All parent member reviews for Psycho

Parent Written byPlague December 14, 2009

Psycho

All I have to say is... MASTERPIECE! Alfred Hitchcock = God.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion February 2, 2011

Perfect!

PSYCHO is Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece and is widely considered the pinnacle of his distinguished career. The movie, when released, was a crowd-pleasing, censor-busting spectacle that has since become a cultural icon and possibly the most influential movie ever made. PSYCHO is fifty-one years old this year, but retains it artistic merit and emotional depth. It may not shock as it did when it came out, but it gives every generation of viewers chills down their spine. Parents should realize that this film is still very scary, even for teens and some adults. The villian is a psychotic murderer, and all of these said murders (stabbings) are shown on-screen in shocking visual ways, with fast cuts and loud suspenseful music. There is a little blood, but since the movie is in black and white, the impact of that blood is diminished. Audiences will also see a few bloodless scuffles and a disgusting (but unrealistic) decomposed body. A couple is seen post-sex in bed (clothed, except he's shirtless), and they make some minor innuendo that will most likely soar over the heads of most viewers under 14 or 15. A male character spies on the lead female as she gets undressed, but all we see is her in a bra and skirt. We see a woman's bare back and legs as she showers, but the camera never comes close to anything explicit. All in all, this is a perfect example of fine, thrilling movie-making. If your older kid (or teen) is interested in scary movies or thrillers, or classics, then this is a great choice for them. However, young or sensitive kids should be kept far away until they're mature enough to handle the movie's classic frights.
Adult Written byfarrell1 May 9, 2009

HORRIBLE
Adult Written byalienbx April 9, 2008

Watch It at a Sleepover

This is the perfect movie for a couple of kids to watch together at a sleepover. (I'm forty-nine and saw it first that way back in 1972!) They should know that there will be a lot to think about when they are finished watching the movie... but one or two good scares along the way! This one has been copied by everyone, but Hitchcock was the only one how to do it right. Did you know that he appears in every one of his over fifty movies? See if you can find him in this one. No, he is NOT one of the people crossing in front of Janet Leigh's car as she makes her escape. And dig that music!
Parent of a 2, 10, 14, and 17 year old Written bySystemOfANintendo December 11, 2010

Classic Horror Movie

Classic movie for older kids and up. Terrifying, yet not gorey or bloody. Definitely one to watch over and over and over and over and over and over again.
Parent of a 4, 6, and 15 year old Written byslt208 November 3, 2010

Norman Bates is ready for a new generation of viewers!

This truly is one of the scariest movies ever made. It's also one of the greatest thrillers ever filmed. Most modern thrillers lack the subtlety and complexity of mood, character and plot that this film possesses. Because the style is so different from modern-day thrillers, a young audience that has never been exposed to this style of cinematography and plot development could find it boring, but with some help from a parent to give them background on Hitchcock films and Ed Geine, a younger audience can enjoy this more than the flashy and gory, quick-paced thrillers of today.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bychildrenrcool November 20, 2009

Amazing thriller, but extemely scary!

It is not extremely bloody, but just right.This is by far the scariest movie I have ever seen. It is so real, and could easily happen. I do not see why this site says for 15+, although it is only PG.
Adult Written byClassicCultReviewer June 17, 2009
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Simply a Masterpiece

Granted, the shock value is long gone since the scene that makes the plot so unique is arguably the most famous scene in all of film, but Hitchcock is a master of suspense . . . far better than the blood and gore fests we see today. Amazingly, in the shower scene . . . the knife NEVER touches her . . . partly because of film code at the time, but also because nothing works as well as your own imagination.
Adult Written byrickydoo85 April 9, 2008

Classic

This is the best horror film of all time. And it's not even that violent! Theres a few scenes including the classic shower scene and the death on stairs scene that may frighten little kids.
Adult Written byfamilyof6 November 7, 2014

In my experience...

I watched tons of scary things as a kid. I saw this a round 11 years of age.... and didn't take a shower without my mom in the bathroom for a year. I still am a little creeped out as an adult. Things really, really can affect our kids even when we just didn't think 'this one' would. . .
Parent of a 11 year old Written bySternAndFair February 24, 2014

IT WAS NOT A FUN MOVIE DO NOT WATCH

This movie was so bad I never want to see it again. Now, I am so mad as I can NOT go to bed and the movie, as I see it in my head, is so bad because the woman gets hurt and this man did it! And how could this happen, as I watch this I hold myself close to the pillow and keep the lights on. And did I mention I am very mad at my wife as she showed me this sick movie and I am now very upset. The mother is so horrible why would anybody make this movie? It is so bad I hope I never see it again. DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE
Parent Written byCoolkidz December 25, 2012

A classic

This movie is not gory or graphic I mean I saw this as a 9 year old and it was totally appropriate no graphic violence barely any sexual content and no swears or alcohol it's not even to scary you want a scary movie watch the ring or the grudge!
Educator and Parent Written byCarloNorris December 24, 2012

A Masterpiece This Generation NEEDS

This movie is a masterpiece and this generation NEEDS to see it. Nine is the youngest I would allow my child to see it.
Parent Written bytreat02 May 12, 2012

Caution: contains spoilers

This movie, I wouldn't say is a horror movie. It is more suspensful. I think that the only (scariest other then the killing's) SPOILIER* is when (at the end) the psycho's face turned into a skull (it faded into one). And the grandmother's dead body. Otherwise, this is a 5 star movie!
Adult Written bygreen_goblin May 8, 2009

13 year olds can handle it.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

simply the best!

One of the best horror movies ever made! Don't watch it alone!!!
Adult Written byShaunIsKing April 9, 2008

scary

i cant decide on rating. R is 2 much, pg-13 not right and PG way off. i sick 2 NR. some sexual stuff with themes of murder and 2 grphc killings.