Parent reviews for Schindler's List

Accurate, heartbreaking masterpiece about the Holocaust.

Wondering if Schindler's List is OK for your kids?

Adult Written byNicole D July 20, 2020

a must see in your lifetime

this is a very iconic film that you have to see at least once . definitely my favorite movie based off of ww2 and the holocaust. a very powerful and emotional film that can teach many the story behind the holocaust. parents and guardians beware of nudity, brief sex scenes, death that includes people getting shot , very sad throughout film, and is a loud movie if you know someone who maybe sensitive to loud noises such as gunshots. a really good and touching film.

Adult Written byNyxe Sceptara November 8, 2019

Depressing and brutal, but overall heart touching

This movie was amazing and easily makes my list of favorite movies. It wasn't as violent as I expected it to be, for a movie about the holocaust, anyway. There is a lot of shooting, from far ranges and point blank, and it shows children being shot as well. There is plenty of cursing, and full on frontal nudity on one scene, as well as showing bare breasts throughout the movie. There is one brief sex scene, but no genitals are shown, and there is lots of drinking and smoking throughout the movie. Although this movie is filled with death and straight up villainy, It touches your heart at how much Mr Schindler cares for people, and how he tries his best to save as many as he can. So if your child can handle that, I feel like it is a good movie for anyone to watch.

Adult Written byKristaann September 12, 2019

Not a movie for kids

After hearing my sister state she had my 14 and 16 year old niece and nephew watch this to learn about empathy I sickenly say and watched it. It is educational in the sense of what happened then. Not for kids though... especially when a mom makes her kids watch it whilt calling them nazi's... I am discussed that my sister used this as a so called self help video. NOT FOR KIDS!!!

Adult Written byEdwardMicu42 December 22, 2018

A depressing movie, about something equally depressing.

Schindler's List is undoubtedly the greatest Holocaust movie of all time, it's a must-see in history and politics classes (in the high school level)
Although, if you're immature, don't watch it, since there is some scenes of sexuality.

Adult Written byJO0426511005 October 30, 2018

One of the best!

This movie is amazing . A mature 14 or 15 year old could handle it.

Adult Written byShaanti R. May 27, 2018

Made Me Grow As A Person

Before watching Schindler's List, my knowledge on the Holocaust was very limited. The movie definitely painted a vivid, detailed picture of the devastating event and the conditions of the concentration camps that no one should have ever had to experience. Schindler's List made me very interested in this horrific event in history and its effects. Throughout the movie, there was also character development.

Adult Written byJoe J. March 9, 2017

As close to perfect as movies can get.

Adult Written byAlex W. January 24, 2017

A good movie with some limitations

Regarding ratings, I really think this movie should be restricted to those 15 and over. The violence scenes are more graphic than your average m rating (in Australia). I also feel like the DVD should mention there's lots of nudity and some sex scenes (it didn't). I think a lot of the nudity is excessive and unnecessary for the point and theme of the movie. It's just a distraction. That being said the movie is very well done and makes some good but also very sad points. It does make you feel the horror of the holocaust. And Schindlers character is well played. I do wonder if there'd be a bit less individual terrorising of particular Jews in reality in the camps compared to cold hearted mass executions/genocide, which are both evil of course but different.

Adult Written byElflaquenvio 96 July 5, 2016

Schindler's List Review

Schindlers list is one of the most graphic films about the holocaust ever filmed. It shows the horrors and reality of one of histories darkest chapters. Due to the brutality, violence, and nudity no children of any age and young teens should not watch this film. Best suited for an adult audience 17+.

Adult Written bySamanthaWurm June 22, 2016

Disturbing but really good!

This movie is very good... I got really disturbed by it though. It showed Nazi's shooting Jews, people going into gas chambers, burning bodies, etc. It did swear several times. Inluding the "s" word and the "f" word. I think you should be mature to watch this because it shows a quite a bit of nudity! (Mostly love scenes). It shows a woman's bare breasts. And there is one scene where you see Jews in the concentration camps getting humiliated nude. It shows everything... But otherwise I think this is a great movie and it really shows how World War 2 was and how terrible Jews were treated. If you get disturbed easily by this kind of stuff then I would wait until you think you'd be able to handle it.

Adult Written byiiRevieW March 9, 2016

A Masterpiece BUT NOT FOR KIDS AT ALL

I'm pretty sure your children have heard about the holocaust but I know you wouldn't want to show them a movie about it. Especially if a book is hard enough. This movie has lots of nudity both involving sex and gas chambers. None of which are appropriate for children. It also includes a great amount of holocaust violence including point blank range shootings, disturbing beatings, and implied rape. This movie was hard enough for me to watch. Definitely not for kids and teens. Although there are great role models who are filled with courage and bravery.

