All parent member reviews for Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Parent of a 3 year old Written byI Must Say December 16, 2010

Love the movie, but really it's full of horrible messages and scary scenes

Let me start by saying this was a childhood favorite of mine, my kids love it, and we watch it all the time. That said, the bumble is terrifying, as is the parental separation and peril. The sexist language is ridiculous. Even Santa bullies Rudolph. We make this into some warm-and-fuzzy story, but really it's a story showing that if you're a misfit you will not be valued until you can be exploited for your difference - at which time you're just valued for that usefulness and not just for being you. Love the movie for sentimental reasons, but feel like a bad mom every time I watch it and cringe!
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written byCeltic1962 April 21, 2011

My favorite Christmas special growing up and my family and I still love it. Only concern is that very small children might be a bit frightened by the abominable snowman :)
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written bymhall45 January 13, 2009

too scary for 4 yr old

My 4 1/2 year old was terrified of the snow monster. I left the room for a bit while he was watching and came back to him huddling under the couch sobbing from fright. He is on the sensitive side, but I think this is better for older children.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byleftbankhook January 1, 2012

Even SANTA is a mean person in this movie!

I hadn't seen this movie since I was a child. There were a few sexist comments (which may not have been considered sexist back when it was made, but...) Mostly, I couldn't believe how mean everyone was to Rudoph. Rudolph's dad--and even SANTA were a bunch of jerks! It's one thing to talk about his peers being mean, but this was crazy!
Parent of an infant and 3 year old Written byMimi37 June 28, 2010

Dated but charming overall

I think different editions of the classic movie may have been edited slightly differently -- ours has a couple of moments that I find troubling in terms of gender issues (although I agree with the editors' review in terms of the positive portrayal of dealing with fitting in). E.g., Rudolph's mom and girlfriend Clarice want to help Rudolph's dad search, and the dad says something like, "No! This is man's work!" And during takeoff practice, only the boy reindeer get to practice flying, while the girl reindeer stand off to the side and giggle/blush/flirt. That said, it's very subtle, and I still let my daughter watch it. I just make sure to point out and talk about those issues now and then. As with many kids, she found the snow monster scary at first (but not too bad) and she was troubled/puzzled about why the boss elf was "so mean" -- more conversation fodder. It's one of my old favorites, and now one of hers too. In fact, she loves it so much, we watch it all year round...
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byJamie and James March 15, 2010

Perfect for kindergardeners!

Well, every Christmas my 5-year-old, Jamie, loves this more than anything. She even has the book! Anyway, she still has a lot of questions in this movie, like Rudolph growing up, the snow monster(well that was a little scary too) but other than that, she loves it! She memorized the book because she loves the story.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bykristin1234 December 29, 2008

Scared my 3 year 3 month daughter

The monster in the movie scared my 3 year old. Though I explained things to her as we went along, and kept telling her in the monster was really nice in the end, that end part is so short that it really didn't make a difference. She talked about the monster for close to a week. I regretted letting her watch it -- it had been so long since I had seen it I had forgotten the whole story line. I probably won't let her see it again until she's 5.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian May 8, 2015

A True Christmas Classic That Has Stood the Test of Time

Rankin-Bass' classic version of the tale of the little red-nosed reindeer is as charming as ever. The stop-motion animation is a bit jerky but brings to mind a simpler time when not everything had to be computerized to satisfy kids. Rudolph, Hermie, and the rest of the cast are lovable and learn some valuable lessons about their intrinsic value, facing your problems, and more. The Abominable Snowman is scary for young kids at first--his roar alone is disconcerting. It's also worth noting that everyone in Rudolph's community, even his dad, disparage his red nose and doubt he has real abilities. Hermie is maligned and disciplined for wanting to be anything other than a toymaker. Some of Rudolph's dad's remarks could be considered emotionally abusive. But even these elements provide a lot of good discussion fodder, especially for kids who've ever felt like outcasts (and what kid hasn't)? Introduce your kids as soon as possible.
Adult Written byMidnighthaze94 July 31, 2015

Innocent and Inspiring Story

I love rudolph as much as I love the grinch, this movie portrays the characters who mock rudolph in a negative light, bashing the shallow nature of their attitudes towards him. It celebrates unique, different, nonconforming qualities/abilities in others, (showing that rudolph can help in a way that the other reindeer can't at the end.) As for the people saying this movie is sexist, you've got to be kidding, right? All because rudolph's dad tells the mom she can't go look for rudolph because it's Man's work? First off, this movie was released in 1964, when no one was offended by petty things like they are now. Secondly, when he says that, he's not meaning, "I'm your superior," he means, "this is dangerous, life threatening work so I will sacrifice and risk it but I want you to be safe." That's what you should be teaching your kids, that rudolph's dad loved the mom so he wanted her safe. It is beyond me how anyone could possibly be bothered by that. I think that kids 2 and above should be just fine with this movie as long as they are with someone who can be of comfort if the snow monster scares them. :)
Adult Written byLowe's man December 16, 2013

essential viewing

The message is to just be yourself, and eventually others will accept you for who you are. It also gives the message that we need not all be the same. Another message is that everyone has a place, just as Rudolph did. It was because of his nose, after all, that Santa was able to deliver his presents on Christmas Eve. Meanwhile, The Abominable Snow Monster was reformed as soon as Yukon Cornelius gave him a job, proving that giving people a job is a great way to reform them. Moreover, when Hermey decided that he wanted to be a dentist, viewers are told that they should do what's in their heart, not what others expect them to do. Many great messages.
Adult Written byHarry Potter 1 June 9, 2013

