All parent member reviews for Schindler's List

Parent of a 17 year old Written byphilliesphanatic12 February 11, 2010

good for anyone whos not an imature tool thats laughs at the word poop

this movie is good for anyone 12 and up. its 3hrs long and hard to follow and understand if you are under the age of 10. there is 1 scene of sex, but its only visible form the side and only breasts are shown, but there are scenes before people go into the gas chambers ( though its not sexual of course ) who are completely naked, there are point blank shootings and a few uses of bad language, but it is one of my favorite movies of all time and. it is very sad at the end so watch it
Adult Written byPandorasbox13 August 4, 2009

A Postitive Message Shrouded in Brutality

This is another one of those films from Common Sense which they lower the age range simply because it has very positive messages about the goodness of the human heart. Don't be fooled. This is a terrific and realistic portrayal of what happened to a large group of Jews during Nazi Germany. On that note, the violence is stark and hits very hard. It is often brutal, and the only color in the whole film other than the very beginning and end is blood. In some of the scenes, women and men are naked, being publicly humiliated because of their creed. The drinking and smoking is at an okay range, which is fine for a rated R audience. The bad guys are obviously bad, and the good good, so no problems there. It is obvious who the bad role models are, therefore there arn't any problems in that area. I'd recommend this film to anyone interested in great cinema, but children should definitely not watch this movie, along with no one under age 17.
Adult Written bycatymg July 2, 2011

Important film for adults, not kids.

While this film is epic and very realistic toward the Holocaust (a very tragic part of history everyone should know about), it is not for children. They can wait until they are adults to watch this movie. The violence will stay with them, in their minds and hearts. I believe it is far too graphic and realistic for children to witness.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion March 13, 2011

Essential Movie

I honestly believe that if you see just one WWII/Holocaust movie in your life, it must be this one. SCHINDLER'S LIST is a heartwrenching, brutal, yet ultimately uplifting movie that is an essential piece of entertainment for all adults to see. Everyone MUST see it at least once in their lives. It's a spectacularly powerful and admirable movie; one that will doubtless keep the Holocaust in the memory of generations to come. If you are over seventeen and reading this (and haven't seen this movie), watch it as soon as possible. However, now we get to the difficult question. Should kids see it? I believe that the answer is a strong "yes." First off, when kids are so often desensitized to violence and war, this movie will show them the brutal realities and consequences of murder and genocide, and I guarantee it will change their viewpoint forever. Also, in an age when so many people make light of the Holocaust or even deny that it ever happened, this movie is a brave tribute to the time period. It is, in a sense, a living memorial to Holocaust victims that should be viewed anew by every generation. However, no one who has seen this movie can deny that it isn't just your average R-rated movie. This film is an "experience" that has the potential to change your child forever, in a positive or negative way. Normally I don't agree with people who speak of movies "damaging" children's psyches, but if this movie is shown to a child at too young of an age, it could scar them (no exaggeration). The violence in the film is almost unbearable to watch, and the B&W cinematography doesn't make it any less graphic. There is at least a good thirty minutes straight of the film that is devoted to showing the slaughter of innocent victims. A man and his dying wife are shot point blank, with blood splatter and extremely graphic spurts. When a man is shot through the head, gore spatters and you see the back of his head rip open. Children are also victims. We see children and their parents being torn apart or killed by Nazi officers, and the camera doesn't flinch. I'm not a particularly sensitive movie-goer, but I was bawling through at least an hour of this movie. The violence is so realistic and disturbing, even for adults. In addition, you see a naked man and woman having sex (waists up, you see the outline of her breasts for less then a minute, but no explicit nudity, since they are interrupted). Two topless women are seen in bed, but neither in a sexual context(in one, she is just sleeping, and in the other, her lover is executing Jews right outside of the bedroom and the scene is terrifying as opposed to sexual). Full nudity of both men and women is seen in a violent, concentration camp context. The "f" word is used a few times, but in all honesty, that should be the least of your concerns when deciding whether or not to let your kid see this movie. In short, SCHINDLER'S LIST is an amazing achievement in film. Please view it alone before showing it to your kid, or watch it with them and discuss it with them. I don't believe in editing out the more explicit parts; just wait until your child can watch the whole movie and get the full impact of it. Afterwards: Discuss, discuss, discuss! That's what this movie was made for.
Parent Written bymelissae1 May 11, 2015

Not for young teens or schools

Although the movie subject is very important I do not think it is appropriate for younger teens. Also, I do not agree with schools showing this film. Parents should be present to discuss the film with their children. There are more than 25 "f" words in this film and nudity including a sex scene with "moaning". There are other movies and documentaries that can show the these horrifying historical events without the Hollywood spin.
Parent Written byPlague April 6, 2010

Schindler's List

A great holocaust based film, and a true masterpiece.
Educator Written byMrMahon October 13, 2011

An Educational must see

I Showed this in a school film a club from ages 13-16. I made sure throughout the film I would explain why these things were happening to the Jewish people and the persecution throughout. The students were horrified by the events but as long as the understanding was their this is a valuable film in retelling the artocities of the holocaust especially as it not afraid to pull any punches. Certain sexual scenes are unfortunate but some nudity scenes are valuable especially when showing the Jewish humiliation from the NAZI's
Adult Written bycastrato September 11, 2011

Excellent movie

Actually, Schindler is a poor role model. The point of the sex scenes involving him are to show that even though he was empathetic towards the Jews, he was still a womanizer and completely faithless to his wife. The sex scenes involving Goeth show the absolute animal nature of the man, how he was ruled by his cruel nature and his animalistic desires. He lost his 'love' because of his gambling addiction and was frequently in trouble for misdemeanors due to his alcohol addiction and his violent tendencies. Though it's fraught with historical inaccuracies it is also a very powerful film and shows the conditions of the Jews during the Holocaust and for the most part explains Schindler's nature exceedingly well.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Amazing!

