All parent member reviews for Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Educator Written bytheshlaay August 7, 2011

Multi-faceted, Multi-dimensional

There are definitely positive messages in this movie involving human hubris, arrogance, oppression, fair treatment, and consequences to actions. I would recommend, but make sure to explain to children that it is NOT real and that like real people, no character is all good or all bad.
Parent Written byVAharleygirl August 8, 2011

Timely movie with nice homage to its movie-lineage.

I enjoyed it; I thought it tied in nicely w/ the original "Apes" movies, while showing a slightly more plausible origin how those could come to be. The heartbreak caused by losing a loved one to Alzheimer's was palatable as was the lengths one might go to trying to help them. The lead character tried to do the right thing, both for humanity & his ape-subjects particularly Casear, but of course you know if can't end well for everyone. Andy Serkis (of LotR Gollum fame) once again makes you forget you're seeing a CGI-enhanced being on the screen. No nudity, language was appro for a PG13 & viewer of age 12+, but the themes may not click for them that young. Shades of morality have always been part of this franchise, and "Rise" continues it - and is much more obvious about it.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byluvmykids100 July 27, 2014

Eh

The movie was very appropriate for my 13 year old son, but he got very bored watching this movie. Nothing too exciting.m
Adult Written bythebeatlesrule July 16, 2012

The movie is great, but it does have scary and violent moments.

Apes attack people and kill them and the movie might frighten young kids.
Adult Written bykeeyan January 31, 2012

apes

i love this movie
Adult Written byDr.Pepper December 26, 2011

Surprisingly good reboot

This movie has plenty of violence including deaths of both humans and apes. Parents of animal loving kids be warned: there are lots of scenes of apes being hurt. The language is tame for being PG-13, with a hand full of "hell"s and"d@mn"'s (with and without "god" attached) and one each of the s-word and @$$. The movie was virtually sex free with a couple kissing being as bad as it gets.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bymamacat531 December 15, 2011

Good movie, not for young kids

I really enjoyed this movie... it was well done and thought provoking, but i think it could be too troubling for kids younger than mid-teen.
Parent Written byflipflops2012 October 23, 2011

Can be suitable for young children, depending on the child.

Compared to the orginal story line of Planet of the Apes, this movie definitely wasn't what I expected it to be. However, the movie was still pretty good. The movie does include a lot of violence and some language, which may be unsuitable for some children. The movie is sexual-content free aside from a few little kisses. I feel that the movie should be appropriate for most children 10 and up. If a child is easily scared or may be bothered by violence, then I wouldn't suggest letting them watch it though. It may be a good idea, if you have a young child, to watch the movie first before deciding if it's an okay choice for your child.
Parent Written byMovieDad2001 September 19, 2011

Good movie .... Very intense at times

Overall, this is a very good movie and worthy of the good reviews it has received in the media. As far as a review for your children, the online video review provided by this site is quite good and gives an excellent overview of what to expect. For the most part, violence is the area of concern in this movie. There is quite a bit of violence and agression, with most of it being between humans and apes and some of it between apes and other apes. My 10 year old son and I watched and enjoyed the movie. There were a few scenes that were a little intense for my son and he mentioned that he was "a little" scared. Before the movie, we talked about the story being fictional, that it was just a story. I think the differentiator on this movie, compared to things like Avatar and Harry Potter, the setting is modern day and the plot is explained with modern technology and science. This may make the story line a little more believable for children compared to those other movies where imagination is clearly behind the ideas. There is a lot of opportunity to have parenting conversation with your children. Animal cruelty and greed were high on my conversation list. Conversations about acceptable treatment of animals took place. We also talked about how greed can cloud judgement (big corporations wanting to make money in this case). Finally, we talked about how humans have a history of altering the balance of things in nature and how it never works out as expected. I really thought a long time about seeing this movie with my 10 year old boy. While I personally believe that this movie is less intense than others he has seen, such as the Harry Potter movies, I think the change of setting is the real difference in this movie for it being more intense for a child his age.
Parent Written bycleanmoviemama August 30, 2011

