Teen, 15 years old Written byCaptain_Tripps April 9, 2008

One of my Favorite Films of All Time

Perfect for any horror fan. Parents won't have to worry about sex, language, or gore, but keep in mind the film is very scary. This is probably okay for kids 13 and up.
Teen, 16 years old Written bythegodfather123456 April 29, 2011

The greatest horror/suspense film of all times... a must-watch if you haven't already.

A masterpiece from the horror genre. Don't listen to people who don't know what they're talking about like Jadenp (reviewer below) who laughs at this film. IT WAS FROM THE 60'S!!!!!!!!!! Do you expect for it to be as visually scary as films like Signs? Of course not! Use your brain for once! You have to think about the tension that these characters are going through, then you can look at me and tell me it is scary. This is Hitchcock's masterpiece. One of my 10 favorite films of all-time. I'm not saying it's one of the 10 BEST. All of the performances are great, but by far the best thing in this film is how Hitchcock creates tension, and how he creates a great climax so when you're at the end, you will be totally satisfied. I promise you will be on the edge of your seat, biting your nails and when the ending enrolls itself, your jaw will be dropped. Psycho has also one of the greatest scenes of all-time, which is the famous Shower Scene. (NOTE that the Shower Scene is soooooo good that I capitalized it). P.S. Just because this film is in B&W does not give you any reason whatsoever to not watch it right away. Many other films on the greatest of all-time list are in B&W like Casablanca, Raging Bull, and It's a Wonderful Life.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBBFC on CSM July 12, 2014

Contains one scene of strong violence, moderate horror and mental illness theme.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp February 14, 2011

not scary.

No language, sex, nudity, or violence. The famous 'shower scene' is so cheesy! its not scary at all! my little brother and I laughed at it! They dont show the knife even touching her! there's no actual violence. Haha, not scary at all.
Teen, 13 years old Written byelliekh December 27, 2015

A Great Movie

This movie is considered a classic, with great reason. Hitchcock, the director, was a household name when Psycho was released. He tends to use suspense over surprise. In this sense he always gives a bit of a warning when a scary part is coming. Young viewers might need help understanding the killer's condition in which caused them to murder the people. Along with that there is an unsettling part involving a corpse. CAUTION THE FILM IS NOT RATED NR. IT IS ACTUALLY RATED R. However the film was made when there was no PG-13. So I recommend this to anyone 12 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byelsbelspeace001 November 3, 2011

This is beyond scary too many scenes that leave you speechless, music is even scarier no kids should watch it
Teen, 13 years old Written byrbpeace May 22, 2010

Not THAT Bad

The way I look at it, it's not that bad. Psycho is a horror classic, and if a kid wants to see it, he/she might as well see it. Yet, at the same time, if a kid below 12 has even heard of this film, they don't need to see it. It does evoke some... fear, in a sense. It isn't "nightmarish," but there can be some post-viewing shivers, if you know what I mean. In my opinion, it isn't the shower scene that would "get" most parents. There is no nudity, and the violence can only be imagined. I will say that the review is slightly incorrect; if you are looking for it, you do see the knife touching the skin. Alfred Hitchcock had such a mind for things I'm sure he intended this subtlety. The scariest part for me was the revelation of a corpse. It wasn't violent, but it was definitely creepy. The only "violent" scene was the one in which the private investigator is climbing the stairs in the Bates Mansion, and "Mrs. Bates" comes out and murders him (sorry, spoiler). His face is slashed, and this could be viewed as violence. While I fully realize that the other "slasher" scenes are intending to be violence, modern times have brought children and teenagers to where no blood and no gore is not scary, and not effective. We must remember that this was released in 1960, when it was considered one of the scariest movies of all time. Even the remake (1998) was only slightly more horrifying. If you know your children cannot "do" horror films, don't let them watch this. But, if you have a movie-loving child, this is a must see. Without Psycho, we would be no where near where we are today, not just with horror films, but with all film.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheEmeraldStick March 12, 2016

Best movie ever 10/10

Alfred hitchcock's masterpeice. A must watch. One of the best endings to a movie ever. The killings are very well masked (the infamous shower scene we never see the knife enter the body, and no cleavage is shown. but we get the memo.) If you are worried about scare factor, it's about as scary as five nights at freddys 1, as in surprising, but not shocking, and scares don't last.
Kid, 10 years old February 19, 2014

An incredible horror classic that your "horror fan kids" are going to love.

