Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Race to Witch Mountain

Sci-fi remake is action packed and intense for a PG film.

Parent of a 7, 9, and 12 year old Written bymommajoanie August 29, 2009

PG Rating FRAUDULENT

Do not allow anyone under 12 years old to see this movie that SHOULD have been rated PG-13 AT LEAST for all the excess violence. A great movie for those 12 and older, lots of action and adventure - despite obvious product-placement. I have never let my children watch anything like this before age 12 - but, regretfully, did NOT check the reviews ahead of time. Shame on me for not checking (also trusted Disney, PG, kids movie...) SHAME ON YOU, DISNEY! Shame on those of you letting your young children watch this kind of crap and worse! As an educator, I see first-hand every day the effects of TOO MUCH MEDIA, TOO MUCH VIOLENCE and the OVER-SEXUALIZATION of our children - to the point that NO ONE seems to think ANYTHING IS WRONG! How disgusting...We REAP what we SOW, America!

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byMark in Harlow August 16, 2009

Great for kids of all ages (including one of 39yr's old!!)

My Kids Loved it. Youngest (4) found a few scenes a little perilous, but manageable. Very exciting for them as it was almost 'grown' up entertainment (yes I enjoyed it too!) so a good film for everyone to sit down and watch together.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byLeilah Stewart March 29, 2009

Loud and intense violence may scare your child

Our 8 year old was shielding her eyes from all the explosions and intensity of the two children being chased. The action is very fast paced and the noise level quite loud. If your child is sensitive to these situations you would be better off seeing something else.

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byHighPlainsMom August 11, 2009

A Movie That Adults Will Also Enjoy

I've read all the reviews and almost universally it seems that younger girls reacted more negatively to the action than did the boys. Parents may want to take that into account. My husband and I watched this with our two sons (9 and 12) and we all thought it was a fun action/thriller. No one was disturbed by the violent content. (For the record, we do not allow Teen games or PG-13 films.) It can be difficult for us to find age-appropriate movies that don't bore the adults to tears. This film was entertaining for all. If your children are more sensitive then definitely check out the original Witch Mountain movies.
Parent Written bygarden gal April 16, 2009

Too violent/smash em up

My 8 year old loved the movie. I found it too violent with the pre-eminent message throughout being "if someone gets in your way just mow them down with force." The concept was fine and could have been really cute if they'd done away with all the violence. Would love to see someone do a movie with the Hitchcock approach...you know something happened but you didn't need to actually see it. I wouldn't take my 8 year old daughter if I'd known.

Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byConcerned Dads ... August 28, 2009
Give it a break guys, a wholesome if cartoon-violence style film suitable for 6 and up.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bybluecorn June 10, 2009

Adult Written byoiv25409 April 20, 2009

Not appropriate for kids under 10

I think this movie is really grat overall, except for all the very intense violence that could easily go over the heads of some people.

Adult Written byTVBrain March 26, 2009

Mosst violent Disney movie ever.

The boys (10,12) were entertained. Amazed that we got my 14 year old to see it. "Not as bad as I though it was going to be," was his review. THIS IS THE MOST VIOLENT KIDS MOVIE I have ever seen. The final escape involves a hail of bullets that would make Scarface jealous.

Parent of a 3 and 11 year old Written byNilus January 12, 2019

NOT for young children

I read the reviews, every one of them. My husband did too. We thought some seemed a little ‘uptight’ maybe and that armed with the foreknowledge of what to expect, we could appropriately cover eyes and strategically leave the room to skip scenes. It wasn’t enough. My boys are 11 and nearly 4. My 4 year old likes Halloween, routinely pretends to be Dracula, and sleeps with a Jack Skellington ‘teddy bear’. Even knowing what to expect and with boys who *like* spooky things- this was too much for both of them. We were doing ok, skipping some of the evil witch and the flashback scenes (both mentioned in prior reviews), and seeing the gags in the first half of the movie thought it was going to be just fine. (Magical Cat poop). BUT when the zombie Isaac kisses his wife it all went downhill. Every time we were ready to jump back in and watch there was another scene to skip and another. It wasn’t gruesome, just creepy, but it was the type of things you would see in a horror film for adults, images you see for just a moment and it’s enough to stay with you... Finally, with both boys very upset as they caught glimpses along the way, we tried to find a spot near the ending to tune in on-so we could have a happily ever after closure. (Not totally successful). I’m reminded of one of the reviewers saying ‘I feel I failed my children’ because I do. My instincts were against the movie, they begged and we gave in- I am so sorry I did. Skip this one unless you have older children or if your kids are already at the level of say - Stranger Things, you’ll be fine. If they haven’t seen anything more frightening than Harry Potter -let it go. About 20 minutes later, my younger son was still afraid to be in a room without me holding him tightly-it’s going to be a long night...

