Parent reviews for Red Tails

Red Tails Poster Image

Disappointing, Disturbing

My advice: Don't bother. **Warning: Spoilers** The writers tried to tackle too many characters in too short a film, relying on cliches to fill in development gaps. This may have done well as a tv series instead of a movie. I was expecting a powerful story about these incredible men but instead got a dozen goofy, rushed subplots and excessive gore. Several main characters are in intense peril, horribly injured, and killed. The graphic violence is used to create emotion where storytelling falls short. Includes typical PG-13 language, including one use of "N-" and other overtly racist comments. A romantic relationship develops and includes implied sex, but the couple aren't shown in bed. A man struggles with alcohol but never really seems drunk? It's supposed to be an important plot point but it's tacked on really poorly.

Great

This is a great movie and I liked it very much. The effects are great too. But if you're a person who wants every detail about the Tuskegee Air Men correct, there are a few things wrong in this movie but it just adds more excitement.

Grossly Inaccurate, an Absolute Sham !

When the 332 Fighter Group, usually known as the Tuskegee Airmen, started flying bomber escort missions in May of 1944, much of the Luftwaffe's front line combat strength had already been decimated, largely as a result of Operation Pointblank, which reached its peak during Operation Argument, Big Week, February 20-26. This was a focused attempt, largely the brainchild of Jimmy Doolittle, to savage Germany's aircraft industry and decimate its fighter squadrons. It went into full scale during January of 1944, and ended in April, as bomber missions then started a concentrated campaign to cut Germany's supply of oil and to cripple its transportation infrastructure prior to D-Day. The Tuskegee fliers took no part in it. During that period, the Eighth Air Force's top pilots ( based in England , and under Doolittle's command ), Francis Gabreski, Robert Johnson and Don Gentile scored 10, 15 and 19 kills on Luftwaffe fighters, respectively. John Godfrey, Gentile's wingman, shot down 6 ( incidentally, the Gentile/Godfrey team was the most famous fighter pairing of World War 2 ). To make this as clear as possible, between January and April of 1944, these four pilots downed half as many planes as the entire 332nd did IN ITS FULL YEAR OF FLYING ESCORT MISSIONS ! Contrary to the film's adolescent dramatics, fighters were directed to seek out and pursue German fighters BEFORE THEY COULD REACH THE BOMBERS ! Dead Germans could not hurt the bombers, and bomber losses to fighters plummeted throughout 1944 ( however, German flak got much worse, as 88mm guns were pulled from the Russian Front to protect German cities). Likewise, accompanying bombers over target areas made no sense for our fighters, as German fighters usually struck before and after the B17s and B24s hit their industrial targets SO AS NOT TO BE SHOT DOWN BY THEIR OWN FLAK ! Flying over target thus put fighters at unnecessary risk from flak, which they had no power over during escort missions. Regarding the Curtis P 40 ( which is loudly complained about in the movie by 332nd pilots ), British, Australian and South African pilots were very successful against Axis fighters with them in North Africa ( Clive Caldwell , top Aussie Ace, notched 20 kills with the P 40 before being transferred to the Pacific ). At the same time the 332nd was receiving P 51s, The Flying Tigers (14th Air Force ) were still overwhelmingly dependent on P 40s, using them to great effect the spring of 1944 to thwart the Japanese Ichi-Go Offensive in China, not completely converting to P 51 Mustangs until June of 1945. CONCLUSION : The only way to enjoy this movie is by knowing little about WW2, nothing about the air war, less than nothing about the war in the Mediterranean, and much less than nothing about the air war in the MTO. Lukas has colluded to insult every other American fighter group, especially the other six ( 1st, 14th, 82nd---all flying P38s---31st, 52nd, and 325th ---all flying P51s the last year of the war ) that served the Fifteenth Air Force along with the 332nd. Those six groups downed over 1,400 Axis planes, on average each credited with twice as many kills as The Tuskegee guys. GOT THE PICTURE ? Read The Forgotten Fifteenth by Barrett Tillman for more insights !

A good history lesson for everyone, especially coin collectors.

Viewers of this movie will see that even recreation was segregated during World War II. For example, when Colonel Tomlinson goes into the bar, he's told that it's an officer's club. When he says, "I am an officer", he's told that it's a whites only officer's club. But, after his men prove their heroics, that whole group is invited back into that same bar. The Tuskegee airmen had to work so much harder for acceptance than did other soldiers. But that did not stop them. Because of their hard work and good records, including a couple major victories in battle, eventually they got the recognition they deserved. That is why those men have been chosen to be Alabama's National Park quarter, to be released in 2021.

Bad writing shot what could have been a great film right down the crapper

This movie should have been so much better, but the acting and writing are just sub-par. The action sequences are pretty good, but without any real connection to the characters the tension is just not there. It's sad, because this was such an important story to tell and they just screwed it all up. In the end it is just a corny, badly written, mediocre action movie. I love WWII movies, but this one was just plain disappointing.

Good.

Even though i'm white,I enjoyed this movie! It was cool and action packed! CSM needs to have their reviews checked up!

WHO SAYS BLACK MEN CAN'T FLY?!

Even though the stories of the characters and the acting of some people is a little below average, the movie is all in all pretty good! It has great special effects and it would be a great movie for history buffs! Some of the violence can be too intense for kids. This would actually be a good movie to watch in history class!

Too intense for kids under 13

Violence is too intense for kids under 13. The message gets lost in the blood and violence. Lots of smoking and bad language.

Very Educational, Beware of Language

I took my 3 boys to see this movie, ages 8, 11, and 12. I was surprised by the unneccesary use of cursing in the movie, some uncomfortable alcohol dependent situations, and one sexual encounter implied scene. However, the historical significance of the war was well worth coming. The actors did a wonderful job, it portrayed a part of the war that even I didn't know existed about the African Americans, and we really learned a bit about history. If I had to do it all over again, I would definately take my kids to see this, but would not bring my 8 year old. If only they had pared down the cursing, drinking, and sexual implications, it would have been more appropriate for younger kids. What a great history lesson!

Good film to watch.

I think that was a good movie to begin dialogue on the many accomplishments of African-Americans in wars. I was pleased that the audience, when I saw the movie, was diverse. This let me know this wasn't just a "black" move but an American movie. Congrats to George Lucas for his tenacity in getting this movie made.