All parent member reviews for Rushmore

Adult Written bysterlingandsammy January 30, 2015

Fantastic Movie! earns its R rating through the F word

I loved this movie and I'm very happy I watched it. I felt that it was inspiring, interesting, and creative. The only reason this movie is rated R is because of the F word. There is childish mention of hand jobs (in a very school boyish, forest gump, kinda way) and at the end of the movie theres a flash of photographs of naked women from a magazine, and it pans out. You definitely can see them clearly but only for about 2 seconds. The F word is used around 10 times, again in a school boyish kind of way, only once is it said in a serious, vulgar way and its by a teacher. I hope this helps! Thanks!
Parent Written byTrish Barnes June 26, 2012

Rushmore is tender-hearted, even though the kids swear

This is a strange little movie with a lot of soul. I like that Wes Anderson gives young people -- kids included -- fuller characterizations than most filmmakers do. The positive message is forgiveness between friends, and it's reinforced a few times in the movie. The positive role model is Max Fischer's father, who is completely supportive and accepting of Max no matter what. Max himself is a positive role model, because he shares his talents unselfconsciously with those around him. He is creative, courageous and involved. We get to see the inner motivations of several characters, their vulnerabilities and their dreams. There is an awkward moment of truth between Max and Miss Cross -- well, a few awkward moments -- but they are instructive. This movie has a lot of compassion for its characters, and no one gets humiliated or hurt in a cheap way. The reckless behavior is so outlandish, so 'designed', that it's not the sort to be copied by teens.
Adult Written bySpam M. July 29, 2016

Hilarious but Surprisingly Inappropriate.

Let me start out by saying this is definitely one of Wes Andserson's best works, but not all will find it funny it has a much more subtle humor than say, Austin Powers and for most younger viewers it will most likely be quite boring. That being said it is a terrific movie and I highly recommend it. A few things parents parents should know is that hand-jobs are mentioned just about around every five seconds but it's really just used because that's most like a recurring thought in a fifteen year old's mind, that being said it's not ever described and none of the characters actually ever actually have sex except for one instance where it is inconspicuously implied. There is a part where the main character friend makes up some lies that say two people "Give each other hand-jobs" but the audience already knows it's a fabrication. There is plenty of cursing, liberal uses of f**k, s**t, ass, bitch and one use of c***k sucker which he says in a ridiculous burst of anger. I suggest watching Fantastic Mr.Fox with younger audience members a few years prior to this. All in all it's a classic and timelessly funny movie.
Educator Written byHenley Admin March 25, 2014

After research and recall, NOT with my Teenagers

I love this movie, but haven't watched it in a long time. Recently, I was going to watch it with them, but after checking this site and general recall, why put my self through that discomfort. Thanks CSM
Parent of a 15 year old Written bylaxmonkey September 11, 2010

worth the watching

love it.... wes anderson is brilliant in his construction of characters and a genius at filming a movie that makes you think