All parent member reviews for Prisoners

Adult Written byChristian Movie Buff September 26, 2013

Mind boggling, suspenseful, and incredibly intense

Wow, I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I walked into the theater to see "Prisoners". I had no idea that I would be seeing the most physically and emotionally intense movie I have ever watched. Prisoners is a dark, mind blowing child abduction thriller with fantastic performances (specifically from Jackman and Gyllenhaal), riveting suspense, and deep/complex moral questions to discuss and think about after the film. Now you should be warned that on top this is disturbing violence and imagery and strong profane language. Most abduction thrillers like this will focus mostly on the revenge and action. In this case, though there are some intense revenge scenes, it really delves into how strongly one holds onto there faith, how inhuman they can become, and how they can renew that faith. I for one have never been okay with torture, but what they did in this movie was they portrayed it in a horrible, inhuman way, in appose to one just doing it to get what they and never think back on it. If you're a mature 16 year old or older, and you've prepared to handle a dark 2 1/2 hour movie about finding two little girls who have been kidnapped, and appreciated great film making, I say give this one a shot, but be prepared.
Adult Written bywonder dove December 27, 2013

An intense experience!!!

What an incredibly sad, chilling film! It was very depressing and a real eye opener. If you're sensitive to child abduction movies (like my mom - although I'm trying to convince her to see it), then be aware that this one is very sad but real. Real life situations like this happen daily, this film explores each character's way of dealing with such tragedy and is also a test for everyone, how far are you willing to go to save a loved one? Some people will go too far. In this story, two families (neighbors) get together for a nice holiday dinner. When two little girls Anna and Joy (one daughter from each family) head outside to play, the parents realize it's been a while and they have not returned home. Tension builds when Anna's father Keller Dover (Hugh Jackman) will stop at nothing to locate his daughter while Joy's father Franklin Birch (Terrence Howard) is just as anxious as him although isn't interested in intentionally hurting anyone to find the truth. With the help of the cops and Detective Loki (Jake Gyllenhaal), they slowly but surely unravel the mystery and the truth behind a timid mentally challenged man Alex Jones (Paul Dano) who was the driver of a mysterious RV that the two girls once played around before they went missing. But they discover more then they bargained for and turns out that the case may involve multiple missing children from more than one abductor. The ending sends chills down your spine, it was a perfect ending. Amazing cast! The suspense never stops and will most definitely leave you with some questions after watching. Language is very strong with plenty of f-words (over 50), sh*t, @ss, Jesus, b*tch, hell, @sshole and more. Violence is strong and intense including lots of painful torturing of a disabled man with lots of blood and gore, a mans entire face is shown bloody and brutally beaten, a man chained, lots of screaming, a man is threatened with a large hammer, a man is put inside a small cell and boarded in with a shower that is often turned on to torture him with either freezing or scalding hot water, many shootings including a man graphically shoots himself in the mouth with blood and brain splatters, a man and woman shoot at each other with bloody results, a man is shot in the leg and thrown in a deep ditch, a woman is kicked in the stomach, a window is smashed, a disabled man chokes his dog while on a walk, dead body is discovered heavily decayed, a man learns of 16 other child murders, many suitcases are found with snakes and kids clothes drenched in blood, graphic bloody photos of children's clothes are shown, lots of angry arguments and outbursts. No sexual content. There is drinking and a scene of an intoxicated man on the floor. Kids are drugged and held hostage. A man is also drugged by a drink. Some prescription pills taken. Content is much too harsh for young ones, 16+ only.
Adult Written bychristian2011 October 21, 2013

The best film of 2013. A powerful and compelling experience.

Prisoners is widely noted for it's array of incredibly talented actors such as Hugh Jackman, Viola Davis, and Jake Gyllenhaal - whom give exhilarating and captivating performances throughout the film. The main character is a father who becomes flustered, enraged, and desperate to find the reasoning behind his child daughters sudden kidnapping. This eventually points out to a young man who seems to have a form of mental retardation, which of whom Jackman discreetly kidnaps and tortures him to the extent to potentially giving him valuable information to the source. Prisoners has very dark and intense psychological themes throughout - giving the audience the relational thought of "what would I do in this type of horrific situation?" It shows the desperate actions of a grief stricken father, and the ambition of a crass police investigator who eventually pinpoints the location of the kidnapper. The violence that occurs in Prisoners is infrequent and doesn't occur often, but when it does, it is moderately to extremely graphic and shocking. A man commits suicide, a short gunfight between two people, close-ups of a decomposed corpse, a mentally retarded man is tortured (beaten to a bloody pulp, takes forced showers with scalding/freezing water). Language isn't pervasive but is strong at some moments (use of f**k, sh*t). There's no sex or nudity in this film. A man goes on a drinking binge and a woman becomes dependent on psychiatric prescription medication, a person injects poison into another. Prisoners is recommended for older teens and adults due to the nature of two children getting kidnapped and the possible implications (pedophilia, sex trafficking, murder, rape); the grisly scenes of torture, infrequent strong language, and disturbing imagery. Violence (3/5) Language (3/5), Drugs (4/5), Sex/Nudity (0/5), Intense/Frightening Scenes (4/5)
Adult Written bykipwalker44 October 22, 2014

Jackman-Gyllenhaal revenge thriller is riveting, well-acted, but absolutely NOT for kids.

