Parent reviews for Ralph Breaks the Internet

Colorful, clever sequel tackles complexity of online world.

Adult Written byjamerikan November 21, 2018

Awesome with some NIGHTMARISH images

Dad review of Wreck It Ralph 2. Mostly spoiler free. IMO this is for older kids. Even if your younger ones like the first movie. This one is more intense and realistic. As a movie fan this is a good movie, and a lot of fun. To be clear, I’m no prude. Been watching movies at the theater and home with my son since he was 2, including some intense ones like The Iron Giant (highly recommended). Viewing movies at home is probably easier on the kiddos than a dark and loud theater. On to Ralph 2… About 1/2 way in there is a pretty intense violent/action-packed car chase in a dystopian city…think Mad Max. About 2/3 of the way in the movie gets dark with some nightmarish images. If you want I suggest heading to the exit after Vanellope’s two scenes with the Disney Princesses (super funny BTW) First there is a worm like character with two heads that's a little unsettling, and rushes into the movie for a purposeful scare. Then there is a funny musical number but includes scary clowns (!) Next is a freakish snake-like computer virus monster. The most unsettling images are of a giant King Kong like monster made from thousands of little Ralphs. All the little Ralphs make-up the monster's writhing skin. Finally, the movie is long. At just under 2 hours. Recommend finding a theater with reserved seating and sitting down about 20 minutes after the posted show time (check with your theater about how long they run previews.) There is no short film before Wreck It Ralph 2, but there is a completely unnecessary intro from the filmmakers that burns a few precious minutes. If you’re unsure I’d recommend viewing the movie yourself before bringing the kiddos.

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byPeter Pan Daddy November 24, 2018

Disappointing and dark

I very much enjoyed the first part of this movie, and found myself pleasantly pleased with the characters and the message .... UNTIL they visit the game "Slaughter Race". Seriously? "slaughter" is the descriptive we need? The place was really dark, dangerous, violent and I think I would have been ok, had it not re-entered in such a profound way later in the movie. I took my 9 and 5 year old, and regretted it for my 5 year old. Disney movies are edging way too dark (think of Screen Slaver from Incredibles 2) for my taste. I wouldn't bring a child under 8-9 for this one. The message of leaving a "safe" word to settle on a dark and dangerous path, is not really what I want my children to focus on.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byyourhomeguide November 21, 2018

OK sequel, with good messeges

I have a 12 year old son, 7 year old daughter and a 1 year old daughter. I took the older 2 to see the new movie, since they enjoyed the first Wreck-It Ralph. My kids loved this movie and so did I, but I also had a few problems. It had great messeges about friendship and being safe online. There were some good role model characters for boys and girls. There was a bit more violence then I was expecting. The crew enters a racing game with car crashes and player "dying". The ending action scene also may cause some frights for little ones. There was a married couple and a few kisses,(a dating website is mentioned but very breifly also) but really no sexual content Of course there was potty humor, but no swearing. The consumerism was honestly out of control. There was everything from Youtube to Google to Disney itself. A scene in a bar themed game. (The characters drink root beer though) so not much drinking or drugs. That's my review!

Adult Written byBecky787 November 22, 2018

Too dark

I had high expectations considering we love the first one. Too dark, in my opinion. Ralph in a princess dress, quick creepy clown appearance and it just felt dark and heavy.
Adult Written byCSeattle November 21, 2018

Not like the first

Very unfortunate sequel. Our 3 and 5 year olds love the first one, but this went off the deep end. Violence, scary, dark, depressing. Not appropriate for younger kids. It's such a bummer!

Adult Written bylmacon November 22, 2018

Not as good as the first one

My daughter thought that there were too many creepy things for kids under 8. She said it had a good friendship story at the end. As a parent I think they always try to put drinking in as a normal part of dealing with problems. Even though it is root beer, I think that starting to get kids in that mindset at an early age is not something I think should be taught.

