All parent member reviews for Saving Mr. Banks

Parent of a 8, 11, and 13 year old Written byKindness Girl December 22, 2013

NOT FOR CHILDREN!

I think the TV ads for this movie are incredibly misleading and I think it is unfortunate that Disney is pushing the movie on the Disney channel, which is watched by children. I usually do much more research when I take children to the movies, but I did not with this one and I regret it. I would not take any child under 14 to this movie. I imagine that by the time children are 16, they would already be exposed to the troubling themes in the movie -- alcoholism, death by alcohol, attempted suicide, family dysfunction... As an adult, I found the movie interesting, but I am telling everyone I know that it is not for children. Very deceptive advertising. Shame on you, Disney!
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byMovie Mama C December 18, 2013

Parent Written byAdam Wolfe December 30, 2013

This movie should be rated G

There is no reason that this movie should be rated PG-13. I have three kids under the age of 8 and I would allow all of them to see this movie. I can't remember hearing any curse words, there is absolutely no violence, nor sex of any kind. (Side note: The MPAA is becoming less and less trustworthy, some rated R movies such as "The Wolf Of Wall Street" should have been given an NC-17 rating.) Yes, the dad coughs up blood on his napkin. ooooohhhh! Blood? Your babies saw blood when they were born!! The dad drinks alcohol, and the movie does not glorify it at all. It does the opposite; if anything, it would deter one from drinking. Kids see this much blood when they get a boo boo, or when they have a bloody nose! Who cares?!! This movie should be rated G. I am just upset with the MPAA. I'm sorry, I'm not biased, I am just right! Canadian provinces have given this movie anywhere from G to PG. The US is being overrun with censorship.
Parent Written byMommyLogic December 28, 2013

Fantastic Movie... but definitly NOT for kids.

This movie was very good and I suspect will make some of the Academy Award nominations. Its the story behind how Walt Disney came to create the Mary Poppins movie based on the book by PL Travers. Viewers will learn where the story came from along with some of the real people behind the characters we've come to know and love through the Disney version. However, this is not for kids. The story switches back and forth from the 60's to the author's childhood showcasing her personal battles with forgiveness and her fathers abuse of alcohol. There are several very dark and sad adult concepts in this film which are not appropriate for children. A very good film, and worthy of a date-night...just make sure you get a sitter for this one.
Adult Written bywonder dove December 27, 2013

Delightful

I watched Saving Mr. Banks not really expecting too much and it turned out to be a wonderful, engaging film. Emma Thompson was perfect for the role of P.L. Travers and Tom Hanks as Walt Disney was incredible, and I have to say one of the best performances by Colin Farrell playing Travers' troubled father. Loved the cast and the music, Mary Poppins reminds me of my childhood. I can see why some viewers were a bit disappointed with the story, because it does go back and forth from a quirky sweet comedy to a sad serious drama throughout the whole film and the flashbacks that explain Travers' childhood in Australia may be scary and/or upsetting to some, however I think it was completely necessary because it makes you understand Travers' as a person and her extremely close bond with her father. The language is very mild with d@mn used twice and hell twice. Violence includes an alcoholic father who drinks to the point of death, we see him chug alcohol in a couple scenes, some arguments, a drunk man falls off a stage on his back and starts laughing, a man coughs up blood frequently and is bedridden, a mans dead body is seen in flashbacks, a woman attempts suicide by drowning herself but is saved. Sexual content just has a married couple kissing in one scene. We learn that Walt is a smoker though he never smokes on-screen, alcohol is consumed with an intoxicated character throughout, a quick bar scene with drinkers/smokers, Walt has a drink of whisky. Is it OK for kids? To be honest, I don't think kids aged 11 and under would be interested as it touches on quite a few strong themes and may also be boring for kids. I do think it's appropriate for 12 and up who are interested!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byRad-Dad December 29, 2013

Great acting and story but some inaccuracies.

Very interesting movie seeing the back story on how Mary Poppins came to be on Disney. My older daughter (22) and I both enjoyed it and it was very well acted by Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson. But upon doing some after movie research on PL Travers. Not entirely accurate and much was left out in this Disney version of how it came to be. The end also showing Travers crying with presumed tears of joy was according to articles tears of disappointment. She did not like the movie because Walt betrayed her and put animation sequences into the movie. Some of the flashback sequences were disturbing showing the struggle of her father with Alcoholism and her mother with depression. Definitely not an appropriate movie for Children. Teens an older on this one for sure. We still both give it 2 thumbs up regardless. Very well acted and it makes you want to do more research on PL Travers.
Educator and Parent Written byjen589 January 10, 2014

Brilliant! Oscar nominations to come for sure. (Just not a movie for the kids, like you might expect a movie about Mary Poppins to be.)

This is a brilliant movie. It was definitely not what I expected it to be. I had seen several versions of the trailer before going and had been following the lead up to it closely, via social media sites. Mary Poppins has been a treasured favourite in my house. I have also seen the stage show, which I knew to be slightly more like the book version of the story than the movie. However, I was not prepared for the dark and sad side of this movie. I was really glad that I had not taken my children (the eldest two of whom are 8 and 9 years old.) As mentioned in other comments here, the alcoholism, attempted suicide and difficult childhood are obvious and consistent throughout the movie. They are not subtle in any way. I cried several times throughout the movie, to the point of actual sobbing on a couple of occasions. The performances though are BRILLIANT! Emma Thompson will no doubt be nominated for an Oscar for this performance and should she win, be thoroughly deserved. Tom Hanks is wonderful, as are Colin Farrell, Ruth Wilson, Bradley Whitford and Paul Giamatti. Annie Rose Buckley is absolutely delightful in the role of the young PL Travers, and wonderful to see a young Australian actress play this part so beautifully. As also mentioned in other comments, the flashbacks to PL Travers childhood are frequent and occur far more than I'd expected. However I think that really helps you understand the total notion of why she was like she was as an adult and why parting with the rights to the movie were just so difficult for her. And even though she was a stern, grumpy type of woman the entirety, I was glad to see that she wasn't given the cliched Hollywood take. You certainly learn to empathise with her without necessarily coming to like her, which I think is so cleverly done. Be sure to stay to the end of the credits where you hear recordings of the original PL Travers and you can see just how amazingly Emma Thompson (and the writers) portray her. A masterpiece movie. Thoroughly recommend it. (Just not for the kids.)
Educator and Parent Written byAlison W. December 22, 2013

