All parent member reviews for Public Enemies

Adult Written bydarthsitkur August 10, 2012

badass crime action thriller

tons of intense action, an amazing theme song, and an awesome performance by Johnny depp as John Dillinger, what's not to like?, action fans will surely love this movie lol
Adult Written by4Spice June 13, 2010

i really loved the movie one of my personal favorite so much action and shooting you'll love it jonny depp is really talented 14 and over for sex language and violence this movie it worth watching
Adult Written byYldnole January 28, 2010

Pretty good flick

Thought it was well done...Depp is always great...violence was no worse than the Bonnie and Clyde movie back in the 70's. Cast did a good job and I liked that the movie didn't glorify Dillinger...hs was a killer. A bit gory but it made a point of how terrible it is to live that lifestyle.Would let my 16 year old watch it ....it did follow the truth about 60-40.......
Parent Written byPlague January 7, 2010

Public Enemies

A great movie with lots of action. One of Depps best movies to date.
Adult Written byMovie Man August 7, 2009

Disappointing.

With actors such as these why did this movie make me fall asleep? The only redeeming value was a few good scenes of acting and the fairly-well-played-out shootouts. That's it.
Adult Written byhelpme July 29, 2009

very very good ages 13 up
Adult Written byREDSOX101 July 21, 2009

Johnny Depp and Christian Bale Go At It In An Oscar Worthy Movie

Johnny Depp plays the ledgendary bank robber John Dillinger in an oscar worthy performance. Set in the 1930's, basically it's a Crime/Romance/Action. It's a great movie with good role models and great acting performances. There's not to much violence and not much language.
Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written byContrarryMary July 5, 2009

Messages of story valuable enough to overcome extreme, realistic violence.

First of all, the movie is excellent. It is a character piece, so rather than a continuous plot line, time is inconsequential to the focus shifting from one main character to another. Violence is EXTREMELY gruesome (bullet shot into back of head shown exiting the front, dying man attempting to talk having blood run from his mouth, realistic wounds with blood running until person is dead). This bothered me more than my 14-year-old son. My husband's comment was that when he was our son's age, not much phased him. I think he has become immune through video gaming. If your child is sensitive and easily relates to people in movies or books, they are likely to be bothered by the close-up and realistic violence. Be aware that a woman is beaten up by FBI agents. There is a stark contrast between FBI agent Melvin Purvis and the criminals he apprehends. He is portrayed as a staunch believer in doing what is right and using whatever he needs to get the job done. However, he is shown as being just, also. When he finds another agent has cuffed a woman to a chair for hours, beaten her, and allowed her to sit in her own urine, he stops the agent, picks up the woman, and carries her away to be treated more humanely. I'm not sure why other reviews see John Dillinger being portrayed as a likable playboy/celebrity. I thought he was clearly portrayed as ruthless and grandiose. His grandiosity was so great that he made no plans for the future -- tomorrow always comes. At another point, he walks into a police station John Dillinger task force area. There is the contrast of him as intellectually calculating versus Baby Face Nelson who was just plain crazy. He is portrayed as loyal and loving to friends, but this screwed value system adds to his complexity. He rarely shoots others, seems to go out of his way to avoid it. However, lots of people around him are more than willing to do it. Again, unless you have a sensitive child, I think the cinematography, the editing, and the messages of the story are valuable enough to overcome the extreme, realistic violence.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byMaxmum July 4, 2009

History lesson for film buffs, not kiddies.

Obviously this is not a children's movie...! Appropriate for smart teens with critical discernment and interest in film. The direction and visual flair are engaging, but the story is weaker than you'd expect. Fine performances. See me review it with my father at: www.youtube.com/gabndad
Adult Written bymooseman July 2, 2009

Fine for older teens.

An amazing cinematic experience. You should know that this movie doesn't fold any punches. everything is presented as cold, solid fact. No melodramatic romance, no softening of characters, it's essentially realistic. Shootouts are intense, realistic, and bloody, though not gratuitous. There is a small amount of sex, but is done very tastefully. Language is kept to a minimum with mild profanities and one use of the F word. Acting is fantastic. Cinematography is amazing. the only bad thing i noticed about the movies is that the timing of the music seems a little off in parts. this is a must see.