Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Puss in Boots

Swashbuckling adventure features irresistible warrior cat.

Adult Written by<3Troll November 7, 2011

OK, but not for kids

WOW: My review gets deleted when it was top of the list, thanks "Common Sense". Obviously, my review was the top for one reason, it made sense. I stand the same on my opinion, and have absolutely no clue as to why it would get removed, because me and obviously a lot of other people thought it was helpful. I am re-posting it again: ....................................................................... The name is perverted, and is meant to be. There's so much thrown in jokes about sex and stuff its overkill. They try and hide it in to keep it PG rated, but its completely apparent. Puss calls himself a lover all throughout the movie. I didnt let my kids see it after i saw it, and neither should you. Of coarse, (as i stated before) this is MY opnion. The movie is really aimed toward older people, but they make it animated so kids will want to see it. They party a lot. They drink a lot. Someone dies (i dont want to spoil who). I stand as i did before, iffy for 12.

Adult Written bydanie3399 December 30, 2011

Suicide & innuendos?

Parents should know that the movie begins with a one night stand. Puss is tip-toeing out of the room, when the feline wakes, he tries 3 times, but doesn't get her name correct. There are multiple innuendos that I just think they could leave out. There is a reference to catnip as if it is marijuana, I believe could have been left out. There are several bar scenes, however Puss only drinks milk. I think the overall message was wonderful. Puss was a wonderful positive role model, even under pressure he always wanted to do the right thing. He always respected his mother. Suicide of a major character?? No matter how heroic, that should not be in a film that some with take toddlers to see! All in all, I took my 10 year old to see it and was not real comfortable with all the innuendos &amp; scenes. See &lt;3Troll's review.

Parent of a 2 and 8 year old Written bySmurfette2009 November 3, 2011

Too much sexual content

Took 8 year old and 2 year old to see. Kids loved but too much sexual content. My 8 year old liked the movie, but she didn't like all the kissing.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byNH_Seacoast_Family March 6, 2013

Revenge is not something to teach

This entire movie is about revenge and in my opinion is completely inappropriate for children. It shocked me and my family when it was revealed that the Egg's entire reason for being nice to Puss was to get back at him.

Adult Written bybklynmama December 12, 2011

Not Appropriate for young kids, Too poorly written for anyone older

I found the entire movie really awful. The characters were unlikable, there was much too adult sexual innuendo and far too much violence for small children, including the death of one of the characters. The fact that it's animated has many families taking their small children, but we saw many parents walk out including our friend with her 6 year old. I was embarrassed to have suggested it, but had assumed it was appropriate for the kids based the rating by Common Sense Media. But, reviews are subjective and I should have reviewed it myself first. Truthfully, I feel that it's just a bad movie. Inappropriate for young kids, poorly written and acted so that older kids won't enjoy it.

Adult Written byBreadbakerMD63 November 7, 2011

Suicide of a Major Character? Not Acceptable

(Spoiler alerts) I was appalled by the message that suicide is heroic, especially given the difficulties veterans are having reintegrating with American society and the high rate of suicide among them. Couldn't the filmmakers think of some other way to let Humpy Dumpty redeem himself? The message that fat people with Southern accents (Jack and Jill) are baddies was a depressing stereotype. Overall, the movie starts out fun and has a few charming moments but the plot soon starts to spin it wheels. I don't recommend it.

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written bybrown_eyed_girl October 28, 2011

Fun adventure flick with no crass humor

There was some mild innuendo, although much less than the Shrek movies. There wasn't a fart joke in the entire movie so that was refreshing. Several scenes set in bars, although Puss always drinks milk. A human shown drinking from a brown bottle and a champagne bottle features in an escape scene. A joke about Puss using catnip I wish they'd have cut. I could have done without the constant references to him being a lover but other than dancing and rubbing noses there's no romance in the movie. Many of the main characters start out as double-crossers but in the end they realize the importance of loyalty and redeem themselves. I wouldn't say the movie has a good message but it's more of a rollicking adventure (with adorable kitties!) than a morality play. Lots of dramatic tension and close escapes which may make very young ones anxious. Lots of cute cat touches in the animation. A good time and enjoyable for adults without making you squirm about the idea of your kid repeating a line later. Thankfully, Donkey doesn't make any cameos.

Adult Written bybecarefulhavefun November 23, 2011

Okay movie but be alerted of end of movie theme.

Be prepared to talk about (spoiler alert) Suicide to your young kids. Although this movie is overall okay for most kids and not as bad as many movies out there, there is a scene at the end that is disturbing and brings up questions and confusion for kids. Both my 4 year old and 13 year old asked a lot of questions about the character essentially committing suicide and then another character taking him to heaven because - after a movie of him doing all bad things - he's truly good on the inside. Hard for young kids to work through but if you can get past that, it's okay. Not great, just okay.

