Parent reviews for Risky Business

Risky Business Poster Image

A seething satire on capitalism and the long con

A seething satire on capitalism and the long con. Who is conning who? Who is innocent? And who deserves being conned? These questions and more are posed but not answered. I was not super interested in the film (although Cruise's performance is engaging) until the end and then a lot of things fell into place. The temptation of a "happy ending" is less what occurred rather than an oblique attempt at what "back to normal" is. Writer and Director Brickman masterfully pieces this together and the actors deftly portray ALL of the cons.

Risky Business

Movie opens up with a nude woman in the shower. The entire movie is about prostitution and making risky decisions when their parents are out of town.

Vile, perverse, vulgar, dark horrible film

That if you’re willing to watch this sex, nudity filled film you need Heart Healing, and need to know that protecting your eyes in purity is a life saver!! Also why when I look this movie up in this site it shows 4 stars approval is a disappointing mystery

A New Classic

My mother took me to see this movie at the theater in 1983 when i was barely 15. When I walked out I knew Tom Cruise was star bound. The movie is funny with a lot of great lines. The last reviewer is mistaken however on one classic line.. its “Ive got a trig midterm in the morning and Im being chased by Guido the killer pimp”. The movie explains American Capitalism brillantly. Listen carefully to the last two lines of the film. They are easy to miss . However be warned there are two very strong sexual scenes in this movie . One when Lana first comes over and one on a train . So prepare yourself. Im not sure i would have taken my young teen but im more conservative than my parents. But now at 51 its still one of my favorites.

Squirm inducing, but not due to the sex

Tom Cruise in a star making performance as the nice boy who ends up running a brothel and sheltering prostitutes in his parents' tasteful North Shore home. (Most memorable line: "The SATs are tomorrow and I'm being chased by Guiddo the Killer Pimp !") Yes, of course there is a lot of sex, but the movie intelligently questions sexual values, as well as the consumerist and status values of everyone in Joel's oh-so-tasteful suburb. Parents may squirm more at the incisive criticism of upper middle class hypocrisy than the gyrating bodies.