Parent reviews for Romeo and Juliet

Wonderful, but a little too mature for some kids.

Parent Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

Best film R&J, by far

Originally criticized for his extensive cuts to the text, Zefferelli's film is now generally viewed as the best R&J adaptation, largely due to its youthful and exuberant cast. The 2 leads may have been just okay, but the supporting actors, especially Michael York as an insecure Tybalt, Pat Heywood as a delightfully raunchy Nurse, and John McEnery as the best screen Mercutio ever more than take up the slack. The fight choreography in the duel scene is breathtaking and suspenseful, (even though you know what's going to happen), and there's not a dull moment in the entire film. If you want your kids to love Shakespeare, this is where to start.

Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

A WONDERFUL movie for mature tweens+

This film was rated before the "PG-13" rating was introduced, and in today's times would have been rated PG-13. The movie is well-acted, romantic, heartbreaking, and beautiful. The story of Romeo and Juliet is classic, and lovely. That being said, the social behavior is definitely an issue. Teens committing suicide and getting married very young (Juliet is only 14, Romeo is not much older)are disturbing. All is tasteflully done, and should not be an isssue for mature kids 11 and up. Kids 13 and up will get much more out of it though.
Adult Written byEdica123 November 16, 2020

beautiful and heartfelt!

a beautiful classic! I watched it with my 12yr daughter and she loved it!
now. I know some parents may be like; why would you let your 12 yr daughter watch this!?

well, my daughter is mature and can handle it. and I covered her eyes in only one scene.
this movie is good for 12yrs and up if they are mature, of course.

the movie does have a sex scene in a bed where Romeo is fully naked, and you can see a glimpse of Juliet's breasts.

other than that has passionate kisses and that's really it.
This movie is really moving and is a beautiful classic for mature tweens and or teens.

Parent of a 1, 4, and 7-year-old Written byaetheriadraconis December 12, 2015

Classic story, original play and excellent acting

Original W. Shakespeare play, including original quotes. Very good acting, actors are of correct age - Olivia Hussey (Juliet) was 15 y.o., Juliet was supposed to be 14 y.o. according to the book.

Fights and death scenes are not too graphic, but mostly realistic. Of course, fully according to the play, main heroes commit suicide at the end of the movie - so prepare to discuss this with your children. One sexual scene, including naked man from the back and women, covered with sheets. For a brief moment Juliet breasts could be seen (note - actress is, technically, minor - 15 y.o.)

Overall, it's a great movie - the best Romeo and Juliet movie so far. The minimum age depends on the child maturity and ability to understand complex topics, such as love, death and fate. I would say 10+ is a minimum, 12+ would be appropriate for most of the children.

Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 19, 2012

This movie and the book it is based on both SUCK.

Not even as a kid I liked the book.But this movie is even worse! Terrible acting,it was boring,the art looks like crap.The worst part of this movie was that it was SO CORNY! This movie was just pathetic and depressing!
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 30, 2012

A VERY CORNY MOVIE!

In my opinion, this movie is as corny as the book! I think it is a complete waste of time and the acting stinks! Also, there is one scene where Romeo and Juliet are in a bed together and one of Juliet's boob is shown for like 1 second. Other than that, this movie is terrible, even though it is based on Shakespeare's most popular plays. Don't bother watching it unless you like the book!

Parent of a 9, 12, 14, and 17-year-old Written bycrapples July 13, 2011

first one at least was entertaining

this is a cheesy stupid movie. and i am at the most amused it is not rated R.

Adult Written byAnnoyedteenguy May 16, 2010

bland obscene version

all right, im just going to say it. this is a horrible version of the movie. we watched it in my 9th grade english class, obviously because my teacher loved the older things. its just out of date. in the bed scene, where we see a naked romeo and a ful frontal juliet, a sub said "rewind it back". this is just perverted. the one with leonardo dicapprio is way better because there is almost no bad nudity.

Adult Written bymusicaldq April 10, 2009

One of the Best!

An incredible movie! It might be hard for a lot of kids to understand the language, but for the more mature high schoolers, this movie is pretty great!
Parent of a 3, 6, and 8-year-old Written byJessicaBurton1980 January 5, 2009
Adult Written byxiaonannan April 9, 2008
Adult Written bynintendoman2010 April 9, 2008

too many bad scenes

My English class at school watched this movie. It was pretty good except for the sex scenes they had in there. The had to show a back side of a man because they have no idea that we do not like that. They do commit suicide at the end. I don't recommend this movie for anyone under 16.