Parent reviews for Ron's Gone Wrong

Animated adventure explores friendship, tech use, bullying.

Adult Written byhephiroth December 16, 2021

A good concept with a number of concerning choices

While j like the overall idea of this movie, there are some phrases I was surprised and concerned to see in a kids’ movie.

Barney, the main character, describes having to endure “recess hell” and later says, “Kill me now” out of embarrassment. Then there is a whole storyline about the robot bullying and hitting a kid who tries to bully the main character.

Then the robot mistakenly tries to make friends and brings “cheap alcohol” to school, along with two older men and a stolen baby. They allude to one of the men having spit (or worse?) on a photo of the main character, a middle-school-aged boy.

Like, how did no one find any of these things objectionable during production? These would have been fairly easy things to make more appropriate.
Parent of a 9-year-old Written byQuinnyB November 6, 2021

So disappointing... don't waste your brain cells

This movie was so disturbing to me as a parent and I'm very liberal. There is no redeeming quality to this movie or beneficial message here. It only reinforces the notion that social media doesn't lead to good things (except hopefully this post persuading others not to watch this movie) and when are we going to learn that it's not OK for kids to be so dependent on devices. It is normal in the movie for kids to have robots follow them around at school (not for school related learning) but to be constantly connected to social media, have an all access pass to bully other kids, play video games and spend every free minute of their lives commenting on other's instead of having genuine relationships and experiencing real life. I was really hoping at the end for the movie to redeem itself and offer a beneficial lesson, or at least get rid of the robots, which basically were moving iphones, but no such luck. The viewer watches the modern day outcast kid, Barney, go through the classic theme of struggling to fit in at school by not having friends, getting bullied, having parental figures that are not in touch with his reality, pretending he's OK all the while. At the end you're hoping for that big, in your face message to the kids watching that you're better off without all this noise of social media, apps, likes/dislikes, having others track your every move, but it falls way short of that. Somehow the robots magically make everything all better and make it easier for people to be friends that normally wouldnt be. It made no sense to me. I left the theater wanting to move to a remote island to shield my kids from the impending talk of why can't I have a phone, everyone else has one. So sad we wasted our day off from school watching this junk instead of taking a hike. One last comment... again I'm not super conservative, but why does a kids movie have to use the word Hell twice? Next time writers, please use your device's thesaurus to come up with something more creative.

Adult Written byljzweber October 22, 2021

Hilarious - Best movie we've seen in a long time!

We all laughed throughout the whole movie! Silly and exciting. Highly predictable plot, but a nice message overall. There wasn't any part about this movie that made us raise our eyebrows or feel the need to explain things to our kids. The elements of bullying and peril were not overdone, and the poop jokes were very elementary and not crass. Highlight was hearing Zach Galifianakis play the voice of the robot friend. He cracked us up. We were still laughing on our ride home. Fun family movie!

Adult Written byMandy27 December 4, 2021

Awesome movie

To all of the previous negative comments Shame on you people ! I loved this film and so do my 3 kids who range from 3, 7 and 12. I felt it taught children about living in this day and age in our society, to know we can’t always depend on electronics. Thought it had a very great message and showed the kids that true friendship is not online but in person and we all need to take note of that. Loved this film it was cute, funny and really eye opening :)

Adult Written byChels91 December 19, 2021

Inappropriate

This isn’t a family fun movie that we will be watching over and over again. After screening it, I won’t even allow my 5 year old to watch it. Bathroom jokes, insults/bullying and all of that aside, it was just a bad movie. It had funny moments, but it really felt like it was trying to hard. The ending was unnecessary. Why would the tech guy Mark make the choice he did? “Wow you’re unique” **insert spoiler** Just nope. Forgettable movie.

Adult Written byntcplanters December 6, 2021

Great Family Movie!

There are not many true family movies in our day, but this is one of them.

Messages: True friendship, the dangers of social media (and private data recording), and the downfalls of public school

Violence: Cartoon violence. Nothing too dark for children.

Sex: None

Swearing: There are a few uses of *hell*, but that is all

Consumerism: The movie is a giant parody on "what if Apple takes over the world," so there is that. If you don't have a sense of humor about it, then you will not enjoy this movie.

Drinking, drugs, etc.: A few funny moments, but no promotion.

All-in-all, this is a movie that we would watch again. It had its touching and amusing moments, while teaching good lessons without being overtly cheesy. It is also very relevant for our day in dealing with the addiction of children to social media, and the corporations pushing it.

Parent Written byJulie W. December 20, 2021

When my 15 year old son wants me to watch a movie, I watch the movie!

I didn't know what to expect, but when my 15 year old son wants me to watch a movie, I watch the movie! Very pleasantly surprised and may have shed a tear or two. Messages about friendship and navigating the social media/technology landscape were excellent.

