All parent member reviews for Rise of the Guardians

Parent Written bymamanas November 21, 2012

Not for the younger kids.

I think this is something for kids age 7 or 8. One of mine was younger and she came with it stating: "the black man is bad". And of course Jack Frost was white so we really had to get in depth to try to make sure that she did not associate black with being bad.
Parent Written byVBM November 24, 2012

Pitch's horses are far scarier then CSM's initial review would lead one to believe.

It's definitely one that you should read about and determine if your kids would be okay with. There were some parts that I worried would scare my youngest son, but he was fine. After, he said: "There was a bad guy with scary horses," but then he moved on to talk about the parts that were really beautiful. It's a gorgeous movie, but there are definitely some very scary parts--the villain’s goal was to replace hope with fear in children, so that doesn't help. It's also very fast, so if your kids are sensory-sensitive, this might not be the movie for them. My guys are okay with stuff like that, but I was still a bit worried when Pitch came on the screen. Notice in CSM's review, they don’t mention much about just how scary Pitch's stallions are. This site is usually spot-on, so I was surprised when they first came on the screen.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byNina_E November 22, 2012

The film is visually beautiful, and I left the theater with a smile.

My 8 year old said, "That was a good movie. I liked it." As for myself, I think I actually loved it. The characters are well done and creatively imagined. Good conquers evil in the end, and needless fear and paranoia are banished (if only we could do this with politics in the grown-up world!). Characters are in peril at times, but there is no gore. Different personalities learn to work together and get along. It's a lovely little film.
Parent Written byMaryGould4814 November 24, 2012

Frightening, negative, violent and teaches kids they are victims.

Favorite fairy tale characters (Santa, Tooth Fairy,etc.) portrayed as vengeful, murderous superheros that violently attack ominous, all powerful Fear (Bogeyman) so that victimized, powerless children will still believe in them. Frightening, confusing, emotionally/visually/conceptually overwhelming and totally inappropriate for children younger than 10. Driven by a negative world view of people as hapless victims of powerlessness: inevitable nightmares, deep-rooted hate, spiritual deception. Portrays fear as more powerful than trust in self, love and all things good. I feel pity for the young audiences that will see this movie and digest it as real life. Plus, Santa calls someone a blow hard. Ugh.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byCubbys Mom November 23, 2012

Tattooed Santa??

Why does Santa have to be tattooed? Strong, confident, able to kick the bad guys hinny is great. Is it so "normal" now to deface your body that even the most benign symbols of innocence and joy has to be tattooed?
Parent Written bybellfamily627 December 7, 2012

New Classic

I adored this film. I took my children to see the movie yesterday in a mostly empty theatre (sadly for the film, great for us) and loved every moment. There are a few intense scenes for kids under 7, and a couple of tear jerkers for the very sensitive, but they added, rather than took away from the film experience. The animation is phenomenal, the acting is spot-on, and the character of Jack is one that will be remembered for a life-time. This is truly a new children's classic.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bydulpurp November 29, 2012

Fantastic animation, fun film if you don't think about it much.

Enjoyed the fantastic animation, at times this movie was just visually stunning. My 6-year-old actually was less scared of the boogie man and his nightmares (get it?, "mare"=horse) than he was of the alien bugs and machine guns in Wreck-It Ralph. Most people will probably view this film on the surface as an action-filled Avengers-esque romp about hope triumphing over fear. My kid isn't old enough, but here's what it would be fun to discuss with older kids, though: is it good for kids to believe in things like the tooth fairy? Why do you think there is zero mention of anything related to Christianity despite Easter and Christmas playing a prominent role in the film? If Jack is a Guardian, when you learn about his past, does it make you think about the other Guardians' early lives? Why can't fear and hope coexist in the same world?
Parent of a 15 and 15 year old Written bykshRox November 25, 2012

What is your center

My teenage girls (15) enjoyed this very much. I also enjoyed it very much. An engaging tale with a multiple positive messages and very creative twists updating the traditional images for our holiday figures. I especially enjoyed them being strong and assertive characters rather than washed out and pacified. I particularly enjoyed the theme of finding your center or knowing yourself and what it is that defines you.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byPlastics December 24, 2012

Don't expect a happy holiday film!

I was terribly disappointed! A Christmas movie with a Santa clause with Tatoos and wielding two swords!? Violent and dark with nightmare Stallions and constant fighting/battling. Is this what we must expect for children's holiday movies now!? What a shame!
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byjenanli November 25, 2012

Great movie, great story.

I loved this movie. I thought it was pretty empowering for the kids to know that they have control, in a sense, of what they can choose to scare them or not. (I won't explain further so I don't ruin the ending). There were two times my girls got a little sad, but as it should, it all turned out ok in the end.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bySongbird21 January 19, 2013

I am, for once, happily proven wrong.

