Parent reviews for Romeo and Juliet

Romeo and Juliet Poster Image

beautiful and heartfelt!

a beautiful classic! I watched it with my 12yr daughter and she loved it! now. I know some parents may be like; why would you let your 12 yr daughter watch this!? well, my daughter is mature and can handle it. and I covered her eyes in only one scene. this movie is good for 12yrs and up if they are mature, of course. the movie does have a sex scene in a bed where Romeo is fully naked, and you can see a glimpse of Juliet's breasts. other than that has passionate kisses and that's really it. This movie is really moving and is a beautiful classic for mature tweens and or teens.

1 person found this helpful.

Classic story, original play and excellent acting

Original W. Shakespeare play, including original quotes. Very good acting, actors are of correct age - Olivia Hussey (Juliet) was 15 y.o., Juliet was supposed to be 14 y.o. according to the book. Fights and death scenes are not too graphic, but mostly realistic. Of course, fully according to the play, main heroes commit suicide at the end of the movie - so prepare to discuss this with your children. One sexual scene, including naked man from the back and women, covered with sheets. For a brief moment Juliet breasts could be seen (note - actress is, technically, minor - 15 y.o.) Overall, it's a great movie - the best Romeo and Juliet movie so far. The minimum age depends on the child maturity and ability to understand complex topics, such as love, death and fate. I would say 10+ is a minimum, 12+ would be appropriate for most of the children.

Best film R&J, by far

Originally criticized for his extensive cuts to the text, Zefferelli's film is now generally viewed as the best R&J adaptation, largely due to its youthful and exuberant cast. The 2 leads may have been just okay, but the supporting actors, especially Michael York as an insecure Tybalt, Pat Heywood as a delightfully raunchy Nurse, and John McEnery as the best screen Mercutio ever more than take up the slack. The fight choreography in the duel scene is breathtaking and suspenseful, (even though you know what's going to happen), and there's not a dull moment in the entire film. If you want your kids to love Shakespeare, this is where to start.

This movie and the book it is based on both SUCK.

Not even as a kid I liked the book.But this movie is even worse! Terrible acting,it was boring,the art looks like crap.The worst part of this movie was that it was SO CORNY! This movie was just pathetic and depressing!

A VERY CORNY MOVIE!

In my opinion, this movie is as corny as the book! I think it is a complete waste of time and the acting stinks! Also, there is one scene where Romeo and Juliet are in a bed together and one of Juliet's boob is shown for like 1 second. Other than that, this movie is terrible, even though it is based on Shakespeare's most popular plays. Don't bother watching it unless you like the book!

bland obscene version

all right, im just going to say it. this is a horrible version of the movie. we watched it in my 9th grade english class, obviously because my teacher loved the older things. its just out of date. in the bed scene, where we see a naked romeo and a ful frontal juliet, a sub said "rewind it back". this is just perverted. the one with leonardo dicapprio is way better because there is almost no bad nudity.

One of the Best!

An incredible movie! It might be hard for a lot of kids to understand the language, but for the more mature high schoolers, this movie is pretty great!
not rated for age
not rated for age

too many bad scenes

My English class at school watched this movie. It was pretty good except for the sex scenes they had in there. The had to show a back side of a man because they have no idea that we do not like that. They do commit suicide at the end. I don't recommend this movie for anyone under 16.