All parent member reviews for Rise of the Guardians

Parent of a 8 year old Written byNina_E November 22, 2012

The film is visually beautiful, and I left the theater with a smile.

My 8 year old said, "That was a good movie. I liked it." As for myself, I think I actually loved it. The characters are well done and creatively imagined. Good conquers evil in the end, and needless fear and paranoia are banished (if only we could do this with politics in the grown-up world!). Characters are in peril at times, but there is no gore. Different personalities learn to work together and get along. It's a lovely little film.
Parent Written byVBM November 24, 2012

Pitch's horses are far scarier then CSM's initial review would lead one to believe.

It's definitely one that you should read about and determine if your kids would be okay with. There were some parts that I worried would scare my youngest son, but he was fine. After, he said: "There was a bad guy with scary horses," but then he moved on to talk about the parts that were really beautiful. It's a gorgeous movie, but there are definitely some very scary parts--the villain’s goal was to replace hope with fear in children, so that doesn't help. It's also very fast, so if your kids are sensory-sensitive, this might not be the movie for them. My guys are okay with stuff like that, but I was still a bit worried when Pitch came on the screen. Notice in CSM's review, they don’t mention much about just how scary Pitch's stallions are. This site is usually spot-on, so I was surprised when they first came on the screen.
Parent Written bymamanas November 21, 2012

Not for the younger kids.

I think this is something for kids age 7 or 8. One of mine was younger and she came with it stating: "the black man is bad". And of course Jack Frost was white so we really had to get in depth to try to make sure that she did not associate black with being bad.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byjenanli November 25, 2012

Great movie, great story.

I loved this movie. I thought it was pretty empowering for the kids to know that they have control, in a sense, of what they can choose to scare them or not. (I won't explain further so I don't ruin the ending). There were two times my girls got a little sad, but as it should, it all turned out ok in the end.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 10 year old Written byannasgot3 November 24, 2012

Great story, beautiful animation, some scary scenes with the Boogie Man

Our 5, 8 and 10 year olds (AND mom and dad) all really enjoyed this movie. Great for family movie night! The 2 girls liked it more than "Wreck It Ralph", and they really enjoyed that movie too. There was some "perilous" scenes that would probably scare some children. And, for better or for worse, I would say this cemented my kids belief in Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and Jack Frost. I would see this again and recommend it to others.
Parent of a 15 and 15 year old Written bykshRox November 25, 2012

What is your center

My teenage girls (15) enjoyed this very much. I also enjoyed it very much. An engaging tale with a multiple positive messages and very creative twists updating the traditional images for our holiday figures. I especially enjoyed them being strong and assertive characters rather than washed out and pacified. I particularly enjoyed the theme of finding your center or knowing yourself and what it is that defines you.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byCubbys Mom November 23, 2012

Tattooed Santa??

Why does Santa have to be tattooed? Strong, confident, able to kick the bad guys hinny is great. Is it so "normal" now to deface your body that even the most benign symbols of innocence and joy has to be tattooed?
Parent Written bybellfamily627 December 7, 2012

New Classic

I adored this film. I took my children to see the movie yesterday in a mostly empty theatre (sadly for the film, great for us) and loved every moment. There are a few intense scenes for kids under 7, and a couple of tear jerkers for the very sensitive, but they added, rather than took away from the film experience. The animation is phenomenal, the acting is spot-on, and the character of Jack is one that will be remembered for a life-time. This is truly a new children's classic.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bydulpurp November 29, 2012

Fantastic animation, fun film if you don't think about it much.