Adult Written byChrisdye9832 October 23, 2021

Not what the previews promised but still good

Ok so this is catagorised as a comedy a kid's comedy but still yet a comedy well it's not that funny so don't go into the theater expecting to laugh much it's got a good message about staying true to yourself even when others don't like it

Parent of a 6-year-old Written byJonathan F. January 11, 2022

Interesting movie for kids about technology

Good family movie, slightly long than expected.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byKenyatta S. December 31, 2021

Good Message for the new tech enthusiasts

This movie's storyline resonated with my daughter (7) and adults because it captures the power of technology and its faults. Additionally genuine friendship takes center stage as this new technology boasts its ability to connect people with people when in fact it does a very good job of disengaging them.

I think that this movie is perfect for the 7 and up crowd who are beginning to form friendships while becoming more self-aware in the age of peer pressure.

Definitely addresses the needs vs wants and have and have nots issues to that a lot of families find themselves riddled with as technology becomes more dynamic and more accessible to our benefit and detriment.

Good for discussions about feelings, self-esteem, tech etiquette, friendship, bullying, and consumerism.

Adult Written bySamm.eeee December 30, 2021

Inappropriate content

I was enjoying this movie somewhat however there were quote a few inappropriate moments.
My particular grievances were Ron showing a picture of Barney as a toddler sitting on his potty and saying so and so liked this picture and did something else to it, showing an obvious white something on the photo. When are these types of jokes EVER ok? Also, stating so and so like cheap alcohol and bringing it to school. Savannah calling Barney a real freak, just because he doesn't fit in or have the latest technology. Large amount of bullying. Not a fan overall.

Adult Written byichigo2003 December 29, 2021

Great for families to watch together!

We watched this with our 6, 8, and 11 year old kids and they all loved it! It's really hard to find movies that they all enjoy and this one hit the mark with the bonus of being one that my husband and I both liked as well. Lots of laugh out loud moments and a great movie night choice.
Adult Written byGonefishcaking December 28, 2021

Great amount of relevant humor for all ages.

I laughed at this just as much as my kids did. It’s like all your “favorite” people and stories of the tech world rolled into one. It is a great reminder of how my kids visualize and understand the tech world.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byMarc M. December 27, 2021

Kids of social media age should see this

This is as much a fun movie as it is a cautionary tale. I'll try to be careful not to spoil anything. It parallels the real life popularity of social media (with lightly veiled references to Instagram and Facebook, with an Apple "hip" vibe), correctly highlighting the good and the bad of kids sharing their lives with strangers online. In the wrong hands, social media can be very bad, and the film illustrates this very well. Controlling private information posted is a serious responsibility, with consequences for our heros when things didn't go the way they expected. The film contains good role models, light cartoon violence but is quick to point out that violence is bad, and the protagonists/heros ultimately win out with the help of friends.

Although marketing of this film was poor, it deserves high praise. Recommended for preteens and up.

Adult Written byLebron12James3 December 26, 2021

Curious Geogre goes to Jurassic Park

Adult Written byRachel M. December 21, 2021

Fun movie with important conversation starters for families

The movie covers very important topics such as family history, losing a parent, struggles in middle school, social media use, cliques, making friends, bullying, isolation, and running away from home.

One of the main points that I enjoyed was the focus of the main character learning that friendship isn't all about him and that it is a two way street. The movie draws this together with the use of the robots and social media where all the other kids are focused on what they are getting and what they want.

I think the suggested questions for after movie conversation were helpful and we did use them.

There were many lol moments in the movie.

Adult Written byT.Aq December 18, 2021

Amazing film!

My 2, 4 and 10 year old love this film. We have watched it numerous times and they laugh out loud every time. It is the first film my four year old has sat through and watched!

Adult Written byTalhaamin December 6, 2021

Great Movie

Adult Written byIrizarry4ed November 1, 2021

Great messages about screen time and friendship

I watched this with my eight year old nephew and both of us loved it. It’s a great vehicle for the kind of conversations kids should be having today, with tons of laughs and heart to boot. Kiddo and I are still singing the tiki tiki taka tiki tiki tiki taka!

The use of “hell” in Barney’s head was a little alarming, but a good way to emphasize that sometimes we might think things that we don’t have to share out loud.

Also, this website says there’s little diversity in the movie, but the cast of kids and employees in the company are very diverse. The movie also starts off making Barney seemed ashamed of his quirky culture but ends up with him and his friends placing a lot of value on it.

Adult Written bycutiepie2021 October 31, 2021

Ending not age appropriate

Like the writers went haywire on trying to have an unique ending, but actually copied from nowadays movies' endings.
Too typical of American movies - very predictable.
The only part that was good about this movie is when Barney recognizes friendship is a 2-way relationship.
Not funny when the animation of Andrew is a look alike to Steve Job - not funny at all; you don't mock someone who cannot fight back.