The movie has an incredible storyline and top-notch acting. The movie has 3 mildly frightening scenes. The first one is of course that insanely famous shower scene where the main character is stabbed to death although the blood is barely visible because it is black and white and the stabbing is clearly fake. No nudity is seen in this scene or even the whole movie although in one scene a couple are in bed together. The second scene was not at all scary for me but might be scary for your family. A man's face is slashed with a knife and he falls down the stairs. It's not as bad as it sounds. The third scene is probably the most frightening. A decomposed body in a chair is used to scare a man and a woman. The son of the lady whose body that was tried to kill the two people but the man saves himself and the lady. No profanity is used.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjohnwi312 December 27, 2009

Classic horror!

Psycho is too scary for young kids and many older kids, but older kids who don't mind getting a little scared will love this one. One of Alfred Hitchcock's best movies - a gripping, classy horror movie. Completely perfect from beginning to end.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDKRUMBLE725 October 8, 2009

Classic horror must see

First off, i have a hard time calling this a horror because there arent many scary scenes. God knows how the movie got an R rating. There is virtually no gory violence shown like in movies like Halloween or SAW. It is a kid safe horror movie that may even bore some viewers. Watch it and post what you think...

It scared me half to death!!!

This movie is one of the scariest movies I've seen. Even without the famous shower scene, it would still be scary. I recomend this for mature 10 year olds.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDarth Petra April 9, 2008

The plot is so twisted, you really don't know what's going to happen next. Anthony Perkins is a terrific actor, and he makes you feel sorry for Norman, although you are disgusted by his behavior. Not appropriate for young kids, but older teenagers will like it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byindiana5 October 23, 2016
Teen, 15 years old Written byJessemovies101 October 19, 2016

One of my favorite films!

Psycho (1960) is an AMAZING film! Amazing plot, villain, characters, and plot twist! The movie is not too inappropriate, I think it's okay for 13+! Violence: 3/5. People are stabbed and killed, but it's not graphic at all. Sex: 2/5. Some innuendo. The film starts with two lovers in bed after they've obviously had sex, but it's just suggested. Partial nudity is also in the film, but it's not graphic. Language: 0/5. NONE!
Kid, 10 years old October 14, 2016

psycho reveiw

this awesome film is one of the best horror movies I have ever seen though it is a little scary. the shower scene everyone talks about isn't that scary though the blood is a little frightinig
Teen, 15 years old Written bybondgurl July 26, 2016
Kid, 12 years old April 13, 2016

The #1 Movie in the Hole Universe

Alfred Hitchcock's Masterpiece, the master of suspense has did again, but EVEN better. when you finish watching this movie watch the 2nd one, 3rd one, 4th one and the remake to Alfred Hitchcock's Masterpiece that is directed by Vincent Van Sant and the series Bates Motel that's on A&E. There is one scene but it's the famous shower scene. Some Violent Images, when you see blood it's in black and white. A man drags a fully naked dead women out of the shower it does not show anything it blocks the scene and drags the women in a trunk. And some mild profanity. But is still is a great movie to watch anytime.
Teen, 17 years old Written byhammittjenn March 2, 2016

So lost!

The filming wasn't that good because the camera movement was great. Like when a horror scene comes out, the camera would go back and forth and would move the camera around a lot as if I was a documentary. And the actor weren't that good as acting because the part the lady was in the shower and was getting stabbed. Well, it was horrible because the acting seem unrealistic and the "old lady" that was stabbing was just moving the knife in one postition. So bad acting. And the blood was weird in the bath tub.
Teen, 17 years old Written byAshleyLamo13 February 28, 2016

I gave this movie 4 stars because I think it is one of the best thrillers that there is. All I kept thinking throughout the entire film was, "Oh my god...what's going to happen?" There were three main "scare" parts throughout the entire film. The first was the infamous shower scene that Hitchcock made SO well, many people can recall it if you'd ask. You could even turn the sound off to watch it and you'd still be effected. As you progress through the movie, you start to notice a lot of the silhouettes that appear right before a major scene takes place. Just like in the shower scene, you don't see the mother's face as she stabs Marion Crane in the shower. The next major scene is when the PI gets stabbed and has a slash against his face, then falls down the stairs with blood all over his face. Like I said, there was a silhouette of the mother again. Of course, there was also a lot of camera shifting and movement added to the scenes afterwards and has a big affect on how it makes you feel. The last major scene is where you see a mummified body for a few seconds, and that's all. Hitchcock has very good transitioning as well as his as where he places his silhouettes in every scene and makes this thriller movie amazing.