Parent of a 8, 11, and 13 year old Written byfriend of toodleloo June 8, 2009

Not as bad as some said.

I was really nervous about taking my 8, 11, and 13 year old to see this movie after reading the reviews here. I don't let them play T rated video games and try to limit their violent exposure in movies. However, I thought this movie was o.k. My kids loved it. The 8 year old is a boy and he thought it was great and scoffed at being scared during it. I think they found it exciting.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byejsmama March 27, 2009

Save your money and rent the original!

I took my 8-year-old son to this and regret it. He was not scared, but I was appalled at the level of violence and the poorly written screenplay. I agree with the other reviewer who said it contributes to the desensitizing of kids to excessive violence. Mostly this was a vehicle for "The Rock" to flex his muscles. The kids were one-dimensional characters who did not solve their own problems, unlike the original. They are simply flat characters waiting to be rescued by Rock-dude. We rented the original for comparison and it is so much better for young kids! That story has a much better plot, well-developed characters who you care about, humor appropriate to kids, etc. It's a fun, nostalgic flashback for those of us who saw it in the 1970s. Save your money and rent the original, have a pizza at home, and spare your kids the gratuitous violence!

Parent of a 12 year old Written byAZMoviegoer March 22, 2009

Great movie for older kids and parents!

We really enjoyed this movie. The action, violence, and peril are intense for younger kids, but perfect for our 12-year-old son. The main characters display a lot of positive qualities, and there was nothing that we considered inappropriate for my son's age. I wish they'd make more movies like this, that parents and older kids can enjoy together!
Parent of a 1, 6, and 9 year old Written byjdelmonte August 6, 2009
I was uncomfortable watching hand to hand fighting and gunfire with my nine year old daughter. Although she seems to love action adventure movies, there was entirely too much violence for 8+.

Parent of a 7 and 18+ year old Written byMidwestMom June 26, 2009

Surprisingly violent but kind of fun action-adventure flick

I wish that I'd seen these reviews before I took my 8-year-old daughter to see it. But that said, she really enjoyed it and is going to see it again with her 12-year-old cousin It was far more violent than I expected--but not overwhelmingly so. On the plus side, it's not explicitly sexual and there's no profanity. I reluctantly have to admit that this is an OK action adventure flick for kids who aren't troubled by intense explosions and somewhat gross aliens. I found it boring--don't look for deep characters or plot. It was a tolerable diversion at the $1 theatre during a hot summer night ;-) We usually avoid stuff that's this violent...but it's not awful and has some fun & entertaining moments...

Adult Written byA&Ksmom March 21, 2009
Yes there is a fair amount of violence, but I took the same children to see "Coraline" recently and they found that film much more scary, despite the animation. Personaly, I'd like to see a bit more character developement. I didn't feel 'vested' in them and didn't really care if they survived or not. The film inferred about Jack's other issues (prison etc), but didn't fix, close or develop them at all. Don't bring it up if the story doesn't need it.

Parent of a 9 and 15 year old Written byMeowstiic T. October 22, 2017

Horrid Special Effects, Ruins Everything Else

The acting is mediocre. The fx are horrid. It's not that good, and The Rock can't fix that.

Adult Written byKiller Bunny February 8, 2010

A bit of a flop but younger kids will like it

The movie was a bit boring. There is a lot of shooting but no one gets shot.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bychaya December 26, 2009
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 26, 2009

should be rated PG-13

there was a lot more intense vilont parts then i thought there would be. And in some parts it actually scared me.