All parent member reviews for Samantha: An American Girl Holiday

Adult Written byLM April 9, 2008

Charming movie with important message

This is a great movie to watch with your daughters. It deals with a lot of social issues, death of parents, rich vs. poor, helping the less fortunate. It also introduces alot of history, showing life in the early 1900's.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian May 2, 2015

A Perfect Holiday Flick for You and Your American Girl

I grew up reading the American Girls Collection and playing with the dolls. Therefore, even though I was an adult when this movie came out, I had to see it and am glad I did. Little AnnaSophia Robb perfectly captures the spirit of Samantha, an independent girl with a huge heart and high hopes for the future. Samantha balances strong feelings and new ideas with love and respect for her family. She is no respecter of class systems, befriending a servant girl named Nellie and reaching out to help Nellie's family at personal risk. Samantha is an orphan, but her parental substitutes--a grandmother, uncle, and aunt--are all positive role models for her. Uncle Gard and Aunt Cornelia embrace values that were liberal for the 1904 setting and might be considered unrealistic, but in doing so, they drive home valuable lessons about how to treat others and respond to differences of opinion. There are some minor caveats. Grandmary has a more traditional 1904 viewpoint that may be offensive or confusing to young viewers. On a clearer note, the maltreatment of children working in a factory is shown. At one point, Nellie and her little sisters are sent to an orphanage, where they are separated and treated like prisoners. The orphanage matron is cruel and misappropriates donations for her own use. Samantha is sometimes disobedient toward adults; while this makes sense in context, it bears discussing.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byfastraxsg July 16, 2011

Good medicine

I think it is educational because Samantha learns about how cruel factories are and the progress in america. It has good messages how you should always speak the truth and care about others. And Samantha is a very good role model on how she cares for every one and helps the needy.
Adult Written bylunadf April 9, 2008

Very Well Done

My 7 year old daughter loves American Girl, and these movies are exactly what I want her watching. Even though she has suffered loss, the young girl in the story has to come to grips with her somewhat sheltered life when she befriends a family that is very poor. When the children of the other family are sent to work in a sweatshop, she must take a stand and a risk, not only to help her friends, but to do what is right. All of the AG movies teach young girls to be positive and strong without being rebellious and arrogant.
Adult Written bymeg82003 April 9, 2008