Enjoyed the fantastic animation, at times this movie was just visually stunning. My 6-year-old actually was less scared of the boogie man and his nightmares (get it?, "mare"=horse) than he was of the alien bugs and machine guns in Wreck-It Ralph. Most people will probably view this film on the surface as an action-filled Avengers-esque romp about hope triumphing over fear. My kid isn't old enough, but here's what it would be fun to discuss with older kids, though: is it good for kids to believe in things like the tooth fairy? Why do you think there is zero mention of anything related to Christianity despite Easter and Christmas playing a prominent role in the film? If Jack is a Guardian, when you learn about his past, does it make you think about the other Guardians' early lives? Why can't fear and hope coexist in the same world?
Parent Written byMaryGould4814 November 24, 2012

Frightening, negative, violent and teaches kids they are victims.

Favorite fairy tale characters (Santa, Tooth Fairy,etc.) portrayed as vengeful, murderous superheros that violently attack ominous, all powerful Fear (Bogeyman) so that victimized, powerless children will still believe in them. Frightening, confusing, emotionally/visually/conceptually overwhelming and totally inappropriate for children younger than 10. Driven by a negative world view of people as hapless victims of powerlessness: inevitable nightmares, deep-rooted hate, spiritual deception. Portrays fear as more powerful than trust in self, love and all things good. I feel pity for the young audiences that will see this movie and digest it as real life. Plus, Santa calls someone a blow hard. Ugh.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byPlastics December 24, 2012

Don't expect a happy holiday film!

I was terribly disappointed! A Christmas movie with a Santa clause with Tatoos and wielding two swords!? Violent and dark with nightmare Stallions and constant fighting/battling. Is this what we must expect for children's holiday movies now!? What a shame!
Parent of a 11 year old Written bySongbird21 January 19, 2013

I am, for once, happily proven wrong.

When I saw the commercials for this movie I thought "Santa and the Easter bunny as actions heros? That's just stupid." But my sister, who had seen it 3 times by that point, said she'd pay for my ticket if I would only give the movie a chance...I am SO beyond glad that I did. The story is brilliant and has a lot of heart. The animation is top notch and the acting is right on. Please see this movie. It truly is a hidden gem.
Educator and Parent of a 9 year old Written byMsB423 December 2, 2012

Great 3-D Effects

While it was visually attractive, I wasn't impressed with the idea of using beloved characters such as Santa and the Easter Bunny as the guardians in this movie. Santa had tattoos, an accent, and liked to use swords--not the Santa from my childhood. The Easter Bunny seemed angry all the time, and seemed to hold a grudge against Jack Frost. The only character I actually liked was Jack Frost. The movie had a positive message about figuring out what it is that makes a person who he or she is, and the overall plot was action-packed with some beautiful animation. However, the same basic plot could have worked without involving Santa and the Easter Bunny. The Man in the Moon was portrayed as a "god-like" figure, which I also found disturbing. For older kids, it can be seen as just an entertaining movie, but for younger kids, especially those who do believe in Santa and other childhood characters, some parts of the movie could be upsetting. If you go, do so for the visual effects and for fun, but if you've got a true believer for a kid, this might not be the movie for them.
Parent of a 8, 14, and 16 year old Written bymomofvt December 20, 2012

A Great Movie for Kids on the Edge of Doubt

This is a wonderful film for children who are on the edge of doubt. So many Christmas movies give children more doubt before they bring them back, but this does the opposite. The whole superhero theme was a fabulous and new concept. My children, eight, fourteen, and sixteen, and I all loved the film. Great family movie for the Holiday Break!
Parent Written bytreat02 December 6, 2012

Very excellent movie

This movie was very well-made and the plot was wonderful. I believe any kid (maybe six, depends on the kid) 7 and older can most certainly watch it. This was great, and SPOILER ALERT!! there are only scary parts when the "bad guy", the "boogieman" is there, and when Sandy seems to "die" (he comes back later). In a lot of other parts, there is fun, and positive messages about the guardians and the kids. Wonderful movie, I enjoyed it very much!
Parent Written byMom4gurlz December 23, 2012

A fun sleigh ride for all

So this film is actually pretty fun. But it dose have a lot of dark intense scenes. Our youngest is three and was just fine, our five year old had to hold my hand a bit. Santa does wield swords and is a pretty gruff character. The Easter bunny has a lot of Aussies slang and is probably fine for the American kids who have no idea what he is saying but phrases like "rack off" and "bloody" might be off limits to some families especially those Australian families that have a different social context for these. I do like that Jack Frost became a guardian because he sacrificed himself in his human life. But don't expect to find a deeper message than the good guys fight the bad guy and it has the happy ending we all want. This is a great romp through the imagination and feel good movie.
Adult Written byrufuskaloofus December 12, 2012

Make more family movies like this!

