Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Rain Man

Drama about autistic savant has profanity, mature themes.

Adult Written bySister Helen May 10, 2013

TERRIBLE!

i hated this movie. nobody should see. DO NOT LET CHILDREN SEE IT. it was disgusting.

Adult Written bymdog April 9, 2008

AWESOME!!!!!!

Great movie. not an explicit sex scene. tom cruise says the f*** word every other minute. But still if your kid is over 13 he/she can see this movie. GREAT ACTING.
Adult Written bysimpleseth July 11, 2014

Classic!

This is a very good movie. If it was released today, it would get PG-13 rating.

Adult Written bymiarox6666 February 19, 2009

"I cried! I laughed!"

This movie is wonderfull!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byshinepie October 7, 2010
good one but messages need to be explained further for 14-16 ages.
Adult Written byStarDark999 July 19, 2014

Adult Written byLowe's man March 1, 2014

realistic in its portrayal of autism

This movie shows the strengths and weaknesses of autistic people (although the individual strengths and weaknesses vary from person to person). It also shows the pains and pleasures of living and working with someone with autism- or any disability. Rather than sugarcoating autism, it portrays autism realistically. Raymond's explosive fits are realistic. So is his special ability- and the limitations of that ability- at mental arithmetic. His extremely literal interpreation of the words don't walk while crossing the street is realistic as well. Charlie's initial anger and resentment toward his brother are also realistic, as is the love he increasingly shows as the movie goes on. The best scene is perhaps the scene at the casino, where Raymond knows which cards will come up next and the security guards mistakenly thought that he "counted into" the cards, as this shows how typical autistic behavior is sometimes misinterpreted by others. A great movie. One word of warning, though: high functioning people in the autism spectrum may not see the similarities between themselves and Rain Man the first time they watch it since they're much higher functioning than he is. I know that was true of me (I have Asperger's Syndrome). It was also true for an autistic man named Paul McDonnell. But I saw the similarities when I saw the movie the second time years later. When Paul McDonnell saw the movie the second time he saw the similarities as well. So, while high functioning people in the autism spectrum may not see the similarities between themselves and Rain Man the first time they watch, they probably will the second time.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byIrene F. May 6, 2017

Excellent film to watch with 7th- grade + boys

Sex and Swearing don't bother me at this level--fairly understated. A great movie and allows for a good discussion of Autism and mental differences , I thought. The car stuff and Tom Cruise being so insensitive kept the plot clipping along at the right pace for a 13 year old boy. Too much consumerism, yes, but the point of the movie is that the jerk slowly learns that having a family is more important than owning a Rolex and driving a Lambo. It's a very 'boy' movie, no meaningful role for a female actress, not really, but a good way to spend a Friday night.

Adult Written byTexaveryjr November 7, 2017

Adult Written byLucast1934 January 17, 2019

Read this

Great movie, very funny. Only reason why it’s rated R is because of language. Main character Tom Cruz plays says F**k like 50 times during the whole movie. It’s like every minute but it goes well with his character because he is always frustrated and angry, so when he says it it makes it much more funny. Brief sex, girl is getting dressed shoes small glimpses of her tits with Nipple but very hard to see. Very good movie, highly suggest it.