Parent reviews for Ratatouille

Cute rat tale has some peril and potentially scary moments.

Parent of a 5-year-old Written byeh425b April 20, 2013

Gratuitous Violence in a G Rated Family Movie??? Turned it off.

After the completely unnecessary and overly violent opening scene where the grandmother shoots repeatedly at the rats, searches for bullets, reloads and shoots again I was disturbed but thought I would give it another five minutes. I turned it off when the rat observed a man and a woman fighting and someone was holding a gun pointed at the other's face. I am glad I turned it off because apparently after the gun incident they made out. I was absolutely horrified and disgusted. This is marketed to young children???? From now on I will preview. My five year old will have nightmares. Horrible.

Adult Written byJennifer S. December 30, 2017

Lasted 30 minutes

Really? An old lady who lives on a farm reacts to a rat by grabbing a huge GUN and shooting up her own house!? There's also a domestic violence scene (also involving a gun), just thrown in for kicks—as if that's okay. And, what is this obsession with rats "stealing"? Turned it off after 30 minutes. Except for the cooking scenes there was nothing enjoyable about this movie for my family.

Adult Written byKaangkies April 2, 2016

Scary, intense, adult oriented

As an adult, I like this film, but for kids, the intensity and scary characters can be overwhelming. You'll want to go make some gougère or oeufs en cocotte after watching, but keep an eye out if watching with kids. The threat of death, and scary characters can leave this movie with a bad taste in their mouth. Oh, that's just bad humor now. ;-)

Adult Written bycommunityed July 16, 2009

Family violence

While I enjoyed the movie, no one has mentioned what I thought was a pretty disturbing scene near the beginning. As Remy (the rat) is scampering through the rooftops of Paris, he observes a couple in a heated argument. By heated, I mean the man is grabbing the woman's arms and she is screaming and pointing a gun at him. Remy keeps going, and then there's the sound of a gunshot. Remy returns to see that the gun has gone off, the couple is still struggling, but then the man overpowers the woman and kisses her, she struggles at first and then seems to be overcome with passion and stops resisting and becomes what one may assume is a willing participant. I was a little disturbed by the domestic and sexual violence (physical struggle, forced embrace) presented in the scene, and think that for children, this would be an important point to address, and something to know about should you/your children be survivors of family violence.

Parent of a 6 and 6-year-old Written byDtownmom January 4, 2009

Way too violent

There is quite a bit of violence in this movie. The opening scene shows a Granny with a gun blasting apart her home to kill the rats. This is followed by scene after scene of the lead character in peril. The expert animation and music and cutting make it very scary. My twin 5 year olds could not be comforted when we saw this in the theater. We kept reassuring them that it would turn out OK, but the scenes kept coming. So we walked out of the theatre. Instead we bought a book about the movie and interestingly enough, in the book, Granny does not have a gun, she his holding a mop instead. Obviously the people who made the book saw a problem with this scene as well. Also, the quick scene with the quarrelling lovers shooting a gun and then kissing should not be there as well.
Adult Written bydjblue3 June 17, 2018

Terrific Pixar film has a few adult things

Disney Pixar’s film “Ratatouille” is a good film but has a few adult scenes and glimpses. For example, a grandma shoots a gun frequently in one scene. Also, soon after a man and woman are shown together (the woman pointing a gun at the man), the perspective shifts, a gunshot is heard, shifts back, and the couple starts kissing. Also, another kiss is shown, a character’s death is shown and Remy’s journey around he kitchen is intense. Also, two men are tied up and thrown in a closet. Characters also toast with wine shown getting drunken and when a character wants to interrogate a man, he makes the character drink wine and get drunk to try and find the answer. One use of “h**l”, too. Great movie, but a bit adult.

Parent Written bySusannah I. December 2, 2016

Worrying undertones

I think this is a fun fast paced movie with an overt message about trying hard to achieve your goals and live your dream. It also has messages about pretending to be what you are not and taking credit for work you didn't do.
It has a lot of violence which is treated as humorous, and some worrying messages about consent/relationships. In one scene Collette is furious with Linguini, to the point that she gets out her pepper spray Linguini kisses her and magically it's all better.
Just no. Kissing a girl who is saying go away and actually threatening violence, just no. The message it implies that if someone is saying 'leave me alone' just kiss them and they'll get over it and fall in love is terrible.
There's also a scene with a couple having a domestic fight involving a gun, and then they embrace and the rat just rolls his eyes and on we go with the movie . It's put in there seemingly casually, just as scene setting... presumably so we'll know we're in "passionate Paris" which is offensive in so many ways.
If you watch this with your kids talk about how unhelpful the implications are.

Parent Written by999Jenny999 March 7, 2013

Adults may laugh but kids witness domestic violence, gunplay & a lawless "hero".