Adult Written byElBurritoBandito November 22, 2018

Unexpectedly good

The short version : it's a cute movie with a deep message. The message will go over little kids heads, but it's fun enough for them to enjoy regardless. Nothing terrible in my opinion. Disney challenges the traditional gender "norms" they created for their princess by historically portraying princesses as being in need of male rescue by having the princesses ultimately save a major characters life on their own. In my opinion, not a bad thing,others may disagree. The long version : 1st, I don't think that children much younger than 7 or 8 will fully understand most of this one, it definitely deals with some deeper issues. That said, my 7 year old loved it because it was cute, funny, and had resolution in the end. If you don't want spoilers, stop here... Still here? Good.... I think there are 3 primary audiences for this movie. 1.) "tweens" ~ people in this age group are typically experiencing the internet and social media for the very first time. This movie offers a subtle caution that not everything on the internet is what it appears to be on the surface level. It can be a vicious place with many dangers. 2.) older teenagers ~ One of the primary themes of this movie is dealing with the topic of friendship and the complexity of maintaining friendships when your dreams take you down a different path than someone you love. One of the characters even comments about how Ralph made some poor decisions that hurt Vanellope, but also bent over backwards in sacrifice for her by saying "it's complicated". It also deals heavily with insecurities, which I'll talk about in the next section. 3.)Parents of older / newly adult kids ~ I don't think I would have caught this one even a year ago, but I'm in the point of my life where my oldest daughter left for college this year. Wow can I put myself in Ralph's shoes. The movie drops subtle hints about Ralph and Vanellope being best friends for the last 6 years, which is of course exactly the amount of time between 12 and 18, or the amount of time we spend with our kids before they typically leave. Ralph is happy with his life in the status quo, (much like a dad after years of child raising speaking from experience), and Vanellope wants to spread her wings and live her dreams (much like a certain young college age woman I know) . In the movie, both characters deal with complexity of the situation in a startlingly realistic way. She begins to grasp for her dreams and independence, all the while aware of how much she is going to hurt Ralph, but she doesn't want to hurt him, creating an emotionally difficult situation for her. Ralph does what many normal father like figures would do (myself included) and worries about her wellbeing so much that his very insecurities damage their relationship. In the end, love brings resolution. On a personal note, one scene captured the feeling of telling my daughter goodbye on her first day of college, it literally moved me to tears. I really liked this movie for being more than just another kids movie.

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byweareblessed2011 November 22, 2018

Some nice messages but BORING... BLAH

My kiddos and I were soo excited about this movie and went to the first showing at the cinema. The story follows the line of characters from the one before but now immersing in the internet through WIFI) a lot of propaganda (similar like emoji movie). Yes there are some nice messages but you can see those messages in other movies. The princesses part where our favorite but if you saw the trailer basically you saw the funny parts.. My 10 year old got bored, my 8 year old wanted to switch to the grinch, husband fell asleep and I kept on thinking if I could play candycrush on my phone... needless to say we left disappointed and feeling BLAH... it’s the day after and we still feel BLAH.

Adult Written byPinkarray November 23, 2018

I expected more

Movie focuses too much on Ralph and Vanellope that it sidelines secondary characters such as Felix and Calhounen. Even there was supposed to be a subplot with them taking care of like 15-16 racers but that plot was thrown out the window quickly and left a bad taste in my mouth. I ended up not caring for it, I was excited to see Felix and Calhounen try to discipline the wild brats and their annoyances with them, it probably would've led to some hilarious jokes. It has a good message about how to have a healthy friendship but its third act just ruins it. Vanellope was arguing with Ralph and broke his medal and she abandons Sugar Rush when she's everyone's favorite racer. Vanellope became a selfish character toward the end who only cared about daring racing rather than innocent racing. Also, Ralph was too clingy in this film. There was no tension with Ralph and Vanellope trying to earn money since they earn money quickly by just getting the videos viral when that doesn't happen to all videos. I like the other representations of the Internet, though, it was creative, entertaining, and a little funny. All in all, the film was missing something from the original and I think it was the pure fun and hilarity of it. It also doesn't have that much heart or character development to it. The only characters that get character development were Ralph and Vanellope but the others who had good character development such as Felix and Calhounen are only very minor characters and none of the new characters really get any. Also, I ship Felix and Calhounen and they're no longer shipped in this film. The ship with them was amusing. Disappointed since Ralph was my movie when I was younger. There's not much classic video games or returning characters like the freckled girl who plays Fix it Felix Jr in the first film and still no Mario.

Adult Written byVeritas Aequitas November 22, 2018

Painfully long boring movie

This is the WORST kids movie I have ever seen. The story in short: "Ralph has a best friend who wants to leave him to live her own new life, Ralph tries to intervene and at the end recognizes that you can't own a friend". Not one person laughed during the movie, nor cried, nor had any other kind of life sign (maybe they fell asleep just like my husband and I nearly did). My kids liked it (8 and 10) but they like everything. This movie was just painfully long and very boring. My advice: don't go.
Adult Written byRobert Barnes December 3, 2018