Adult Written byTaylorbacon7 March 4, 2016

Read book first

Reading the book would be a good first good option to prepare you for the movie it is called "The boy on the wooden box"
Adult Written bymelissae1 May 11, 2015

Not for young teens or schools

Although the movie subject is very important I do not think it is appropriate for younger teens. Also, I do not agree with schools showing this film. Parents should be present to discuss the film with their children. There are more than 25 "f" words in this film and nudity including a sex scene with "moaning". There are other movies and documentaries that can show the these horrifying historical events without the Hollywood spin.

Adult Written byCSM Screen name... April 29, 2015

Great Classic!

LOOOTTSS OOFF sadness and violence under 18= skip it.
Very well done, Spielberg.

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 November 16, 2014

Iconic film delivers searing history

Commonly cited as one of the greatest/longest/most emotional films of all time, "Schindler's List" is an absolutely devastating watch. Even 195 minutes will never be enough to convey the atrocity of the Holocaust, but Spielberg and his dynamite group of actors are 99% there. On strictly a cinematic level, it excels in all categories: the cinematography, shaky but not jarringly so, the trio of actors along with the thousands of extras were superb, especially Ralph Fienne's now infamously excellent depiction of a Nazi he was robbed of at the Oscars! The score is nothing short of haunting, and all of this of course, would be nothing without the direction of Steven Spielberg. In some trivia I read of this film, he said he wants to be remembered by this film and "E.T." What a legacy indeed, and what great respect Spielberg paid to the real Schindler and the men and women he was able to selflessly rescue.

Adult Written bychristian2011 August 31, 2013

Incredible, thought provoking, inspirational film portraying one of America's most inspiring figures and the infamous graphic side of the Holocaust.

Schindler's List is one of the, if not, the greatest movie interpreted and based off one of history's most infamous times - the Holocaust. It also brings you the surreal and compelling story about one of the Germans whom sought justice and solitude for the Jews, Oscar Schindler, performed by Liam Neeson, one of the best actors in the business - perfectly portraying Schindler's gentlemen charm and promiscuous aurora, providing the Jew's care, freedom and nourishment during the savage onslaught brought on by the Nazis. This doesn't mean that Schindler's List is for everyone, since it's easily over 190 minutes long and more than half of the movie reveals extremely graphic and brutal carnage inflicted on innocent Jews in highly realistic detail. Several gruesome and shocking scenes of Jewish people and children shot down at point-blank range with graphic bloody results, experimented on alive, burned, put in gas chambers, and even hospital patients in their own beds are shot to death - but a nurse gave each a poison to euthanize them before. Language is infrequent but sometimes strong (f**k, sh*t), and a few scenes of an explicit sexual nature, including graphic full-frontal nudity (breasts, buttocks, genitalia) shown - mostly shown by emancipated Jews. Besides the explicit content shown, it's a potential highly educational film for those highly interested in teaching others about the Holocaust and additionally be astounded by the brilliant storytelling, acting, and inspirational moments brought by Oscar Schindler, which has saved thousands of Jews.

Adult Written bygrapelover46 September 13, 2012

This movie is amazing!!!

Adult Written byMrMahon October 13, 2011

An Educational must see

I Showed this in a school film a club from ages 13-16. I made sure throughout the film I would explain why these things were happening to the Jewish people and the persecution throughout. The students were horrified by the events but as long as the understanding was their this is a valuable film in retelling the artocities of the holocaust especially as it not afraid to pull any punches.

Certain sexual scenes are unfortunate but some nudity scenes are valuable especially when showing the Jewish humiliation from the NAZI's

Adult Written bycastrato September 11, 2011

Excellent movie

Actually, Schindler is a poor role model. The point of the sex scenes involving him are to show that even though he was empathetic towards the Jews, he was still a womanizer and completely faithless to his wife. The sex scenes involving Goeth show the absolute animal nature of the man, how he was ruled by his cruel nature and his animalistic desires. He lost his 'love' because of his gambling addiction and was frequently in trouble for misdemeanors due to his alcohol addiction and his violent tendencies.
Though it's fraught with historical inaccuracies it is also a very powerful film and shows the conditions of the Jews during the Holocaust and for the most part explains Schindler's nature exceedingly well.
Adult Written bycatymg July 2, 2011

Important film for adults, not kids.

While this film is epic and very realistic toward the Holocaust (a very tragic part of history everyone should know about), it is not for children. They can wait until they are adults to watch this movie. The violence will stay with them, in their minds and hearts. I believe it is far too graphic and realistic for children to witness.