When I saw the commercials for this movie I thought "Santa and the Easter bunny as actions heros? That's just stupid." But my sister, who had seen it 3 times by that point, said she'd pay for my ticket if I would only give the movie a chance...I am SO beyond glad that I did. The story is brilliant and has a lot of heart. The animation is top notch and the acting is right on. Please see this movie. It truly is a hidden gem.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 10 year old Written byannasgot3 November 24, 2012

Great story, beautiful animation, some scary scenes with the Boogie Man

Our 5, 8 and 10 year olds (AND mom and dad) all really enjoyed this movie. Great for family movie night! The 2 girls liked it more than "Wreck It Ralph", and they really enjoyed that movie too. There was some "perilous" scenes that would probably scare some children. And, for better or for worse, I would say this cemented my kids belief in Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and Jack Frost. I would see this again and recommend it to others.
Parent Written byMom4gurlz December 23, 2012

A fun sleigh ride for all

So this film is actually pretty fun. But it dose have a lot of dark intense scenes. Our youngest is three and was just fine, our five year old had to hold my hand a bit. Santa does wield swords and is a pretty gruff character. The Easter bunny has a lot of Aussies slang and is probably fine for the American kids who have no idea what he is saying but phrases like "rack off" and "bloody" might be off limits to some families especially those Australian families that have a different social context for these. I do like that Jack Frost became a guardian because he sacrificed himself in his human life. But don't expect to find a deeper message than the good guys fight the bad guy and it has the happy ending we all want. This is a great romp through the imagination and feel good movie.
Parent of a 8, 14, and 16 year old Written bymomofvt December 20, 2012

A Great Movie for Kids on the Edge of Doubt

This is a wonderful film for children who are on the edge of doubt. So many Christmas movies give children more doubt before they bring them back, but this does the opposite. The whole superhero theme was a fabulous and new concept. My children, eight, fourteen, and sixteen, and I all loved the film. Great family movie for the Holiday Break!
Adult Written byapackage December 3, 2012

Everyone Loves the Sleigh

I took my 5 year old daughter, 9 year old son and 11 year old daughter to see this. I coached the 5 year old a lot before we went, because I was concerned that it might be too scary for her, but it wasn't at all. The Bogeyman is scary, and the idea that he turns happy dreams into nightmares is pretty, well, nightmarish. But in the end (as the 5 yo told me herself), he isn't that scary because he is wracked by self-doubt and loneliness. You just can't be too scared of a pathetic bad guy. So she was fine with it. The 9 yo really liked it, enjoying the action and the idea and the wisecracks. The 11 yo enjoyed it while it was playing, but afterwards was a bit more ambivalent. As for mom? I really enjoyed it. The settings and characters were beautiful and fun, and the premise was nifty. The plot is somewhat flimsy, and not that well-executed, but the characters were fun enough, and the animation beautiful enough, so that in the end I didn't care. My favorite parts were enjoying Alec Baldwin playing a tattooed (one forearm says "Naughty" and one says "Nice") Santa and Hugh Jackman an Outback Easter Bunny. I'm glad we went. A little coaching for a 5 yo with older sibs should be all that's needed. It's too scary for toddlers or younger preschoolers, and by the time a kid hits the tweens, it might be a little boring.
Educator and Parent of a 9 year old Written byMsB423 December 2, 2012

Great 3-D Effects

While it was visually attractive, I wasn't impressed with the idea of using beloved characters such as Santa and the Easter Bunny as the guardians in this movie. Santa had tattoos, an accent, and liked to use swords--not the Santa from my childhood. The Easter Bunny seemed angry all the time, and seemed to hold a grudge against Jack Frost. The only character I actually liked was Jack Frost. The movie had a positive message about figuring out what it is that makes a person who he or she is, and the overall plot was action-packed with some beautiful animation. However, the same basic plot could have worked without involving Santa and the Easter Bunny. The Man in the Moon was portrayed as a "god-like" figure, which I also found disturbing. For older kids, it can be seen as just an entertaining movie, but for younger kids, especially those who do believe in Santa and other childhood characters, some parts of the movie could be upsetting. If you go, do so for the visual effects and for fun, but if you've got a true believer for a kid, this might not be the movie for them.
Parent Written byLKinBC December 9, 2014

Interesting and empowering film for kids. Has some scary moments.

This was a great movie for family movie night. I hadn't been taken with the advertising so was somewhat ambivalent but once the movie started I was totally wrapped up in it. Pitch's horses look scary but my 6 year old wasn't phased at all. The tense moments however ADD to the movie and to the sense of resolution and empowerment at the end. The resolution pleasantly surprised me. My kids (6 & 8) commented afterwards that they are only afraid of nightmares if they choose to be so now they choose not to be. Turned out to help them over real life fears, rather than add to them. I appreciated that as a mom and really like this movie. Yeah, Santa has tattoos and the Easter bunny is WAY buffer than I remember him but that just adds to this very different characterization of them and becomes fun and memorable. Santa is still all about the wonder of it all.
Educator and Parent Written byChitown mom January 1, 2014

Good family film

I was concerned when CSM review said it was similar to The Avengers, which I thought had way too much violence for my youngest(7). There really was only a battle at the end and it was mostly magic. My youngest was a bit scared by Pitch and the Nightmare horses, but as it all ended fine, she loved it. Overall, I liked the positive messages of working together and thinking of others before yourself. Good family movie for families of middle elementary kids and older.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bychubbycheeklove July 20, 2013

Bad guy is nightmare-scary

With a bad guy that has what looks like serrated teeth and black, scary looking horses running around-this story, while great for older children, is nightmare inducing for younger kids
Parent of a 4, 4, and 8 year old Written bytammrudy March 24, 2013

Secular Holiday Success

As a family we liked this and thought it was lots of fun. We enjoyed the Russian style Santa and the Easter Bunny that were more secular and on par with the tooth fairy and the sandman. No one in our house really knew about Jack Frost (other than the song) so that was a nice addition. The only tough part was Pitch's stalking nightmare horses were a bit scary for 5 year olds, although my 8 year old thought it was pretty cool.