Had no expectations (or even knowledge) about this movie, and absolutely loved it. Our whole family loved it, as well as our son's 9-year-old friend, who was seeing it for a second time. I don't recall an entire theater of kids laughing out loud, and applauding at the end of a film. (Nemo?) Goes to show that kids know a good story when they see/hear one. The website won't let me pick 5 stars, but it is 5 stars! The movie looks great, the characters are really memorable, the animation is fantastic, and the story is really solid. We are not completely conscious of the messages and horror stories are children are witnessing in the real world every day -- shootings in movie theaters, children getting murdered, terrifying super storms that wipe out entire towns. They are living in an entirely different world than their parents, and to experience a movie where fear (Pitch) is conquered literally by joy, wonder and hope felt empowering for all of us.
Adult Written byapackage December 3, 2012

Everyone Loves the Sleigh

I took my 5 year old daughter, 9 year old son and 11 year old daughter to see this. I coached the 5 year old a lot before we went, because I was concerned that it might be too scary for her, but it wasn't at all. The Bogeyman is scary, and the idea that he turns happy dreams into nightmares is pretty, well, nightmarish. But in the end (as the 5 yo told me herself), he isn't that scary because he is wracked by self-doubt and loneliness. You just can't be too scared of a pathetic bad guy. So she was fine with it. The 9 yo really liked it, enjoying the action and the idea and the wisecracks. The 11 yo enjoyed it while it was playing, but afterwards was a bit more ambivalent. As for mom? I really enjoyed it. The settings and characters were beautiful and fun, and the premise was nifty. The plot is somewhat flimsy, and not that well-executed, but the characters were fun enough, and the animation beautiful enough, so that in the end I didn't care. My favorite parts were enjoying Alec Baldwin playing a tattooed (one forearm says "Naughty" and one says "Nice") Santa and Hugh Jackman an Outback Easter Bunny. I'm glad we went. A little coaching for a 5 yo with older sibs should be all that's needed. It's too scary for toddlers or younger preschoolers, and by the time a kid hits the tweens, it might be a little boring.
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written byMommieSense December 2, 2012

Good vs evil on the fringes of the human "kid" world

Stunning visual movie, which strongly portrays the dream vs nightmare theme. A few choice words, which seems out of place from animated characters and the bad guy was definitely a bit too dark for the 6 and under set. My two 7 year olds loved it and cheered on the good guys. Loved Santa's Eastern European persona, kids have just read about Saint Nick (born in Turkey) so really loved that portrayal. Sandman is adorable.
Adult Written byartluv December 8, 2012

Much better than I ever expected.

This movie is incredibly imaginative and can harness the inner-child in both teenagers and adults, as well as dazzling children with its creativity, likeable characters, and good storyline. One of the strengths of the movie is the characters and how they work off one another, both as a team and as competitive rivals. The animation is unbeleivable, and the story has a surprising amount of heart for an adventure with Santa, the Tooth Fairy, the Sandman, the Easterbunny, and Jack Frost. When I saw the advertising and concept behind this film, I thought it sounded incredibly stupid and lame. Much to my surprise, I highly enjoyed the film (it was horribly advertised; do some more research about the film other than just it's ads) and would say it is Dreamwork's strongest work yet. It is definately on-par with Pixar's creations like Wall*e, and Miyazaki films. It's the perfect movie for just pure fun, adventure, and child-like holiday wonder.