Parent reviews for Return to Oz

1985 follow-up to classic musical is tin-eared and creepy.

Parent Written bySinfoniarc August 8, 2019

The Darker Side Of Oz

I think Disney's decision to make this movie was almost as bad as the MPAA's decision to rate it PG. Disney made this film in the mid-80s at a time in which they were about to have to relinquish their rights to the Frank Baum books back to MGM. The movie was plagued with problems from the very beginning and ultimately flopped as a result.

Despite it being a bad movie, this movie is not for children. Return To Oz explores the darker side of the Oz books, as exhibited in the second the third sequels. It begins with Dorothy being sent to a sanitarium for primitive electro-shock therapy in a vain attempt to get the thoughts of Oz out of her head.

Once back in Oz, she encounters an onslaught of antagonists including a princess (Mombi) that has a cabinet full of removable heads, a bunch of guys with wheels for hands and feet (the wheelers), and the Nome King, who is the mastermind behind it all.

Forget the light-hearted nature of the 1939 classic. This "sequel" possesses a darkness that would make Tim Burton proud.
Adult Written bySierraJames54 October 15, 2018
This is far too scary for "The Wizard of Oz". It's like Oz mixed mingle with "Tales From the Darkside". Stick with the generally acclaimed 1939 classic and/or the hottest 1978 version instead.

Parent Written byAmanda B. May 25, 2018

Frightening for younger kids

I wanted to leave a review for this movie because none of the reviews I have read mention the Wheelers, which I was truly terrified of when I watched this movie for the first time as a child! Between the Wheelers, the scene where Dorothy breaks out of the institution and is chased and the scene with Dorothy trying to steal the key to Mombie’s “Real head” cabinet so she can steal the magic flying dust, as a child I was beside myself with fear! While I really enjoy this movie, it is not for the faint hearted and unsuitable for younger children period!
Adult Written byErica C. December 27, 2016

Love it!!!

Loved this movie ever since I was little. I think it's fine to let your kids watch it. I watched it ever since i was little and will watch it again and again.

Adult Written byMike W. November 23, 2016

Classic, Dark 80's Fantasy

Return to Oz is a actually a return to the true story of Oz. It is not the fantastic (in it's own way) musical that we all know and love. It is the story of a world over-run with corruption; and a young woman who must learn to navigate it.
This tale is a dark, and creepy; but it has character that have real heart. If you want to watch a movie with a moral, and difficult decisions; you can do much worse than Return to Oz.

Adult Written bystephanie d. October 31, 2016

not for children this is mk ultra

I saw this movie as a child and thinking back it was horrifying.. not to mention rewatching as an adult this is all about mk ultra if you dont know what that is you may want to google it
Disgusting sick altar ego escaping from their electro shock therapy.. NOT A KIDS MOVIE

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byRobyns_Nomomie May 30, 2014

Pass on it for the kids ~ Crazy Flash back for the adults

For the age range it is geared to 6 - 12 it is not appropriate. To scary, concept and social situation that are not ones you want to probably want to cover with your child, such as Mental Instability and Sanitariums, scary for sure for young ones.

For Teen will not likely hold their interest

For adults it ~ for it was a crazy flashback of my childhood. Glad I pre-Viewed it before letting the little one watch it.

Adult Written byKenEmerton August 14, 2013

Classic movie from the 80's.

I'm only reviewing because the review this website gives isn't exactly true. The movie IS dark and disturbing, but what they don't understand is that the Judy Garland movie actually TONED DOWN the "Oz" Franchise quite a bit. The original Oz books are very dark and quite violent. If you want a movie that's more true to the Oz books, go with Return to Oz.

Adult Written bynewteach87 July 10, 2013

Too scary for younger kids

This is actually not an official sequel to the 1939 Judy Garland film. It is not a musical and the tone is more sad and dark. The director said it was more of a sequel to the generic story of 'The Wizard of Oz'. The Ruby Slippers were only used because Disney payed MGM a huge sum. This movie is much too scary for little kids. Characters such as the Gnome king, the Wheelers, and Mombi are quite disturbing. I would definitely not watch this.

Parent of a 5 and 8-year-old Written bymomanddad of O and L May 24, 2013

Nowhere near good enough to watch again!

Parent of a 6-year-old Written byskbotvc14 September 29, 2012

A slightly more strange rendition of the book "Ozma of Oz."

It is a slightly twisted version of the book "Ozma of Oz" by L. Frank Baum. Most of his story remains intact, but some key elements have been changed. The book was odd, the movie a bit odder. It was never meant to be "whimsical or fantastical" it was always meant to be darker and more creepy - though the changes for the MOVIE version did make it even more so. That said, I liked it but wouldn't show it to my 6-yr-old for a few more years.