All teen and kid member reviews for Saving Private Ryan

Kid, 12 years old May 14, 2011
I have been wanting to watch this movie forever, and finally dad let me. The beginning and ending scenes are extremely violent and disturbing. One memorable image is half a man is screaming in agony on Normandy Beach with his intestines spilling out onto the bloody sand. Lots of blood spurting, SPOILER!!!! Main characters die. Lots of them. Some bad language, too, but ya know, it's a war movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byvcrmastar January 23, 2010

WHY DO PEOPLE SAY THAT IT'S BAD TO BE REALISTIC?!?!

Look, sure, this movie is violent, but it IS a classic, and has many good messages loke teamwork and loyalty. The truth is, sadly, that war is violent. The only way to portray war is with violence. By age 12, kids should be mature enough to accept the profanity, be able to understand the violence, and understand the reality and brutalities of war. This is one of the best movies ever made. It should not be missed. By anyone.
Teen, 16 years old Written byHennex January 2, 2011

Amazing movie, great for the mature teen.

It's hard to click the "Too Violent" button, because that seems to me to indicate that unneccesary violence was present, which it was not. This movie is surprising at parts, and very sad, but realistic and true. This movie is full of bloody violence, but if your child is a history buff or is mature enough, they need to watch this. It is violent, but it's such a good movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydean98 September 20, 2011

Bloody war movie is excellent but very violent

This is my all time favorite war movie. Parents should just be concerned on the amount of violence. The worst scene is in the beginning where it shows a 20 minute clip of D-Day. There is some strong, coarse language including the F words. When characters are shot blood is spewn. It is incredibely realistic. I saw it at the age of 12 and was shocked to see boat loads of blood. It has strong characters and a moral message. The movie is absolutely magnificent. 5 stars!!
Kid, 10 years old July 9, 2011

It wont come back and haunt you

very bloody with scenes of people spewing blood but its war thats what happens you know. What helped me is thinking that you know its over it wont kill you, overall maturity yes or no. Quite a bit of swearing though, its classic what do you think?
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares January 28, 2009

Incredibly Overrated

Just another film to bring in more troops for the US. If you're looking for a good was movie from 1998, watch Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line.
Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2012

Oh My Gosh

This is a very good movie and I think VERY MATURE boys could handle it 9 and up. Legs blown up, bullets through heads!!!!!! But common sense really Call of duty NOT FOR KIDS and the most gory movie with REAL PEOPLE is ok 16& up GET IT RIGHT
Teen, 17 years old Written byTbadman March 10, 2011

Masterpiece of the war genre,recommended for mature audiences

A very violent war film that is perfectly done thanks to an excellent script,great performances and really good film making all around. It tells an emotionally charged story of a squad of soldiers that have to rescue a man they have never met and really dont care about,thus they question their mission. This is a great metaphor and this theme of fighting for someone you have never met is dwelled on constantly. The film is really about soldiers who fight and die for our freedom despite the fact that they dont know anything about us. This is a war film and as such it is extremely violent,disturbing and hardcore,too disturbing and graphic for family members under 16,maybe 17.But this violence does serve a purpose,it deglorifies war and shows it in a very realistic,open minded manner. The greatest war film ever made in my opinion
Teen, 13 years old Written byMicahBob January 13, 2011

good, but very questionable language and vilonce

its one of my favorite movies, but thwy drop the f-bomb so much and the vilonce is alot more that i thought (and i was expecting alot)
Teen, 13 years old Written bygunman202 April 12, 2009

My Favorite Movie

I have to admit this is my all time favorite movie. It is an amazing story but not very appropriate for you children. The first battle depicts d-day. This is the most graphic scene in any movie known to man. There are armless people, burning people a guy with his chest blown open with his innards hanging out. People are shot in the head and massacred. I can’t give you every detail or id be here all day. There is no sex or nudity. A lot of foul language, and show graphic scenes of war. One scene in particular shows a man slowly stabbed by a Nazi and I almost threw up. I’m ok with guts and all that stuff but if your child can’t watch the Discovery health channel then don’t let them watch it. This may even scare some adults so if you are the most bit squeamish DON’T WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byItsBeardy August 14, 2016

A right of passage

This movie shows the horrors of war in gruesome color. Showing this to your kid is a right of passage, saying that they are mature enough to understand that war is more than a single main character mowing down faceless enemies. This movie shows the emotion, and terror that those men felt on the beaches and fields of Normandy, and honestly I was speechless when the end credits rolled. By far the greatest and most accurate war film I have ever seen. Do not rush to show your child this film, wait until they can understand what it means.
Teen, 14 years old Written byzombieface August 12, 2016

Awesome movie

This is one of the greatest movies ever made, and it's one of my personal favorites. It's extremely well made. And the ending is so sad... But enough of that: this movie is super violent. There's brutal and bloody shootings, with mist and blood spurts. There's also a few scenes where characters are blown up, with blood mist, and a brutal stabbing. It's also very realistic (no streams of blood shooting out) and it's not gratuitous. So while the violence might unsettle you, it's filmed in a very anti-violence way and has a good message. The swearing is nothing worse than what one might hear in sixth grade. It's mostly the f-word, which is used so much these days it's completely (for me) lost any "oh no that's a bad word" or edge. The characters do smoke and drink, but it's period-accurate and the movie does not glorify or promote it. There is no sex or even "sexy" scenes. Overall, this movie is totally fine if you can handle the violence and understand the message it gives. And if it's fine, then WATCH IT! It's amazing, and unforgettable.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHandsDownHorrorMan July 9, 2016

Outstanding film based on a true story!

