All parent member reviews for Ramona and Beezus

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byTuesdayBear July 26, 2010
I loved these books as a child, and frankly wasn't expecting much from this movie (the book's always better than the movie, right?). I was very pleasantly surprised. This movie basically took the great moments from all of the Ramona books and combined them. Joey King captured the essence of Ramona quite well. Selena Gomez was just a bit too glamorous as Beezus, but she had good moments. John Corbett (Chris from Northern Exposure) was absolutely perfect as Mr. Quimby. He was a very good choice. This movie was entertaining for both myself and my daughter. She appreciated all of the Ramona-esque antics, and I appreciated the relationships among the adults in the film. I'm usually a stickler about not letting my daughter watch teen-romance type shows, but I felt that any kissing in this movie was wholly appropriate (related to a newly engaged couple, and a quick peck among teens). The self-proclaimed "love life" of Beezus is a very minor sub-plot, and is innocent in the way that teen crushes should be. The final scene shows Beezus setting some very good boundaries, which I think makes her character a good role model for young girls. All in all, this was a very enjoyable movie. We'll be purchasing this one, and we don't buy a lot of movies.
Adult Written byMamamoonbeam July 27, 2010

A good first theater experience for kindergarteners!

Our 5 year old daughter is very sensitive to scary themes and intense drama (losing a parent, getting lost, etc.) and this was a great first theater experience for her. Fairly entertaining for adults too! A few specific comments on things to be aware of: - There are a few uses of "dumb" and "stupid" but overall we were okay with the language - There are two romances going on in the movie, one between her Aunt Beatrice and Howie's Uncle Hobart and one between Beezus and Henry. Both are handled in very innocent and age-appropriate ways. - The girls are home alone when they find that their beloved cat has died. They don't actually show a close-up of the dead cat but they do imply that the cat has been buried and they show a homemade grave market and lots of tears. Again, we thought this was an age-appropriate handling of what happens when a pet dies but it might be something to discuss with your child before the movie, especially if you have pets or if you have recently lost a pet. - There are several scenes where Ramona is imagining and gets into "larger than life" situations. Our daughter had to be reminded that this was her imagination and not things that were actually happening. - The theme of the movie is actually a very nice one - that it is okay to be different - and this is articulated by a teenage Beezus. We liked that Beezus was pretty but not over the top glamorous. Beezus was the character that our daughter was most in awe of and we appreciated that she was overall a very positive kid who finds her sister annoying but also clearly loves her. - True to the books, which were written in the 70s and 80s, there is very little cultural diversity in the film. I think a few kids in the school scenes are ethnicities other than white but none of the main characters are. Also, we have read the first two Ramona books out loud to our daughter and she enjoyed finding parts of the movie that were the same as the book and parts that were different. For example, in the movie she is a third grader but some of her experiences actually happened in the book written when she was in kindergarten.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bychickabiddy July 29, 2010

Finally, a movie my 7-year-old likes!

Very refreshing to see a movie featuring a girl acting her age! Ramona is a spunky, imaginative child that my daughter could relate to (not being the princessy/hannah montana type). While it touched on some issues that can cause anxiety for children (divorce, losing your house/job in a tough economy), it did it in a way that was reassuring in the end. Also, it seems that every movie has a mandatory scary/emotionally traumatic-devastating scene in it, and this one didn't (at least not that my daughter reacted to, and she's very sensitive about those things). The story was fun, the cast terrific, and I really enjoyed it too. I also particularly loved the scenes where Ramona's imagination takes over and they bring it to life - just the sort of thing a girl of that age would do! Fantastic!
Adult Written bybianca7788 May 16, 2011

great movie

Very cute movie for kids and adults! This movie show's how close sisters are no matter what comes along.I put 8+ because 8+ is the audience that would enjoy and understand it most!
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byAppropriate December 11, 2010

Saga Sour

The Father's role is a wonderful model. The female roles are embarassing. No depth. Long drawn out negative saga. "Bullying because I think differently" "My sister is perfect" "ugh messages." Disappointing and un-engaging. There's more to life. Good acting.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bycjkoontz July 30, 2010

Good Family entertainment for 7+

This was a pretty wholesome movie. I liked how the characters were all dressed in a fashion forward way, but not "sexy." The movie did a great job of blending the book material together. Based on other reviews, I was able to talk to my kids ahead of time and explain that there were some "imagination" scenes in the movie that weren't real and also explain that Pickypicky the cat dies. Really appreciated that feedback and my girls loved it.
Adult Written byautymnd.c. September 27, 2014

more of a commentary than a review

It's not appropriate, by definition, for third parties to determine or score what is appropriate. So I disagree with this site's scoring altogether. Unlike the staff reviewer I could pick up several themes or messages that flout the overt sensibilities of a mainstream critic or censor that may flag a rating. insinuations and what one can sneak into a G-rated movie (Disney Channel airing) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493949/board/nest/234914864
Parent Written bysarahebrown August 20, 2011

A Sweet Movie!

This is a wonderful movie. The balance of pretend and what happens in the movie is perfect. I love the sister relationship! I think alot of kids will related with this movie. It's not the typical movie where you know what will happen next. Even my son sat still for it. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byBayAreaMama April 17, 2011

A wholesome movie for young kids... if the story line catches their interest.