not too violent more action filled, good for older kids and families

I'm a mom who myself doesn't feel comfortable watching many pg-13 movies, but I liked this. there is no sex or innuendo at all. there is fighting, but in most cases no killing. The mean keeper accidently electricuts himself. And you see one gorilla get shot and die. you also see a helicoptor of people shooting the apes go down. That is all the death. its more action than real violence in most cases. There is shooting going on and fighting, but not much actual confrontation. The keeper (tom felton aka Draco Malfoy) is mean and does little abusive things. Something you can talk about with your older children and acknowledge how inhumane it is. While some of the apes are more caring than the humans. There is one ape who has been in a lab for a long time, and is sort of evil. Good chance to talk about the difference between him and the main ape who doesn't want anyone human or ape to get hurt. I wouldn't take children under 8-10 because they won't be able to follow the complex story and understand the fight. They would get scared, but if you understand what's going on I don't think you'd get scared. The main ape makes a point not to kill or let other's kill they just want to get to somewhere where they can be free. I really liked that. There is a little swearing, but on the low end side in my opinion (and I'm strict with swearing). I didn't notice much OMG, it was mainly like the h*** and d***. It's one of the few pg-13 movies that passes my test. I found it was mainly pg-13 for the thematic elements and being able to understand what was going on. Don't take your kids under 8. They'll just get an unrealistic fear of apes. definately glad i didn't take my kids
Parent of a 10 year old Written bynessa3210 August 20, 2011

Okay For Some Kids But Has Violence. ENJOYED THE MOVIE!

I can see the positive messages here and I explained them to my son. The family plays awesome role models, with his care for the ape. There is alot of violence in the film, but I didn't click on the violence button, because I didn't think that it was too much. Some may feel that it is inappropriate to take someone as young as 11 to this. It depends on how the child feels about murder scenes, because there are a few. I don't recommend taking the kids out to see it, but I still didn't think it was that bad. I am picky about not leting my son see films that are too graphic. There were about two scenes were he was a bit scared and I regreted taking him, but those scences went by fast and in the end he liked it. There are no sex scenes. As for drinking, at one point someone carries a beer box, but that is it. The only drugs are the ones that the father is having injected for alzhiemers and the injections the monkeys recieve in the lab. Most of the bad characters lose at the end. I didn't want to see this movie. I didn't think that I was going to like it, but now I can say I really enjoyed this movie.It had good messages.
Parent Written byGoonie@heart August 11, 2011

"Great Apes"

Great movie. Apes is one of the better remade movies I have seen in quite some time. It delivers the heart,action and thrills just when the viewer wants it to. Funny and heart warming. I hope their are more "Ape" movies to come,that are as well crafted as this one, maybe better.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bymumu August 8, 2011

Not bad

The violence was mildly disturbing to my 11 year old animal loving daughter but not overly so. It was not as stupid as I feared it would be, so it's a movie the family can enjoy together.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez August 7, 2011

13 and up.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is a good science fiction movie good for your young teens and parents the only thing you need to worry about in this movie is the animal violence in this movie and some mild language used the role model is that Will is a hardworking visionary who wants to help cure diseases at work and comes home to take care of his ill father. He's not perfect, but he's disciplined, kind, and intelligent. Caesar himself is more "human" than some of the human characters. He's thoughtful, generous, and thinks everything through strategically. He only uses violence when threatened as opposed to for sport.
Adult Written bybdh August 7, 2011

good clever movie

good clever movie
Adult Written byJEDI micah March 30, 2012

RISE OF A GOOD MOVIE!!!

I have not seen the old Planet of the Apes movies, but I can picture this latest one to be the best! There is a humans vs apes battle at the end, not to mention a death scene where one ape falls from the Golden Gate Bridge. That might upset younger viewers who love animals. Besides that with some language, this would be a great movie to watch with your children, especially boys! You will see how Earth will be inhabited by the super-intelligent apes!You will also learn more about the behavior of apes and the way they live in the wild!
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 2, 2012

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

good Action ape movie, and some good moments with the apes
Adult Written byCyraxPredator November 7, 2011

Rise

Parent Written byMom-O-Three September 6, 2011

Well done!

My 7-year old son wanted to join his older siblings to see this movie. He and his 7-year old friend thought it was fantastic. Even his friend is a cautious, quiet firstborn who has no access to videogames and he enjoyed the film. I was pleased that he death scenes are not gory or dramatic. There's not much blood in this movie. The bad guy being electrocuted just fell to the floor - no drama - no showing his dead face. At one point, the big ape is killed on the bridge and it shows him lying there, about to die and his eyes roll back to show that he died, but there is leeway so you can cover your child's eyes when you see this scene coming. Kids who are animal lovers might not like seeing the monkeys in cages or killed. It's hard to believe that the chimps are actually actors because the special effects are done so well. There are slow scenes in the first half and the kids have to be able to sit and understand the story. The violence is really no worse than some of the cartoons we grew up with (Tom & Jerry, Tweety).
Parent Written byJLFM May 12, 2012

Good for older ones. Somewhat intense