"Prisoners" kept me on the edge of my seat, and it kept me guessing. It also had some crazy twists including the ending, which ended on just the right note that will keep you guessing. Denis Villeneuve gradually tells a story that keeps you engrossed from start to finish, and makes you glued to the screen. Another thing I would like to mention is, the performances in this movie are stellar. Going in, I was iffy about Hugh Jackman starring in this movie. He's a great actor, don't get me wrong, but it is unusual for him to star in this type of movie, but he did a fantastic job in this movie. Jake Gyllenhaal was also great playing Detective Loki, he was very convincing, and I have underestimated how great of an actor he is. However, due to its disturbing themes, sometimes bloody violence depicting scenes of torture and suicide, this movie is not recommended for kids of any age.
Adult Written byslasher23 August 16, 2014

Realistically violent movie ever
Parent Written bySam Donder January 28, 2014

One of the best movies I have ever seen, but it is very intense

This is by far the best crime/thriller you will ever see, even though the pace is pretty slow. Even though I think a 15 year old could see it, many people just might not be mentally ready for it, because it is very intense, with the whole movie being about two missing girls, a man torturing a mentally challenged man to get information, the topic of children being kidnaped in daylight hanging over the whole movie, and the topic of being or becoming mentally disturbed. The violence is infrequent but when it comes it is very intense and bloody, you see a man shoot himself in the head and a man brutally tortures another man. Also several people are shown drinking and one man passes out from drinking to much. Also the camera work is flawless. Overall this movie is extremely intense and leaves you feeling alone and not safe, so even though this gets my vote for best picture(which it should have been nominated for), but definitely isn't for the light of heart.
Adult Written byverum December 17, 2013

Something to be learned

Yes it is violent, but I believe that older teenagers would understand that there is a message: revenge isn't just.
Parent of a 18 year old Written byTsion November 20, 2013

You Take Something With You...

Prisoners is one of the most well-crafted thrillers I have ever seen...but that's a mixed statement. On one hand, it means the movie is fantastically well-made, smartly written, and filled with incredibly powerful performances. On the other, it means that the movie really gets into your head, and it's hard to get out. You take a little with you when you leave the theatre, and that's not necessarily a good thing. The movie, which revolves around the kidnapping of two young girls and the manner in which the police and their parents separately go about finding them, is monumentally disturbing. Not in a flashy, gory way, but in a manner that creeps up on you. I didn't realize the movie had so much of an impact on me until after I went home and some time had passed. While watching the movie I didn't think it was that upsetting, but after its conclusion, I realized that I was still very on edge and unsettled. The movie is 2.5 hours long and is pretty slow-moving. The intensity broils slowly until the end, when it's overwhelming. I'm not gonna give away any plot points, but I will say that the movie is all about monsters. Some of them are good people who become terrible when forced to make unthinkable choices. Others are true devils in humans' bodies, using their lives to bring pain to others. In this movie, the audience glimpses a cinematic incarnation of true evil, and the uninhibited, explicit way that it's presented makes the movie entirely unsuitable for kids and teenagers. The theme of child kidnapping and abuse runs all through the movie, and is shown occasionally in an upsetting manner. Other violence includes torture, which is graphically shown with lots of blood, screaming, and pleading. A man's face is beaten so brutally that it becomes unrecognizable pulp. Additionally a man has scalding water poured on him while he is trapped in a room so small he cannot sit down for days on end. A few people are shot, with a good amount of blood spatter. There are more than 100 "f" words and other frustration-induced profanities. This movie is the least flashy, most realistic thriller I've ever seen. It's indisputably well-made, but if you aren't in the mood for its highly disturbing content or mixed messages, you might want to find something more clear cut and entertaining that doesn't hit quite so close to home.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez September 28, 2013

16 and up.

this dark drama thriller movie the prisoners is a dark disturbing movie with a dark story line but a good movie with some talented actors Hugh Jackman, Maria Bello,Terrence Howard, Viola Davis, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Paul Dano with that being said this thriller movie is good enough for your older teens but parents the prisoners has intense violence with bloody torture and imprisonment such as close-ups of a chained and brutally beat-up man's face, a young man who shoots himself in the head, a man forced to drink a sedative, a girl who's about to be poisoned to death People are shot, bludgeoned, tortured with scalding or freezing water, and imprisoned characters used strong language throughout the movie and there is a lot of drinking used such as whiskey and a kidnapper forces prisoners to consume a drug-laced drink.
Parent Written byMovieFan327 September 24, 2013

Possible Oscar nominee-Don't think so

Good genre. Way too slow in the middle. An unfulfilling ending that left too many loose ends. Would I recommend it (2.5 hrs)....no! Wait for VUDU rental