Teen, 13 years old Written byElot July 1, 2016

One of the best films ever made, but extremely graphic

This movie is visually stunning and a masterpiece of modern cinema. However, kids will probably find the violence, which is extremely graphic, disturbing. One soldier's intestines are spilled out while he cries for his mother and another one is shot by a sniper in the pouring rain and slowly bleeds to death. The opening 30 minutes are intense, with limbs being torn off and countless soldiers being shot. Aside from that, it is a fantastic movie and deserves to be seen.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPeter10 June 23, 2016

Hard but great depiction of tragic event

This sad movie was hard but I am glad I watched it. It put the horrors of war into something I comprehend. It show realism and honor. It was sad but it makes me grateful and I am glad I watched this film.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygbarger91 May 13, 2016

The Best War Movie Ever

This is easily my favorite film ever. It's not like I'm all about war movies, but this was by one of my favorites, Steven Spielberg. Along with that, it has a great cast, including Tom Hanks and Matt Damon. This is also an honest depiction of war from Spielberg with the most realistic violence and war scenes I have ever witnessed. Everyone must see this at some point in their life, and especially when they're in their early-mid teens.
Kid, 9 years old April 29, 2016

Great and emotional but horribly graphic and disturbing film is fine for adults.

This great drama opens with one of the bloodiest battles in human history, D-Day, June 6th, 1944. Capt. Miller (Tom Hanks) is fighting against the German's on a famous beach, and when the gory and horrible fight is over, he brings a small group (including an american solider who can speak German) on a mission to find a man named James Francis Ryan to tell him that he's three brothers were murdered in combat, and that they're bringing him home. Once they travel so far that they find him in a German town invaded by Germans, and they realize that Ryan and his crew are there preparing for a German attack on an important bridge. So, Ryan and Miller's teams collaborate and take on the Germans themselves. Will Ryan, his crew, Miller, and his crew as well. There's no telling who's the main character here. Violence 5/5: Constant, graphic, bloody and brutal war violence throughout. The very first scene is extremely graphic, featuring guts flowing out a man's stomach, soldiers blowing to bits, getting their heads blown off by guns, and being shot immediately out of their boats. In one scene, a mans head is blown off by a tank. In one scene, a mans guts are spilling out of his arm and stomach, with blood polling. A gory, red ocean is seen. A mans arm is blown off, and he is seen carrying it. A man is graphically stabbed in the stomach. Blood splatters, pools, and gory wounds are constantly seen. Many man are shot inside of a tank. A man is shot behind a wall, and blood spills. A man is impaled with a stick. A medic is shot hundreds of times in the head. Blood leaks from disgusting, rotting wounds. A graphic and shocking hospital scenes shows gory and extremely graphic wounds. A family of two children and a mother and father are bombed. Implied stabbing and murder. A man is executed with blood splatters. Disturbing and gory medical images. Language 4/5: f--k, s--t, d--k, F.U.B.A.R, and p---y are said frequently, a few of them to describe German's. Drugs and drinking: 0/5. This movie is great, shocking, thrilling, entertaining, and rough, but not for kids or anyone under 18. My rating:R for non-stop brutal gory war violence throughout, disturbing images, and language.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydkasal000 September 14, 2015

Awesome

great movie loved it yes there is swearing and violence but what do you think happens on a battlefield.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan August 13, 2015

"Saving Private Ryan" movie review

"Saving Private Ryan" is my personal favorite Steven Spielberg film. It is an accurate portrayal of war filled with great acting and mesmerizing setpieces. Tom Hanks gives one of the best performances of his career as Captain John Miller. He shows bravery and authority very well. He is what drives the movie. The 24-minute opening sequence on Omaha Beach was very graphic and violent. It felt very realistic and detailed. Many soldiers were getting killed and lots of them wounded bad. "Saving Private Ryan" is a hard film to watch at parts. This film is one of the most violent movies I have ever seen. It is very violent yet it is a wonderful film that shows why America is the best nation still. I don't think I can watch this film many times. It is not a movie for people who can not handle gore and very violent scenes. However, it's a beautifully mesmerizing film about life on Earth and how to stand up fighting for the freedom of the world.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLucan1010 July 9, 2015

Excellent Anti-War Drama features extreme violence and Strong Language

Violence: Extreme, realistic, persistent violence. Some major (and likable) characters die. However, if you kids have played the newer Call of Duty Games they can probably handle it. Language: Pretty much everything. Sex: Brief description of past romantic encounter, however stays at PG level. Drugs: Smoking, medical drugs administered. Overall as I mentioned above if your kids can handle Call of Duty they can handle this.