Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Real Steel

Predictable but fun fight movie has lots of robot action.

Adult Written byDouglas123 October 10, 2011

What is up will all the swearing Disney??????

Loved the movie but VERY DISAPPOINTED with the swearing, even the 11 year old was using b*tch and a**hole. Walt would role in his grave! Totally unnecessary for what could have been a great family movie!

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byCheese and Bread August 16, 2016

Why is everyone bellyacheing about the swearing! It's a PG-13 movie

And they didn't even swear that much, they said the S word like 2 times

Parent of a 1 and 9 year old Written bybee1 June 13, 2013

12+ or mature kids over 10

This is a 12 in the UK and I would be happy for any 12 year old to watch it, no problem, under 12, it's really down to the parent. The film itself is pretty good, Jackman is great, I hate the part near the end where the boys aunt faints (really unrealistically) at the end of a round of robot boxing, because it's just too cheesy but overall it's not bad. There are some great positives, such as the dad learning how to be a dad: After basically abandoning his child for years, he learns that his kid is more important than how much money he can get his hands on. There is also a lovely scene where he climbs into bed with the woman that he is sort of involved with and the have a cuddle! Nice that they have avoided unnecessary sexiness here. The woman also is a strong character who helps the father to learn some valuable lessons about parenting and is a positive female role-model, however I hate the way the kids aunt and uncle are portrayed. They are sensible with money, therefore they have it, they want custody of the kid because they think his dad is useless (which he actually is at first) and they could give him a good life, they don't swear and they are concerned when the child is involved in a fight, so basically they should be really good role models but they are portrayed as stuffy, delicate, fussy upper middle class twits! For me the robot violence isn't an issue for any child 10+ as it is fantasy, there is the scene where Jackman gets beaten up in front of his son by 3 blokes but you can easily turn it around and chat with older kids about how they could have resolved the situation differently, and although Jackman gets totally pummeled the boy still declares "he is my father" proudly and quite rightly isn't ashamed that his dad lost a fight where he was totally outnumbered. There is gambling but I think there is a lesson to learn there too when a man looses a bet along with a million! The language is probably the biggest issue for me, especially when the child is swearing. Overall I think it has the right rating, and I personally would be happy for kids 10+ to watch it as long as they are mature and you talk some of the issues over with them after the film.

Adult Written bythehandyman August 11, 2014

Disappointed

Its sad, it could be a great clean movie with cool action, but it isn't. The swearing is completely overdone, the father swears, the son swears (and he's only like 10-12). Their relationship is lousy, the father doesn't love the son, and the son is completely rebellious to the father. Later on the father kind of tries to tell the son he loves him and they kind of become friends, not really a father-son relationship, more like friend-friend relationship. The son never repents of his rebellious attitude/actions toward the father. The fighting scenes were good, but really you need like TVG for this movie, if it works. The story is kind of like the movie Rocky but with a twist.

Written byAnonymous August 25, 2014

Adult Written byengk916 January 11, 2014

Entertaining fun, with the teeny smidge of inappropriate language

My 9yo son loved this movie. I was a bit concerned about the intense fight scenes and foul language, but it was minimal. Our 6yo daughter watched it too and the language (probably 5 or 6 words total in the 2hr movie) went right over her head. The plot was predictable, with a happy ending.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 11, 2012

Cool robot film.I love it!

I was really impressed with this movie! AWESOME ROBOT ACTION! The plot is great,and nice sci-fi stuff! LOVE IT!
Adult Written byJEDI micah March 29, 2012

LIKE TRANSFORMERS REINACTING ROCKY!

As a sci-fi movie fan, I like this movie! There are plenty of robot violence, but no blood, of course, since robots don't have blood! Also, if there weren't as much language, I say this movie would be rated PG. But this is a good movie for kids 10 and older!

Parent of a 9 year old Written byBruinsmama October 21, 2011

Hugh Jackman + Robots= Happy Mom, Happy Kid!

I found the setup at the start a bit slow & drawn out, but it DID aid inthe character development that left us cheering at the end! A real BOYS' movie with some yummy Hugh Jackman thrown in for the Moms! It was fun, go see it!

Adult Written byChris44 October 18, 2011

The longest commercial I've ever sat through

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bywtgreene February 19, 2013

good movie

action packed movie some swearing, strong swearing:( but good movie talk to your kid about the curses and fighting. some kids can handle it some kids can't

Adult Written byGrayWolf March 8, 2012

Robot fun

While critics may say that it is predictable it is a fun movie for dad's and sons to watch together. My kids all know the difference between fantasy and reality so the robot boxing matches didn't bother them and the one scene where the main character (Hugh Jackman) gets beaten up had my younger son concerned so we talked about that. All in all a good fun movie.

Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byCarrie M. July 10, 2017

I think it's a great movie and it's a good family movie

Parent Written byewe2lambs January 8, 2012

OK - for 10+

it's OK, but quite violent - especially when the robots are 'killed', language wasn't too much of an issue for us, implies that Charlie drinks quite abit from the first scene with all the beer bottles, relationship issues between father and son are sort of resolved but not sure that father is allowed access to son after the last fight(?) our 10yo managed it well and enjoyed it however the 6yo didn't watch it as the emotional side of things would be too much for him, he's a senistive guy.

Adult Written byDarkAgentE April 21, 2018

Pretty intense Robot Boxing Thriller.

Real Steel is great. It's got a lot of action, and Hugh Jackman does a really good performance, The action is really exciting and intense, and there's a lot of it. As I said before, Hugh Jackman's performance is great, and the film has a lot of fun moments. Overall great Robot boxing movie.

Parent of a 4 and 12 year old Written byNicole D. July 1, 2017

Action packed and heart warming at the same time. My son and I loved it!

Adult Written byPanzerMark January 25, 2012

...

A little violence, language and alcohol won't traumatize your child.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byObi Wan November 11, 2011

It's PG-13; so in 2011, like it or not, there will be some profanity. If you as a parent have a hang up with that, then don't allow your kids to see a good movie because they will hear a curse word maybe 4 times in a movie (which they might hear in one sentence on the playground). Bummer, yes. It is tough to find a good movie, without the kissing/romance for the 7-10 crowd, or profanity, or sexually suggestive scene, etc. Makes you appreciate Lord of the Rings; if you can deal with the violence. If not, then stick to PG or G movies only. My 10 year old gave it a 7 out of 10; he cheered a few times. A fun movie; no regrets from this dad.

Adult Written byMreme001 January 6, 2019

I loved the movie

I Believe the movie showed many good aspects like importance of a family in once life,determination, hard work and never loose hope.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byButt head doofus December 22, 2018