Parent reviews for Reservoir Dogs

Raw and bloody. For adults.

Adult Written byGraduateReviews May 17, 2018

Reservoir Dogs is pure 90's Tarantino... which should speak for itself.

Quentin Tarantino is widely regarded as one of the greatest directors of all time (even though his portfolio only contains eight films). His movies have gained an almost religious cult-like following, and his newer works never fail to surprise even the most hardcore fans. That being said, Tarantino's success is partially due to his knack for extreme, almost satirical violence. Reservoir Dogs was his first film to debut on the silver screen internationally and is infamous for its hilarious, pop-culture jammed screenplay, non-linear narrative, and its brutal, brutal, brutal shootouts. To put this film's violence into proper context, it is said that actor Tim Roth (whose character Mr. Orange plays a pivotal role in the story) had to be peeled off the floor of the set due to the amount of stage blood he was lying in. And don't forget about the controversial torture scene, set to the sound of Stealers Wheel "Stuck in the Middle With You." But if you're looking for Tarantino, Reservoir Dogs is the best place to begin. 15+.

Adult Written byDixieN November 17, 2019

PLS READ all parents

I let my 12 year old son watch this and we had a ball.
We skipped the torture seen but other than that we absolutely Loved this movie. It’s fine for 12 IF they are very mature!
Adult Written byMannyReviews May 10, 2021

A good movie if you can understand the plot

I honestly didnt like this movie just because it didnt have as much action as a typical tarantino movie like django, but i know that its a classic so i guess it is okay. There was a lot of language and there is a character who is bleeding out for the duration of the movie, and a torture scene that is kinda graphic. A good movie for teens IF they can understand it, its more complex than the matrix in the sense that you dont know the characters(they are refered to as colors) and you dont know what happened.

Parent Written byApersonthatdoes... April 5, 2021

Reservoir dogs

Okay for 12 and easily
Adult Written byCarlos Q December 7, 2020

classic!

entertaining movie with strong acting memorable characters
Only concern is the obscene language but if your child can take the language and the graphic scenes then you're in for a sweet movie night

Adult Written byAn honest parent September 21, 2020

Depends on your kid

My 12 year old watched this in secret when he came home from school early. When we eventually found out, and got over our anger, I asked him how it was. And he said it was great, a lot of swearing but he didn’t understand why it was an 18. He also said it lacked in story, which it does, as I’ve watched it a million times myself. It may not have a great story, and it may not stick with you, but it’s fun, and me and my son have watched it many times since.

Adult Written byGlynnsf August 31, 2020

Not for younger teens

There may not be actual sex, but the sex talk is extremely graphic. Inappropriate for most kids under 16.
Adult Written byTherate August 5, 2020

A Masterpiece for Mature Teens

Quentin Tarantino's directorial debut, Reservoir Dogs, is an undeniable masterpiece that jump started the directors career and helped him make some of the most influential movies ever!
The movie however, in similar to all of his other films, has graphic violence, and a large amount of swearing.
Even though this movie is considered somewhat old the violence is still realistic and could startle sensitive and younger viewers. Also very vulgar language flows out of the mouths of the characters every other sentence but kids who are 13 years old and up will know not to use this type of language daily.
I recommend this movie for kids 14 and up but if you are a mature 13 or 12 year than this movie is good for you too.
The story can be somewhat complicated for less mature and younger audiences because of the non-linear way it is told in but older viewers should be able to pick up on what's happening.
To sum up, this cinematic masterpiece should be ok for kids 14 and up and is a must watch!

Adult Written byFilmreviews.org November 12, 2019
Parent of a 13-year-old Written byBobby Butthole September 24, 2019

PLEASE READ THIS TRUTHFUL REVIEW

This is a really great film, exhilarating. I was unsure to watch this with my 12 year old son, but he asked and asked so I let him. He plays violent games like Call of duty and GTA. however I was still unsure if this would be too violent! I was wrong. It was fine, the violence was nothing compared to the games he was playing. We did skip the torture scene, even though it was short. A great film, one of his faves. Don't let your kid not watch this. It does have a LOT of swearing but if you know your kid wont use the bad words it is perfect. No sex too. irresistible fim, DONT MISS OUT! Still a bit bloody, but teens can handle it no problem. Commonsensemedia go WAY to over the top. 12 plus only though! DONT MISS OUT.

Adult Written byawg September 13, 2019

ok. one scene is bad

this movie is not as good as people say. it all hapens in a short amount of time. language 9 violence 7 drugs 3 sex 5
Parent of a 4 and 6-year-old Written byKvothe the Ruh April 2, 2019

Reservior Dogs

A very good movie that is not nearly as violent as people say it is. A masterpiece!

Adult Written byFrizzy15 March 9, 2019

Clever but Violent and Extremely Vulgar

Neat thriller for older teens and adults. Clever twists and turns. Bit too much blood, vulgarity and violence for younger teens and children. It's right up there with some of the violent mob movies from the 1980s and 1990s.

Parent Written byDerek P. December 2, 2017

Does have positive messages

Extremely violent and disturbing but disagree that there are no positive messages because the characters are "unrepentant thieves".
The positive message that can be taken from this movie is that crime doesn't pay. The thieves' plan goes disastrously wrong and it is shown very clearly that their criminality and selfishness led to mistrust and chaos for all of them, resulting in their gruesome deaths. The thieves did not win in this film. They start the movie in jovial camaraderie and end the movie as paranoid wrecks who destroy each other and themselves. Overall message: crime and selfishness lead to bad things.

Adult Written byJoe J. March 9, 2017

Tarantino's debut that kicks ass.

Adult Written byTim d. February 22, 2017

For older kids

Lots of language, of course. There is also some very uncomfortable, gratuitous sexual talk. There is a lot of blood and some violence (mostly one torture scene). Because their is really no positive message or even redeeming qualities (except its entertainment value), I would only recommend for adults or mature teens.

Adult Written bydarthsitkur July 23, 2016

Worst heist movie EVER

why make a film about a jewelry store heist gone wrong if you're NOT GONNA SHOW WHAT HAPPENED?, and plus, it was PAINFULLY SLOW too, it would've been forgivable if they put the botched heist and the shootout with the police in the deleted scenes section, but NOOOOO, they just HAD to leave it out. if you want a fun and fast paced heist flick with nonstop action and suspense, check out the town, cradle 2 the grave, or ronin as a few examples
Adult Written byporkchoppal August 23, 2015

Dialled-Down 90's Crime Classic Began the Career of a Modern Auteur

Violence/Gore: 8
Sex/Nudity: 5
Profanity: 10
Hedonism: 8
Mature/Scary: 6
Parent of a 15 and 18+-year-old Written byJared82379469 September 28, 2014

One of the most memorable masterpieces of the 90s.

Many have said that there was no real main character to this movie. But I'd say Chris Penn would be the lead actor in one of his best performances ever (and he was also great in Footloose and the Funeral), and I say that the day Chris Penn died from cardiomyopathy at the age of 40 in 2006 was the day Tarantino's popularity died down. It was sort of true because while Inglorious Basterds was nowhere near this or Pulp Fiction (which I think is Tarantino's best movie), this movie's got great performances from Lawrence Tierney of Dillinger, Tim Roth, Steve Buscemi, Harvey Keitel, and Penn, and though he may not be the lead star, it's really his movie.