Parent reviews for Rear Window

Hitchcock masterpiece stars peeping Jimmy Stewart.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion February 25, 2009

A Thrilling and Old-Fashoined Thriller!

If your kids want to see a cool thriller, but you are cautious around big-budget slasher flicks, rent this from Blockbuster and watch it together on a Friday night. Everyone will enjoy themselves, and you won't have to worry about what they're seeing, as this film has little sex, language, and no violence. Language consists of some "hells" and few "d**n"s. There is some playful sexual innuendo between Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly (it isn't exactly beating around the bush, but it isn't vulgar at all) that runs along the lines of her spending the night and there only being one bed. A beautiful ballerina exercises in her underwear, and a man attempts to force himself on an unnamed girl (it appears to be more of an embrace gone too far than an attempted rape).
Adult Written byUnknown Agent November 20, 2015

Great

Great movie. Nudity: A woman appears only with her bra and panties for a few seconds. Violence: Some mild Violence. 12+
Adult Written bymoorehead December 20, 2010

A great movie

One of Hitchcock's greatest movies and one of James Stewart's best movies. Suspensful and well done. I watch it over and over.

Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

One of the best movies of all time!

Rear window is an absolute masterpiece. The story is well written and the characters well acted and believable. While the movie shows no sex or violence on-screen, the overall theme is quite mature. There are several very tense scenes including one where a woman attemps suicide. The main character spies on his very attractive neighbor as she dances about in her underwear. The ethics of the story are also questionable. Sure the man solved a murder, but should we really be peeking into other people's personal lives? Best for teens and up. Many younger kids will be either scared or bored.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byBen K. January 9, 2018

Watched with 9yo and 6yo

If your kids are begging to watch an adult "scary movie," this is a good option. All of the violence is off screen, talked about in speculation between the main characters. My daughters were tagging right along with Jimmy Stewart, speculating on what happened. I wouldn't show it to a 6yo on their own, but with an older sibling and an adult to explain what is going on, and point out why the filmmaking is so special, and talk about how the characters behave in the film, it's very enjoyable. There's some smoking and questionable behavior, but that's pretty much a given in older films and something that can be addressed by the grownup.
Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written bypiper0137 September 22, 2017

Great suspenseful thriller as an intro to Hitchcock

My twin 10 year olds, who lately have been begging us to watch scary movies, love this Hitchcock thriller. The pace is good, it's scary without being too much for tweens, and has a good ending. Your going-on-eleven kid will love this introduction to Hitchcock. Start here.