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byGamecrafter November 16, 2011

Meh

The animation is good, as you'd expect, but frankly I think that's about all that's redeeming here. To me, it's another installment in a rather disappointing trend of today's "kids films" with plots and characters that are more suited for older audiences than kids. Puss in Boots is basically about betrayal, grudges, revenge, and greed. Wee! Just because you present the story in cute character form (kitties and Humpty Dumpty) doesn't automatically make your film 'for kids'. Mine laughed maybe 3 times during the whole thing, and were generally stressed the rest of the time because everyone's arguing and frowning the whole time. It just makes those films that manage to handle conflict with grace and equal parts fun (Finding Nemo, Lion King, Toy Story, etc) that much more cherished.
Adult Written byRob J October 28, 2011

Worth it.

Great movie for kids and cat lovers.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byellamc November 6, 2011

Age 5 with some reservations.

We took two 5 year olds and they loved it, I think mostly for the animation. The storyline was a bit over their heads, but they still enjoyed the film. I felt some scenes were intense, but in questioning them , neither was afraid during or after the movie. There is one scene where a guard tells Puss to " shut up" (words we do not use at home) but anything else , like references to catnip and Puss being a " lover" were over their heads. The movie cats were enchanting to them and they thought Humpty was naughty, but they LOVED Puss and Soft Paws.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byElliott and Gwen April 28, 2016

i watched with a 3 year old and it was a great movie

It wasn't too scary for the 3 year old, but she probably didn't understand it. My 5 year old loved it. I wish there wasn't so much racy language and conversation but it went over their heads luckily.
Adult Written byJEDI micah April 3, 2012

HE'S BEEN A BAD KITTY!

No doubt, parents, your kids will want to see this movie. I really like it! The animation is amazing, the story is good, the humor is clever, and it is a great adaptation to the Shrek series! You may, though, want to discuss with your kids about the amount of peril in this movie. Other than that, it's a great movie for the whole family!

Parent Written byPhil4vs8Mom February 27, 2014

Be prepared to explain a few things....

I have avoided this movie because of its origin in the Shrek movies (which I have also avoided), but my son asked if we could get it from Netflix and, based on the Common Sense rating, I said okay. There was some adult humor that I wish could have been left out, such as Humpty hinting at what happens to eggs in prison, and Puss using catnip for his "glaucoma"; most of this went over my younger child's head, but my 10 year-old picked up on some of it and wanted it explained. The suicide didn't seem traumatic to my kids, and was palatable because the character sacrificed himself to save others. Overall it was fun, had some good music, great animation and voices, and some good themes about friendship and redemption.
Adult Written bySTRIDER9 April 7, 2013

give it a try see what you think

Its not really good like i thought it would be

Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 11, 2012

I AM PUSS IN BOOTS!

I just used his main catchphrase for my review title.This movie cracked me up! I was a huge fan of the Shrek movie franchise,but this is even better yet! The CGI is unique!
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byMattmchugh March 30, 2012

Better than I expected, with very little that's inappropriate

There's really nothing objectionable for any age in this movie. The constant chases and swordplay are so stylized that they hardly seems to qualify as "violence." And the handful of sexual innuendos are so sly and mild, there's nothing awkward you'll be asked to explain later. The one line you'll get asked about involves Puss explaining his stash of catnip as "It's for my glaucoma." Funny, but be prepared for questions from kids paying attention. Otherwise, you've got a decent adventure -- magnificently animated -- with a fair number of chuckles for all ages.
Parent of a 1 year old Written byHolly R. October 15, 2018

Inappropriate humor

It's inappropriate and all the humor that is actually funny is aimed at adults. There's a reference to marijuana usage by comparison to catnip and it's mindless. There's mild profanity heard in the background. And the sexual content is beyond what you would expect from a modern PG. Plus the story line is just stupid. You are better off watching Shrek than this spin off.

Adult Written byWill loves movies June 1, 2013

Pray for mercy.

Puss in Boots, the spin-off from the Shrek movies, is a great family movie. The positve messages are that of redemption, and that as Puss says: "it is never too late to do the right thing." The sexual content in the movie are as follows: in the beginning of the movie, it is strongly implied that Puss spent the night with a female cat as there are some empty milk bottles and fish bones. He also gets dressed and leaves. Puss and Kitty Softpaws do flirt and eventually kiss at the end. Not a lot of violence but it is a bit intense at the end. There is one scene in a bar with men drinking. If you like Shrek and was a big fan of Puss in Boots, then you are going to love this movie. Thanks for reading.

Adult Written byfcparent March 18, 2012

Mostly harmless

meh... it was ok. Cats sword fighting...cats drinking milk in a bar, cats pussyfooting around sexual themes, cat as Lothario, old rehashed jokes, slightly twisted retelling of old nursery rhymes. Aside from the catnip as a drug and milk as alcohol references, it didn't have anything too terrible for kids, but nothing particularly good, either. Overall, not bad for a rainy day movie with nothing else to do. Caution on the overt sexuality for kids under 9. Very young kids probably won't even notice it, (but it gets in there anyway).