Rudoplh the Red Nosed Reindeer is the BEST Christmas special

While I gave "Frosty the Snowman." 5 stars and feel it deserved it,Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is a classic to behold and EASILY the best of the Christmas specials of the 1960's. A good place to start is Rudolph himself. Rudolph is wonderfully voiced by Billie May Richards and is an easy character to root for right from the start. We see a wonderful character progression from Rudolph being mistreated by everyone in Christmastown to him being on the run to him growing older and realizing he has to face his troubles rather than run from them and that he must go home to the big moment where Santa says "Rudolph with your nose so bright won't you guide my sleigh tonight." Rudolph's journey is just fantastic. What the producers have also done with this show is expanded on the misfit theme and added other characters not in the song to obtain is reasonable length show. There's a misfit elf and a wonderful collection of "misfit toys" on the Island of Misfit toys. I especially like the train with square wheels on its caboose. The idea for the misfit toys was bloody brilliant! And then there's the music. All the music throughout this show is wonderful. But I especially love "Holly Jolly Christmas" and "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" Not many people know that "Holly Jolly Christmas" was originally written for the purpose of being included in this show and it's still one of the best Christmas songs there is. And Burl Ives's performance of "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" is far superior to the Gene Autry version of the song. Parents should be aware that this show includes scenes of an "abominable snow monster that could be scary for little kids and a scene in which a character is "believed" to a goner. (He turns up fine later.) Toddlers and preschoolers might be better off skipping it if easily scared. All kids in kindergarten or older should be able to cope with Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Everything about Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is wonderful and classic. I watch this show 2-3 times every December,including every Christmas Eve night. And last November I purchased the mp3 Versions of Burl Ives Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and 3 mp3 versions of Holly Jolly Christmas,including Burl Ives. Rudolph the Red Nosed is a timeless and classic Christmas special that can't be anything but 5 stars. :) Sex/sexuality: None at all. Language: Not an issue: No profanity and no insult words. Drugs,alcohol,and tobacco: None at all. Emotional intensity: 1 out of 5. One sad scene where it is "believed" that Ucon Cornelius has died by going off the cliff. He turns up later. Violence: 1 out of 5. The snow monster could be scary for little kids. Absolutely on for: Kindergarteners and older. Iffy for toddlers and preschoolers because of the snow monster. Positive Role Models. Hermy and Yukon are good models because they are true to themselves and who they are throughout the movie. Staying true to himself is a lesson Rudolph has to learn but he ultimately does. Positive messages: Being true to oneself. Accepting others for who they are despite differences. That is a lesson many characters learn throughout he movie. Is it a once or twice movie,a several times or a many times movie?: A many times movie :)
Parent Written byrmegalos December 4, 2012

Rudolph is a little scary for young 'uns

I just wanted to add that this should maybe have one dot for scariness - the abominable snow monster is fairly scary for children under a certain age, and/or for those that maybe don't watch any or hardly any tv....
Parent Written byjumboooo November 14, 2012

hi

Adult Written bykeerstn November 25, 2011

NOT mild peril

The 'mild peril' referred to here includes a very VERY scary looking monster, who not only tries to eat the main characters but forces one of them to fall to a supposed death over a cliff. This is NOT for little ones. My kids were both 6 before they were able to get through it without running from the room crying. PLEASE wait - then watch it every year after! LOVE this movie, but definitely not for those kids who are even slightly afraid.
Parent of a 2, 4, and 4 year old Written byFowlerFan May 14, 2011

Bumbles Bounce!

Our kids love it. The snow monster is a little scary, but after a few viewings the kids don't even flinch.
Parent of a 4, 4, and 7 year old Written bymagasalee March 18, 2011

Adult Written byAndrew Haxley February 22, 2011

Perfect Christmas Movie!!!!

Loved It Since I Saw It And It Was A Christmas Tale About Rudolph! Gave Me Positive Messages That Being A Misfit And Wanting To Fit In Was That You Had To Be In Numbers And Just Get The Support Of Other Misfits! And The Bumble Snowmonster In This Scene Tried To Hurt Clarice But Rudolph Stopped Him And He Got Attacked But Survived And He Went To Santa's Workshop And Was Brave And Showed Everyone That Being A Misfit Worked For Him And He Guided Santa's Sleigh A Great Tale And A Nice Storyline About How Rudolph Changed Christmas! And No Profanity But Still A Fun Movie To Rent And Watch With Family's Together For Christmas!
Parent of a 3 year old Written bys-bear December 16, 2010

We watched the original, unedited movie and wished we hadn't. Snow monster scared my three year old, especially when it tried to eat the reindeer. Also, incredibly sexist movie and full of bullying.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bykategvt December 6, 2010

Not worth the time...read the book!

Was very disapointed in this movie...no warning about a very scary snow monster...not good for sensitive kids. Plus, the positive message seemed so watered down it was hard for 5 yo to understand. Not worth the time!
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 26, 2010

Christmas Classic that everyone should see.