Kid reviews for Romeo and Juliet

Wonderful, but a little too mature for some kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written byrazzberrry May 5, 2011

fantasic movie, appropriate for younger ones if bed scene is skipped over

Let me just get this out to other reviewers out there:
1. some people say that it isn't right for romeo and juliet to be getting married at a young age. In the times the play was written it was considered wrong to be married any older than they were married in the movie
2. as far as the real play goes, romeo and juliet are as dramatic about the situation as they are in the movie. all of the fighting and yelling is actually not as bad as the book.
3. benvolio and the nurse are supposed to be weird characters.
4. when the film was made, it did follow the PG guidlines. times have changed.

now onto my review :)
I LOVE this movie. It captures everything from the book and more. The only thing that was added was the sex scene, but it really did happen in the play, just off-stage. The actors for romeo and juliet captured their innocence and youth beautifully. The reason I said this movie is okay for 10+ is because as long as the bed scene is skipped, there is nothing to worry about. I was in tears by the end of the movie, so if you or your kid is very emotional you may not eant to watch this movie. Everyone is being so critical of the movie, but the director stayed true to the play. for the people being critical to the dialouge of the movie, I assure you it is almost identical to the original play. Trust me,I read my script as i watched the movie ;)

Teen, 14 years old Written byCool Kidz. February 28, 2021

Good, even if I can't understand half of what they're saying.

There's some kissing romance, but that should be expected of a love story. Reviewed by Cool Kidz.
P.S My name's Julieta.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDogcat April 25, 2020

Great!

This was a great movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written bynoorn March 11, 2019
i just wish they wouldn't have shown us this in class, did become a bit awkward at times, the Leonardo DiCaprio one was better in my opinion..

Teen, 14 years old Written byzeezeebean February 12, 2019

good but sad

good. great! bits are violent, or have sex but overall, good. not as good as the book ( huge Shakespeare nerd), but overall good movie. best romeo and Juliette movie. might be too mature for kids under 12, but i was fine with it at 10.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCoolpool785 December 10, 2018

Great film adaptation is true to the original piece.

This film is a good one. It's true to the original written piece. It's worth your time if you like Romeo and Juliet. But for that matter, it's not for young kids. The opening scene is a street brawl between the two families: Montague and Capulet. This involves punches, swords, and even thrown vegetables as weapons. There is some bloodshed, but it is implied that the wounded lived. The second death was an accident (or at least that's how it was played out to be). Tybalt and Mecrutio fight, much like in the book, except it seems more like they're just messing around rather than trying to kill each other. Romeo tries to stop them from fighting but that causes Tybalt to stab Mecrutio by accident. He dies from it. Romeo goes after Tybalt and kills him for revenge. Juliet's father smacks her when she refuses to marry Paris. Then, of course, (SPOILER) Romeo and Juliet kill themselves. Paris does not die, neither does Romeo's mother. (SPOILER OVER) There is some racy stuff in the film. Romeo and Juliet have sex (not shown, but they are seen in bed together naked) Romeo's bare back and buttocks are visible and Juliet's breasts are visible for about a nano second. The Nurse cracks a racy joke. All the men wear tight spandex. Juliet is seen in her nightgown, some minor cleavage visible. Romeo and Juliet kiss. A lot. Heavy flirting. Some may find these scenes uneasy to watch since Juliet is 13 and Romeo is about 16. But then again this was normal for the time period. This is a good adaptation. Recommended to those who like the written piece.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymrekuc December 20, 2017

Great Version of this classic story

Very close to the original story and very well acted.
There are still the three fights that are depicted in the original (Opening Fight, Mercutio and Tybalt, Romeo and Tybalt) as well as the deaths of 5 main characters, as far as violence goes (obviously no guns). There is a scene where Romeo entire back is shown (head to knees) undresses, and Juilets entire back, and her topless is shown. No swearing and no alcohol is scene in the entire movie.

Teen, 16 years old Written bydiksoutforharambe September 7, 2016

SO MUCH SEX AND VIOLENT VIOLENCE AND ALSO A LOT OF BAD LANGUAGE

Teen, 15 years old Written byRandomhighschooler March 11, 2016

Don't underestimate this film

Romeo and Juliet? What's the most common thought that comes to mind? Boring. I thought the same thing when my English teacher said we would be reading it, but I didn't know how wrong I was.

The story is difficult to understand if you don't have a high enough reading level, but once you do you start to see that this is no ordinary play.

