Parent reviews for Roman J. Israel, Esq.

Strong performances, but inconsistent and unsatisfying.

Based on 1 review
Adult Written byUgzilla March 20, 2020

Coulda been good, but... it wasn't...

Here's the positives, I think:
This film gives me an opportunity to have a conversation about racism, inherent bias in the legal system, pro bono work, modern protest, dedication to a cause despite it seeming overwhelming or hopeless, etc.
The scenes where racism and police aggression are shown may be a good reference point for kids who have no other exposure to that sort of behavior. This film is much more real in that respect than many of the films which my kids might watch.

But overall the review here on CSM is accurate - the movie doesn't really go anywhere. Great actors, poor choices, weak motivations that don't make sense. I think I'll let my 13 year old watch it, if desired, but... I don't expect him to like it much. I didn't like it much. Meh. Hopefully it can serve as an eye opener to a few things while we're all locked in the house.
Adult Written byideafurnace October 12, 2017

Denzel Washington is perfect in legal drama film.

Roman J. Israel, Esq. is a film that no kids would like, but teens and adults who like Denzel Washington and drama/action films will want to go see this film. Even though this film does have violence including weapons and dead bodies, it's not that bad. There is some swearing in this film, too, but it isn't that bad, either. I rate the violence 3/5 and language 3/5 too. I highly recommend this film when it comes out in limited release on November 10th and then releases nationwide on November 17th.