Building up Girls by Tearing Down Boys

My wife and I were initially reluctant to take our daughters to see a Disney movie. However, after reading the few initial reviews of Ralph Wreaks the Internet here on Common Sense Media and doing some internet research we decided to give it a chance. While mildly entertaining, the movie unfortunately tries to build up girls by tearing boys down. While Ralph is portrayed as physically big and strong, he is also buffoonish, insecure and emotionally weak, with his clinginess and insecurity being central to the plot of the movie. In retrospect, every significant male character in the movie seems to be portrayed with some combination of either physical or emotional weakness, incompetence, sleaziness, creepiness, subservience, unattractively drawn, etc... Basically, the movie completely lacks any positive male role models. On the other hand, every significant female character is cool, clever, commanding, strong ( character wise and emotionally if not physically ), attractively drawn, etc... Well, that's not entirely true. The main female character, Penelope, does have a small insecurity - she is hesitant to abandon her best friend of six years, Ralph, in order to pursue her dreams of becoming a permanent character in the dangerous, violent and exciting Grand Theft Auto style racing game, Slaughter Race. Of course, after almost destroying the internet in pursuit of Penelope's attention and being rescued by the Disney princesses ( more on that in a moment ), Ralph has an epiphany about how he has been holding back Penelope with his insecurity, clinginess, and general emotional neediness, and Penelope is finally able to get on with her life, fulfill her dreams and leave Ralph behind. Now of course they do stay friends, at a distance, but it's clear in the aftermath that while Penelope is living out her dreams, Ralph is just kind of meandering along in life, trying to fill his empty life with activities in between Penelope's calls home and occasional visits. And this invites the subject of unnecessary role reversals. Penelope becomes the careerist out on the road fulfilling her dreams, while Ralph becomes the stay at home wife, eagerly awaiting her return and every communication. You might even say there's a little Bridges of Madison County in this, except that Penelope does run away - with the savvy, strong, beautiful, exciting and wise Latino gangster lady. The other unnecessary role reversal involves Ralph being rescued by the Disney princesses. In and of itself there's nothing wrong with a woman saving a man. However, the way this movie carried it out contributed nothing to the plot of the story and felt forced and out of place. The princesses seem to just pop up out of no where, saving Ralph by slipping him into a Snow White dress and landing him in Snow White's bed - to be woken up by the kiss of a frog. It's the final humiliation of Wreck It Ralph and just serves to drive home the movie's main point - that Girlz Rule while boys drool. Seriously, just skip this one unless you're a bitter old woman wishing she'd run off with Robert Kincaid, or maybe a sexy Latino gangster lady.

Adult Written byehahnda November 21, 2018

Not for young kids

It was mostly good, but for my 4 and 5 year old it was too scary. Mostly just about 10 minutes towards the end.
Adult Written bymoviegeekkk November 25, 2018

Have you seen what Disney’s done before?

Honestly, it’s just another really good disney sequel. I think parents are forgetting what Disney animated movies used to be like?? I mean in Tarzan you have some guy hunting gorillas, Tarzan’s family. In Fox and the Hound you have someone literally shooting his gun at Todd. There’s plenty more examples where that came from. Point is, those were all rated G. G ladies and gentlemen! And all Disney animated movies since like 2009 have ALL been PG. IT STANDS FOR PARENTAL GUIDENCE. Meaning, it’s suggested before you take your own kid, see it for yourself to see if it’s okay for your child. If they can’t handel it then they can’t handle it.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byinkiadk November 21, 2018

Great Sequel lives up to the hype however it may be intense for the small children.

Ralph breaks the internet is the sequel to the 2012 film. It is a very good movie with a sweet message. However the little ones ages 2-5 may get scared in some intense scenes that includes a car race through a GTA type environment. Disney also makes fun of themselves from Marvel comics to Disney princesses (possibly one of the most greatest things to have ever happened in cinematic history). Overall the movie was just as good as the original but a bit more for the older crowd.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byJulian Barbosa November 24, 2018

Ralph Breaks the Internet

Ralph Breaks the Internet is SUPER AWESOME!!!!!!

Adult Written byAscala December 2, 2018

Really Disney?

Let’s start right off with this - this movie introduces the concept of the Dark Web - to children! As not only a place inside the internet that’s basically accessible, but it’s where u can go to get answers to problems - albeit not good solutions, but still.... WHY is that necessary to even mention the Dark Net/Web? Ridiculous. Also, the main game is called SLAUGHTER RACE - really”? “Mom, what does slaughter mean?”..... The language is crude, the tone is dark - any messaging they are trying to make is missed. Don’t bother.
Adult Written byWinters.mom.05 November 24, 2018

Powerful message about friendships

This movie has such a great message about the strength of a good friendship. People of all ages can certainly learn the lesson that being someone's friend doesn't mean that's your only friend. You don't have to do or like the same things. It's about compromise. The need to widen out and make new friends while still maintaining core friendships was expressed diligently. This movie is good for those about to move away from friends or that may be struggling with changes. A definite must see.

Adult Written byMiss Suburban Mom November 24, 2018

Unnecessary Scary Clown

This movie was vastly disappointing. We took 4 children to see it aged 6-12. 3/4 were scared of a “horror” clown that made a completely unnecessary appearance in the movie. The movie wasn’t funny, or even very interesting. One of the four kids, the 7 year old, actually asked if we could leave and just go see Nutcracker and the Four Realms again she was so bored. Not worth movie theatre prices. Wait for broader release and watch it at home.

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bySamantha D. November 24, 2018

Okay and a little long

Not as great as the first one, I was a bit disappointed. My husband enjoyed his nap in the theater-sigh. The movie was a bit long and seemed puzzle-pieced together. Some parts would be scary for little kids...a “virus” black/red monster and ralph turns into a huge fire-ish virus also which could be scary. Tons of internet brands are shown (I.e. Facebook, Pinterest, etc). Overall, I’d wait for it at home and maybe with the minimum age of 8.

Parent Written byAshley J. November 20, 2018

Boring, first one was better

Didnt keep my kids attention, found it rather boring. The first one was way better, alot of sexual references too . Wont watch again