The movie is a great adaptation, best one I've ever scene. The actors put feeling behind their words, and deliver their lines perfectly. There's action, romance, humor, and tragedy beautifully put together to create an amazing movie.

Aside from a few shots of a mans backside, and a brief flash of a females breasts, both easily skippable, there really isn't much to worry about. I'd recommend this to anyone who can understand it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKids Media USA June 17, 2015

Teaches you how a couple works

Good movie! There's a couple suicide attempts, and also some nudity, and Romeo said "s**t" once (though most of the viewers wouldn't hear it). I mean it's a great movie that mature 9-10-11 and 12 year olds and up could handle. 4.5/5 stars for such a romantic, dramatic classic!

Kid, 12 years old February 16, 2014

Very, very sad. :'(

I saw this movie when I was 9, with my mom. We both seemed to enjoy it, the ending was very sad, though. Well, at least we didn't cry. But then I watched it again and I just couldn't stop my eyes from tearing at the end. It was impossible to stop the crying!

Anywayz, there is violence, but not that graphic. Only swords (rarely daggers/knives) are used in fights.

There is one brief male nudity, but not frontal, only backside. Lasts for about a minute, I don't know. We also see a young woman naked in bed, but she is mostly covered by a blanket, and her breasts were mostly covered by her hair, but then we see her nipple for less than one second, trust me. This implies they had sex last night.

Adults drink alcohol.

Kid, 12 years old November 6, 2013

Should be okay with 11 and up.

I saw this when I was 9 and it wasn't that bad. It had male back nudity (full) and one female nudity for LESS than a second. There is some violence, hardly any blood. Just in one scene. However, this is very sad at the end. I cry everytime I watch this movie. Should be okay with 11 and up.

Teen, 15 years old Written byJennypenny123 April 12, 2013

I LOVE this movie!

I LOVED the movie but I haven't seen the play yet. Romeo and Juliet is a story about to teens that fall in love but they cannot be together because they are from two different households, The Capulets and the Montague's, they despise each other and constantly get in fights, so Romeo and Juliet get married without their families knowing. Things go wrong and some people die, Juliet is forced to marry a prince that her father has arranged. Juliet pretends to kill herself so that her and Romeo can be together. Romeo finds out that she is dead but he did not know that she was pretending to be dead so he ends up killing himself and when Juliet wakes up she notices that Romeo is dead and she stabs herself and they both die, Which makes both sides of the family sad realize they need to stop bickering and get along. I would say the movie is for mature teens that wouldn't call the movie dumb just because they killed them selves at the end.

Kid, 9 years old August 24, 2012

Romeo and juliet is a wonderful movie for 13+

a bed scene with a glimpse of breasts and a few glimpses of rear male nudity. Violence happens three or four times total, but is hardly ever graphic(only graphic when people are stabbed). Great movie.

Teen, 14 years old Written bystripey May 6, 2012

Romeo and Juliet

there is a value to this movie it is a must watch....but deffiatley watch the modern one

Teen, 14 years old Written byLunaLovegood13 March 21, 2012

ROMEO AND JULIET

"Romeo & Juliet" is the classic love story that the entire world has come to adore. Romeo and Juliet are innocent- each have their character flaws and make bad decisions, but are devoted to each other, opting for love instead of romance. Benvolio and Friar Lawrence also are good role models that promote peace. The message itself is not that hate causes misery, but that love is more valuable then hate, and that peace is important.

Kid, 12 years old March 30, 2011

AWESOME

This is the best movie ever! My drama instructor told me and kai to watch it (boo) becuase he thought it would help us realize the strory behind westside story (Im maria hes tony) It was cool to see young actors and it was an over-all good movie.

Teen, 14 years old Written by99IsMyLuckyNumber March 5, 2011
i watched this after reading the book, and i simply loved it. the 1996 version is simply an INSULT. This one, with perfect actors and actresses, shows the beauty of romance and loyalty. So what if Juliet took her life? It was because here love and loyalty to Romeo was that good, same for Romeo. The only concern i gave is the naked backside and the breasts and passionate kissing, but ignore those if your mature enough.

Teen, 17 years old Written byZezeroth April 13, 2010

good

It's ayt

Kid, 11 years old November 26, 2009
I love Romieo and Juliet it is my fave movie in the world , but it does have alot of sexual behavior in it ,but it still is a wonderful movie!!!!!!!