Parent reviews for Raya and the Last Dragon

Charming, epic adventure mixes monsters, humor, heart.

Parent of a 5, 7, and 18+-year-old Written byKingmaner April 2, 2021

Just a review

Good, beautiful movie.
Violence: No blood or gore. Warfare scene near the end, emotional violence, and the Druun. Mainly cartoonish in nature.
Sex: Not here.
Language: Puns on bad words, and some other stuff.
Humor: Occasionally crude.

Adult Written byIKNOWYOUTOOKMYF... March 22, 2021

very good family movie, not worth 30 bucks though.

No swearing, though insults are thrown back and fourth, and some play on curse words (replacing other words with the bad word to make a different word) some scary scenes for children, and talks on dark themes and death. Weapons use such as bows and swords. People die.

Adult Written byConAbe March 21, 2021

Amazing

Just overall a great movie. I think a normal 5-year-old should be able to handle it. Mild violence and no swearing.

Adult Written bygiginjet March 17, 2021

disney pushing suicidal ideation

My son is 9. My son asked me "why did the dad kill himself? " How can i tell him - he turned himself into stone for the good of everyone, because he feels that its going to be better on the other side? They talk a big talk of "trust" - bad girl becomes good- then at the end of the movie, the good one says "Ok, I'll be the start of it" then voluntarily backs into the death cloud/turns to stone only 'hoping to come back to life to a ''New World where EVERYTHING is Better. Then the whole group followed. .... ok ISIS. ' ish / luckily my son lost interest mid way through, so he did NOT see what i think i saw!
cancelled my disney membership this morning!

Adult Written byHeather7982 March 13, 2021

Funny charming story about empowerment and showing your feelings

I took my seven year old to see Raya. He said it was a little scary at times but not to the point where he was afraid at night. There is violence and fighting throughout but it’s not gory or bloody. Raya is a wonderful character who is not only a strong female character but shows the power of letting your emotions go and what happens when you do. She isn’t afraid to be angry and I like that about her. My son enjoyed the movie and your littles will too. However, I would say under six might be too young for this one. A few scenes are very intense and scary and during our viewing we heard several younger children crying and visbibly upset.

Parent of a 10-year-old Written byMom0f5 March 10, 2021

A treasure

So many thoughts, but the best thing about Raya is that it kept me thinking about it after we were done watching. I think there are a lot of positive lessons from the unspoken lesson about the value of play, as demonstrated by the dragon Sisu, to selflessness and cooperation that is paramount to the story. Even the violence toward the end, which was the only part of the movie I wasn't sure about supporting, has a lesson of its own. The violence is being portrayed as bad, while selfless cooperation is portrayed in a positive light. Our two leading ladies realize that and give up their fight in order to do good.

But, it is because of the violence that I rated it 8+, and if you have a particularly sensitive child, you may want to wait til they're even older. Earlier in the movie, one-on-one battle is light-hearted and almost sport-like, but toward the end there is a scene where the two main ladies are legitimately, viciously trying to kill each other out of anger and sadness. I even felt like looking away because it was heartbreaking to watch. But like I said above, I believe the filmakers portray it in that way to show that violence and hatred are not good and will get us nowhere. It shows the difference that is made when we use our efforts for good rather than selfishness and anger. It would be a good idea to discuss those aspects of this movie with our children.

I would have rated it 6 stars (wink) if it was a musical with good music, but alas, it was not a musical.

Parent of a 7-year-old Written byslbeach April 17, 2021
Adult Written byHarry Potter's ... April 12, 2021

Pretty good but not best movie ever.

It is good but if you want to watch it don't pay $30. Wait for 2 months or so. It was good enough that my kids liked it. A lot of violence. Maybe a little too scary for kids under 3. After all it was a pretty good film. Lots of twist and turns. Recommend for a family movie night. Should be for kids 8 and up.

Parent of a 15-year-old Written bybernie210 April 8, 2021

Empowering Disney movie has violence

It's a great movie with wonderful lessons about trust and friendship, but it may have too much violence for younger children to handle. Sexy stuff is indeed not present, BUT there is
- an exposed baby butt for 1-2 seconds (con baby threw her own diaper in Raya's face as an attempt to slow her down) &
- some talks about the 'cute little butts' of insects.
Just want to include these in here in case anyone is concerned.

Parent of a 7-year-old Written bycncode March 26, 2021

Fantastic!!

Not too much of anything and a bit of everything...entire family enjoyed it (7 yr old to 80 yr old)

Adult Written byJanen_xD March 24, 2021