This seemed an enjoyable family flick but if you step back and give careful thought to some scenes, you'll begin to question why any kid-friendly movie needs face-slapping, name-calling and gun play. The creators no doubt thought it cute to exploit French stereotypes of tempestuous lovers and fiery tempers but when imbued into cartoon characters, these are not appropriate role models for children. Adult entertainment value should take a back seat to common sense when exposing children to romantic ideals and how adults should cope with conflict.
Remy and his rat family are blasted with a shotgun from the opening scene and thereafter. Surely savvy writers could communicate the rats' plight and unwelcomeness without deathly peril. Later, in a tangential scene of no consequence to the storyline, Remy spies on fighting lovers who tangle, the woman shoots at her mate, and they wind up in a passionate embrace. (Where do I start in the criticism of THIS message?!)
In another scene dealing with human love affairs, a woman slaps a man because she feels rejected and used. Will the adult viewer empathize? Yes. But should a child bare witness to this most unwholesome conflict resolution? My answer is a deeply felt no.
Especially disappointing is the turn of events that has our heroic, underdog rat mistreat a health inspector who is only trying to do his uncontroversial job. That took a lot of explaining. In the end, I had to say that Remy was wrong for tying up the man and trying to prevent the law from being enforced. Wow! Our hero is actually a villain in this flick.
My quibble with the portrayal of alcohol consumption is minor. Many of the characters, including our young human protagonist, drink wine (even to sloppy excess) but I don't feel it was glamorized. But here again, the lazy writers go for a French stereotype gag that is meant only to please the adult viewer. In the meantime, the ubiquitous wine may call up problems for parents who want to shield their youngest children from drug policy discussions so early.
I would say that I'm shelving this movie until my child is older but frankly, the poor messages in "Ratatouille" make it unacceptable at any age.

Adult Written byOriginal April 20, 2011

The best movie I watched!!

I love this movie but the movie is ok for older kids or tweens

Educational Value
Adult Written byCkmj824 March 27, 2010
Some kids will love it, others won't. Kids may get bored, because it is mostly about cooking. There is a lot of name calling, but using words like "fancy pants" shouldn't be a huge concern for parents. There is one part where the boss says to a man "Welcome to Hell"
Depends on what your child is interested in.
Adult Written byjemmama April 9, 2008

Disappointing for Pixar/Disney

Interesting idea, but missed the mark of creativity achieved by The Incredibles, Toy Story and Monsters, Inc.

I am concerned that the phrase "welcome to hell" is used in a G-rated movie.

I am concerned that the main character is an illegitimate child, born out of wedlock, only discovered when his famous father died. G-rated movies, rated thus for safe family viewing, need to reinforce strong family values.
Adult Written bynb_fall April 9, 2008

Mostly good

There are a couple of scenes that could have been left out (the dead rats in mousetraps hanging, stomachs to the window, in a dark storefront window at nighttime in the rain - scared my kids) and the overly long gun scene at the beginning. The animation is awesome, and the story/message is great. I also personally didn't like hearing the father rat say "Shut up" to his son. All in all though, it is nice to see a Disney movie that has a G rating that is appropriate for little kids. The movie is one we enjoyed enough to buy the DVD.
Adult Written bystillpoint April 9, 2008

Over-rated and inappropriate for a G-rated movie

The movie was on the whole quite dark, not terribly funny, and generally over the heads of the two 5-year olds I took to see it (and both a pretty astute). The violence in the beginning (rats being shot at), the scary scene in the sewer, and the horrible head chef in the restaurant were all inappropriate for a G-rated movie. I'm afraid I'll have to preview any Disney-related movie from now on, which means I won't be going to a theater to see the movie -- will just wait until it comes out on DVD. It was a disappointing movie for all of us. Unlike "Cars" which both kids still talk about and have seen many times, neither has ever mentioned "Ratatouille" again. I wish Hollywood would pay attention and make movies that are genuinely funny, creative, and positive.
Parent Written byMicStr April 9, 2008

It was a good movie, but should not be a 'G' rating

I liked this movie. However, my 3-year-old son, who has sat through movies since the age of 3 months (and loves Toy Story and Cars), had a hard time sitting through this movie.

I enjoyed the story, and the animation was great. However, there were some aspects that made me wonder, "what is the MPAA thinking to warrant this to be a G movie?" The gun-toting grandma blasting away at the rats really disturbed me. Plus, the scene with a lover's quarrel where the woman points a gun a the man was downright wrong for a family movie.

I think what got me most, thinking from a child's perspective, was the scene where Remy and his dad looked in horror at a window of an Exterminator's shop that showed several (dozens?) of dead rats hanging from traps. This bothers me tremendously as to why Disney/Pixar sees this sort of imagery necessary in a family (G-rated) movie. I noticed that I could sense many kids in the theater getting squeamish at this scene, and many whispering parents trying to explain what their kids were witnessing.

Plus, this movie certainly did not hold my son's attention as Cars or Toy Story (or Polar Express) did - there was too much dialogue and interaction of the human characters to interest a child under 6 (for the most part).

However, even though he was scared at times, and we had to step out for a few minutes at one point for a break, he did say he enjoyed the movie (but I don't think he'll be asking to watch it again on DVD).