It was entertaining for my 7 year old boy and 4 year old girl. The "sexy" stuff wasn't really a problem, except that for my boy he really didn't care about the romance story line, and I am not sure my 4 year old really understood all of that part. They both loved Ramona for her imagination, and there was nothing scary here for either of them.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byhousmore November 23, 2010

Great portrait of family life - not perfect, but 'real'

Loved it - and our daughter did too, and she is very iffy about movies in general. Wish there were more like it!
Educator Written byalikowski August 14, 2010
I took my 3 year old son and 7 year old daughter to see this. We all enjoyed it. It was really over my son's head, but there was enough physical comedy to keep him interested. My daughter loved it, as well as her aunt and I did, however, the romance was too much for her. She kept hiding her eyes when the romantic/kissing scenes were on and I was glad. I am not ready for her to show an interest in that, as I am sure many mother's of seven year olds aren't. Great movie overall though, and I was sooooo happy to have something good come out that was rated G.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byashlotte November 19, 2010

If you love Ramona books, you will not be disappointed!

A great movie. We watched it twice in a matter of a few days. It is funny and wholesome. The worst things that happen are that the cat dies (nothing scary is shown) and they say "stupid" a few times. My kids both loved it, as did my husband. I recommend it!
Parent of a 7, 9, and 12 year old Written bykarinyak August 22, 2010

Good for most school age children

Very heart warming. Family who loves one another and accepts each other's strengths and weaknesses.
Parent of a 10 and 14 year old Written bygodsgirl July 23, 2010
Delightful family movie that appeals to kids and adults. Will make you laugh and cry.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byCarolina-Mom July 23, 2010

See it!

I'm a mom who saw this movie with my two daughters, ages 9 and 5. We all loved it! There are some emotional parts and we all cried and then talked about it during the drive home. Be prepared and bring tissues just in case...especially if you are a pet owner. There is a small part too in which the older sister tried to scare the younger sister with a story just before bedtime. So just because of that, I don't think it would be good to take anyone younger than 5. I thought the topics were handled very well though. A great family movie! I think even my husband would like it. I want to see it again and plan to purchase when it is released for home viewing.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian May 4, 2015

A Fresh, Fun, and Feel-Good Family Film

Everybody thinks being a kid is easy, but Ramona Quimby knows the truth. It's a tough gig, especially when your dad's just lost his job, your favorite aunt is being reeled in courtesy of an old crush, your older sister drives you nuts, and you think the bank might take your house--literally. Some kids might respond to these problems with a bad attitude, but optimism and imagination is more Ramona's style. She's determined to help her family and keep things bright in any way she can, from making a huge mural with Dad to auditioning for a peanut butter commercial so she can make a million dollars. Along the way, she learns valuable lessons about being herself, balancing creativity with rules, and trusting her family to take care of her so she can be the kid she's supposed to be. There's almost no traditional objectionable content here. Any concerns come mostly from slice of life stuff. Ramona deals with a bully whose attitude stems from her own home-based troubles. She and her older sister fight a bit, but come together when it matters, like when the family cat needs them. There's a little bit of gross humor--Ramona has a baby sister, so spewed food and diapers come with the territory. Some kids may need reassurance from parents if the Quimbys' financial troubles hit too close to home. All in all, though, this is definitely a great choice for family movie night.
Educator Written byPenelise February 7, 2013

Want To See More!

I love this movie. The antics and quirkiness of Ramona makes for great comedy, along with the balance of real-life issues makes for an overall great movie. This is my first introduction to Joey King and she is a fantastic little actress. I found myself wanting to see sequels of this movie or a Nickelodeon series.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 11, 2012

I love this movie!

Sure there are some insults in this movie,but it's still PERFECT! Crazy good humor,enthralling storyline,and so on.The premise is nice too!
Parent Written byMJMom4 May 30, 2012

Precious family movie

My children and I love this movie! My only complaints are wish there was a tiny bit less focus on relationships and romance given the target audience age, but the message of resilience amidst the challenges that most families face at some point, and acceptance of ourselves and others is well worth the follow up discussion on dating....
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byNH HS May 1, 2011

Insolent, disrespectful, and rude role modeling

We shut the movie off about a third into the DVD. The use of "guts" as a bad word may not seem bad, but the fact is that Ramona thinks it's a bad word - and so the intent is still there. Rather than dealing with her anger and frustrations in a healthy way, she resorts to shouting out her "bad word". In addition, she and Ramona bicker and quarrel with one another. No attention is paid to the fact that Ramona has intentionally decieved her parents by hiding her report card. When they attempt to speak to her about the poor report, she hides in the bathroom and squeezes out the entire tube of toothpaste into the sink. Again, nothing is done or said by the parents - except that dad notices the mess and turns to mom and says "guts". We have read all of the Ramona books, and in the books Ramona's individuality and quirky behaviors are far less offensive. With a parent reading, we were able to stop and use the behavior as teachable moments. In the movie, Ramona is cast to be insolent, fresh, and disobedient. This is not the same as being "independent" and "imaginative". The books are clear that Ramona is imaginative and can get herself into trouble at times. This is quite different. There were no parent/child moments for redirecting Ramona during the first 1/3 of the movie... and we just couldn't wait any longer for the movie to redeem itself.