The woman behind Mary Poppins

This brilliant film tells two stories: one is about how a person's childhood shapes the person they become; the other is about an artist's reluctance to let go of her creation. P.L. Travers used her imagination to turn childhood loss into something magical -- the stern but capable Mary Poppins, who possesses some surprising powers -- and she didn't want to sell her creation to Walt Disney. The story alternates between Travers's struggles with Disney and his team of writers and her memories of her beloved, but alcoholic, father and her childhood in Australia. The writing and acting make this film compelling for anyone interested in understanding how an artist transforms her experience into art. While some children may find the movie upsetting, or simply boring, my 11-year-old son loved it.
Parent Written byMummy Roo January 20, 2014

Fabulous and graciously presented for older Children.

What a fabulous movie. A great role model in Walt Disney. Tom Hanks did another amazing job...again! Emma Thompson...what can I say? She did a wonderful job as the picky, cantankerous cow of an author. A really great story. My "sensitive" 11 yr old loved it. I highly recommend it. YES, there is alcoholism. YES, there is an attempted suicide by the authors mother, but it is dealt with in such a heartfelt and sensitive manner that my daughter wash't upset by it. She actually understood the characters more, she empathised with them in their distress. PLEASE, PLEASE do your children a favour and allow them to watch this. Believe me, I am an incredibly choosey Mum when it comes to movie content, but this movie has an amazingly gracious way of presenting human frailty and human generosity and determination. Stay for the end credits to listen to the real P.L. Travers. Emma Thomson didn't exaggerate, lol.
Educator Written byfilmmaster93 March 23, 2014

Adult Written bygbsfan March 16, 2014

Good movie, but not younger kids

It's a good movie and it has both comedic and dramatic content. However, it gets a bit slow in the middle and some children (and adults) may get bored, but I would still recommend the movie. There some drinking and drunkness in the movie, but it is not glorified. Though the movie may not be a great choice for some younger children, it's a good movie for teenagers, adults and some preteens.
Educator and Parent Written bySgt. Slaughter January 16, 2014

Tom and Emma! What were you thinking?

The movie was a depressing and sad portrayal of a self centered, dysfunctional, unpleasant curmudgeon who lived her life solely for herself. Unable to move beyond her childhood, she made life miserable for those who unfortunately found themselves in her path. It will ruin Mary Poppins, the novel and the delightful movie for all who view it.
Adult Written byHTanner December 28, 2013

For Mature Audiences Only

I am a writer. This movie was beautifully crafted and well acted. I took my 10 year old son - he's very emotionally mature and handled it well, but my 8 year old would not have handled it well. We had good discussions about coming to terms with people disappointing your expectations of them as you realize they are flawed just like you. The way they handled Travers was very much how a writer would react because when you create fiction, you are pouring your soul onto a page. You are exposing yourself for people and Disney wanting to cartoon-ify your soul could be upsetting. But they handled Disney and his motivations well, too. Kids really should be mature enough to understand life is not perfect, to handle watching people who have depression and not being disturbed by it, and to understand that life is more than just a single layer. Really not a movie for kids younger than 10, and I would say between 10-13 only if they are intuitive and can handle emotionally heavy concepts on an intellectual level. The movie could be disturbing for younger viewers. It has the Disney name, but do not mistake that for light and fluffy family friendly fare. This is an incredible and wonderful movie - - but a very, very mature one.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byCrigs88 January 1, 2014

Save your own bank.

Not the lighthearted movie portrayed by the trailers. This movie is mostly dark, depressing and sometimes disturbing but with good performances and moments of levity.
Adult Written byJEDI micah January 18, 2014

Tom Hanks makes a good Walt Disney!

This is a good movie! I actually learned some things about the making of Marry Poppins that I never knew. The acting is good, and the music is also nice too. It's such a treat to see how a major movie company can show their creations into making!
Adult Written byLowe's man March 31, 2015

Reinforces what adolescents are studying, will be studying, or have studied in school.

While this movie alternated between silly and serious, it was necessary in order to show viewers why Walt Disney had such a hard time keeping the promise he made to his daughter- to turn her favorite childhood story, Mary Poppins, into a movie- and what got the one obstacle- the author of Mary Poppins- to finally relent. This movie shows that it's sometimes just one person who prevents dreams from becoming a reality, something you occasionally hear about in the news. The themes discussed in this movie- copyrights, alcoholism, suicide- aren't things that adolescents haven't already heard about, and are things that they will be studying in school. This movie is a way for them to see that those things sometimes do happen in real life. After all, this was based on a true story.
Parent of a 10 and 15 year old Written byhmorgan13 January 2, 2014

Great story of the making of Mary Poppins!

This is a great movie telling how Mary Poppins the movie came to life on the big screen. It is NOT Mary Poppins. It's more of a historical type film. My daughter, 10yrs old, LOVED the movie. She is interested in how things are done in film and loves history. It was interesting to see how P.L. Travers came up with her story, as heart breaking as it was. Definitely bring tissues to this movie. My daughter and I can't wait to own it when it comes out in March!