A wonderful portrayal of the bravery of one man- and how he saved many Jews from certain death!!! A MUST SEE!!!!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byxboxgeek April 25, 2011

brilliant film and a must see before your 20

A britlliant film, really moving i think that every age should know about the holocaust but people put this movie down when they say its a inappropriate but i disagree i dont think there is anything wrong with nudity in films as long as its not used within a sexual content i cant beleive people can say this is a bad film because it has rape and nudity in it, because thats what happened in the holocaust.
Adult Written byBennington May 18, 2009
There is another film coming out that relates to WWII called Iron Cross. It is actually Roy Scheider's final film. His character runs into the Nazi that killed his entire family, and together with his son, they set out to exact justice. It's going to be so good!! I downloaded the trailer and I can't wait for it to come out!!
Adult Written byYankeeAgKid April 9, 2008

Such A Sad Movie

I watched Schindler's List in my senior high history class. It was a fair (and sad) portrail of the Haulocaust. I would reccomend this for older kids who realise the effect of this event on WW II.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 November 16, 2014

Iconic film delivers searing history

Commonly cited as one of the greatest/longest/most emotional films of all time, "Schindler's List" is an absolutely devastating watch. Even 195 minutes will never be enough to convey the atrocity of the Holocaust, but Spielberg and his dynamite group of actors are 99% there. On strictly a cinematic level, it excels in all categories: the cinematography, shaky but not jarringly so, the trio of actors along with the thousands of extras were superb, especially Ralph Fienne's now infamously excellent depiction of a Nazi he was robbed of at the Oscars! The score is nothing short of haunting, and all of this of course, would be nothing without the direction of Steven Spielberg. In some trivia I read of this film, he said he wants to be remembered by this film and "E.T." What a legacy indeed, and what great respect Spielberg paid to the real Schindler and the men and women he was able to selflessly rescue.
Adult Written bychristian2011 August 31, 2013

Incredible, thought provoking, inspirational film portraying one of America's most inspiring figures and the infamous graphic side of the Holocaust.

Schindler's List is one of the, if not, the greatest movie interpreted and based off one of history's most infamous times - the Holocaust. It also brings you the surreal and compelling story about one of the Germans whom sought justice and solitude for the Jews, Oscar Schindler, performed by Liam Neeson, one of the best actors in the business - perfectly portraying Schindler's gentlemen charm and promiscuous aurora, providing the Jew's care, freedom and nourishment during the savage onslaught brought on by the Nazis. This doesn't mean that Schindler's List is for everyone, since it's easily over 190 minutes long and more than half of the movie reveals extremely graphic and brutal carnage inflicted on innocent Jews in highly realistic detail. Several gruesome and shocking scenes of Jewish people and children shot down at point-blank range with graphic bloody results, experimented on alive, burned, put in gas chambers, and even hospital patients in their own beds are shot to death - but a nurse gave each a poison to euthanize them before. Language is infrequent but sometimes strong (f**k, sh*t), and a few scenes of an explicit sexual nature, including graphic full-frontal nudity (breasts, buttocks, genitalia) shown - mostly shown by emancipated Jews. Besides the explicit content shown, it's a potential highly educational film for those highly interested in teaching others about the Holocaust and additionally be astounded by the brilliant storytelling, acting, and inspirational moments brought by Oscar Schindler, which has saved thousands of Jews.
Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byPlasmaSprayer December 25, 2009
Although very violent and graphic, it is a favorite in our household. It is important to watch and learn from such movies lest horrors such as the Holocaust was may never repeat themselves.
Parent Written bygrapelover46 September 13, 2012

This movie is amazing!!!

Adult Written byspartacus007 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bymrs.black09 April 9, 2008

Bring a tissue box...

I bawled endlessly during this movie. Being the kind of person who cries at the end of Black Beauty, I knew there was no way I was coming away from this one unscathed. The violence is generally brief, but brutal, and there's quite a bit of nudity. That being said, everyone should see this movie at some point in their life. I've noticed a disturbing rise in "fashionable" anti-Semitism, and so this film is just as important as ever. In the words of Holocaust survivor Mike Jacobs (the anglicized version of his birth name) "This is what one human being can do to another. Always remember, never forget, because, God Forbid, it could happen again."
Adult Written byElflaquenvio 96 July 5, 2016

Schindler's List Review

Schindlers list is one of the most graphic films about the holocaust ever filmed. It shows the horrors and reality of one of histories darkest chapters. Due to the brutality, violence, and nudity no children of any age and young teens should not watch this film. Best suited for an adult audience 17+.
Adult Written bySamanthaWurm June 22, 2016

Disturbing but really good!

This movie is very good... I got really disturbed by it though. It showed Nazi's shooting Jews, people going into gas chambers, burning bodies, etc. It did swear several times. Inluding the "s" word and the "f" word. I think you should be mature to watch this because it shows a quite a bit of nudity! (Mostly love scenes). It shows a woman's bare breasts. And there is one scene where you see Jews in the concentration camps getting humiliated nude. It shows everything... But otherwise I think this is a great movie and it really shows how World War 2 was and how terrible Jews were treated. If you get disturbed easily by this kind of stuff then I would wait until you think you'd be able to handle it.