess Mononoke. My daughter was so terrifed by it she nearly fainted... my partner had to hold her up and she wet herself in the bathroom. We had to actually call an ambulance because she looked like she was going to lose consciousness. Up until this evening we had tjhought she had a weird blood pressure problem (tests all came back fine) or has come down with a tummy bug. We now realise it was this film that made her so upset. We are feeling terribly guilty for showing it to her, as we believed it was suitable as it is a PG. Wish I had looked on here first. Not saying all kids with have this reaction, she is a more sensitive child, and a little immature for her age, but I felt that I should put a warning out to other parents with younger children that were considering this. Weirdly, she loved Nausicca which we worried about being too violent!
Adult Written bythewittyman27 April 9, 2008

excellent

how they say thi is 9+? if this wasnt animated, it would be r cuz like everyone loses their head or sumthin but it wuz so good