Normally, I have not thought twice before going to see a Pixar animated movie, but now I'm going to have to be more careful!

I'd say this movie is best for kids over 7 (and most adults will certainly enjoy this one). Definitely NOT a G-rated movie (NOT FOR ALL AUDIENCES).
Adult Written bygingerdor April 9, 2008

Know your kid!

This was an enjoyable movie for my 10 year old son, 16 yr old niece and me, however my 6 yr old son had to leave the theater about 15 minutes in. I don't understand why, in a movie that is supposed to be for little kids, there has to be so much intensity. My 6 yr old is not an overly sensitive kid but he just found this movie overwhelming. Pixar did so great with Toy Story and Cars. If they want to make an animated movie for older kids I just wish they would face up to it and make it PG. Again, I did enjoy the movie personally but beware.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Perfect argument for why the MPA needs a Pre-G rating!

My nearly 4-year-old daughter cried and wanted to leave partway through the film and was in my lap for more than half of it. (We stayed, uncertainly, because we thought she'd be better off tonight knowing the movie ended happily.) Disney is awfully enamored of angry, loudmouth characters and scenes of terrifying peril. (Think the fire scene in Bambi, the loud crashes and yelling in Cars, or the toothy shark scene in Nemo.) In this film, the big thing is YELLING and PERIL. I would venture to say that more than half of it depicts characters being frantic, frustrated, or angry -- gesticulating wildly, talking at the tops of their voices, and running around with wild-eyed scary faces. It was sorely lacking in lighthearted fun. My daughter was particularly scared of the head chef, Skinner, who was supposed to be the primary "bad guy" and was therefore depicted with a evil face that puts Cruella Deville to shame. Her fear got worse when the food critic came on the scene, looking way too much like Nosferatu himself. Other reviewers here have mentioned the shooting and drinking. I'm not particularly fond of seeing those in a G film either, but they did sort of go over my child's head. What struck me as being far more troublesome was the violence. Aside from some brief moments of physical violence, there is a nearly constant flow of angry, loud tongue-lashings. (Most parents I know teach their children that violence comes in many forms, not the least of which is verbal violence.) What's more, there really aren't a lot of scenes with the rats. Isn't that what the kids want to see? The talking rats? The fat, fuzzy, wide-eyed rats that eat garbage and love it? I would have liked to see a whole lot more of the rats pigging out and adventuring through Paris, but what we got was a whole lot of near-death scenes for the rats and too much screaming from characters with French accents -- accents that are hard for young kids to understand, I might add. Last but not least, there is a scene where the main rat is shown lots of dead rats hanging in a store window, and the film lingers there a bit too long. Your child will definitely get a good look at the main character coming face-to-face with death -- and in doing so, may get a face-to-face moment with the concept of death himself/herself, too. (It's the Disney trademark, I know.) Ratatouille was a dealbreaker for us: It will be the last Disney film we watch until our children are closer to 8 or 9 years old. It goes to show we need a Pre-G rating, for films like "Milo and Otis," for films that don't move so fast, yell so loud, and deal with such dark and scary themes. Preschoolers are too young for this stuff.
Parent of a 7-year-old Written bymeeshelle April 9, 2008

A few things to be concerned about

Hello,
I was surprised at 2 things in this "G" rated movie. First, there is a pretty gruesome scene in front of a store window, which has dead rats (can't tell if they're supposed to be pretend) hanging in traps. I also was surprised that at one point the chef yells out "Welcome to Hell". I didn't realize that word would be allowed in a G film.
Adult Written byelmsmom April 9, 2008

A sleeper...

Litterally, I fell asleep. Not up to Pixar/Disney par. My 3 yr old wanted to go home. The 6 yr old liked it very much. The 8 yr old liked the popcorn a bit more than the movie, and the 11 yr old was mad we made him see it. The granny with the gun was silly/too much. My husband asked after the movie whether it was supposed to be a comedy or a drama because there wasn't much funny about it. And personally, animated or not, there is nothing cute about a rat -- or a colony of rats -- especially in a restaurant kitchen. I was a little grossed out with the whole concept, but maybe that was just me...
Adult Written byloveitall April 9, 2008

Casual gun scene shock

Early in the movie there is a 2 second scene which shows quarrelling lovers fire a handgun, then make up with a passionate kiss. This is not the kind of behaviour I want my daughter to see, ever. What is this doing in a children's movie?!! It was a total throw away scene, what were they thinking?
Parent of a 1 and 4-year-old Written byarudek805 April 9, 2008

Too Deep and Dark for Small Kids

While the animation was amazing in this film, overall I felt much of the content was too deep and/or dark for a G rating. There were several incidents involving gun usage (Remy see a domestic dispute involving a gun) and other forms of aggression (Collette pins Linguine down with knives). The characters don't speak to each other very nicely. Most disturbing of all was when Remy's dad takes Remy to a shop whose window is filled with dead rats hanging in traps. It was upsetting to my 4 year old. I also think that many of the complexities of the message regarding stealing and giving credit where credit is due are too nuanced for small children to understand.