Kid reviews for Schindler's List

Accurate, heartbreaking masterpiece about the Holocaust.

Wondering if Schindler's List is OK for your kids?

Teen, 15 years old Written byhayal12 October 1, 2016

Moving, violent and unforgettable

"Schindler's List" has often been hailed as Steven Spielberg's masterpiece, and no wonder - the film depicts a spectrum of human emotions, as well as provoking them in the audience. When Oskar Schindler, a German Catholic, builds a factory workforce entirely out of Jews from the Krakow ghetto, only to see it dismantled by Nazi propagators of the Holocaust, he is determined to stop at nothing to reassemble his staff (using his fabulous wealth for bribery as a tool) to shield them from the perils they face in the Auschwitz camp. This is a once-in-a-lifetime viewing experience that will fail to disappoint - and succeed to fulfil and elevate.

Teen, 13 years old Written byfamilydude134 April 14, 2015

Iffy. Depends

The mobie is centered on a true hero, a man who saved 1100 people from death. The movie is graphically and constantly violent. It depends upon the viewer. I saw this when I was 10, but my brother has to wait untill he's 16, so, it really depends. Sex and nudity are present, but, it's not "just because."

Teen, 13 years old Written byItsRyGuy February 17, 2020

Schindler’s List: Wow. Extremely powerful and sad true story about the Holocaust

This movie is a true story about the Holocaust and how Oskar Schindler saved over 1,000 Jewish workers to be enslaved in Auschwitz. Because this movie is about the Holocaust, this movie has lots of graphic and heartless killings by guns,genocide, gassing Jewish people, burning human carcasses etc. Not too much language, but Amon Goeth says the f word multiple times to Jewish workers and calls them “F-Ing discussing” and many more terrible terrible and harsh references. This movie is very depressing and sad especially because the Holocaust is a true story, so be warned!

Teen, 13 years old Written byMarylinDavis October 7, 2020
I watched this movie when i was twelve, and my parents were very hesitant about letting me watch this movie, but for the past four years i had been learning about the holocaust and its my favorite thing in school and i already knew what happens in the movie so i think that it really depends on your child. Every child is different and if you think they can handle it and there over 13 then they should watch itq

Kid, 10 years old July 29, 2020

Extremely violent,but very nice

No one under 16 should have permission to watch this

Teen, 14 years old Written byClorox bleach June 9, 2020

Kids should watch this movie

I think this is Steven Spielberg's best movie
Teen, 15 years old Written byMI6224 May 16, 2020

Poignant Adaptation of Hero - Oskar Schindler

Spielberg’s holocaust film is one of the most — if not the most accurate holocaust film in the history of cinema. It gives the audience a “first person” experience of what it was like at the Auschwitz-Birkenau death camp. For example, the camera follows a group of innocent people entering a gas chamber. There are plenty of disturbing and graphic scenes - most of when Jewish people are executed. Sexually, there is one part where a woman’s breasts are shown, briefly. This film shows that anyone — even the most unlikely people can turn into a lifesaver.

Teen, 14 years old Written byimryantran May 15, 2020

Absolutely good telling of the Holocaust you don't want to miss.

This is probably the saddest film ever released, but it's also one of the most uplifting as well. There is many violent and disturbing scenes of how the Jewish people were treated during World War II. This film can be very mature, and what makes it more painful is that the film was intentionally shot in black-and-white. You should really watch this film, but it will certainly make you cry.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTheoJoe April 29, 2020

Heartbreaking but Very Important

I have seen this film twice, once with my mother and another with my grandmother. There is something about Schindler's List that no other movie about the holocaust can capture. It's the personal connections you make with the characters. When they feel pain, you feel pain. That is why this movie is so difficult to go through. The realism is stunning, and many times I had to look away. Shootings, the gas chamber, everything is shown and nothing is censored. For people who are just starting to make sense of the world, this movie is so important. Everyone should see it, as it implants a message into your soul, that we must never forget that the holocaust happened.

Teen, 13 years old Written byGryfferinblake1917 April 14, 2020

Depressing and long but good

It’s really long. It took me a month to finish, but I have ADHD and sitting still for 3 hours and 17 minutes would be impossible. Ultimately, I was glad I spent 197 non consecutive minutes of my life on this movie. It was depressing, but real. This movie is, at times, uncomfortable to sit through, but, again, ultimately worth it. It’s one of Spielberg’s greatest.
It’s a must watch.
Teen, 13 years old Written byharrypotterfilmfan March 24, 2020

Heartbreaking film for teens and mature kids

A FEW SPOILERS BUT NOTHING DETAILED

I was 12 when I watched this film, and it changed my view about the Holocaust and WW2. Steven Spielberg had a vision, and completed it to its full magnitude. This means the film stretches over 3 hours, but it it timeless. Everything is astounding and shocking from start to finish. The sober music and beautiful cinematography make it all the more powerful. But despite how good the movie is, at the end of the day, not a movie for young or immature kids. There is graphic violence throughout, Jews and others are shot through the head for little to no reason (particularly the over 30 minute Krakow Ghetto massacre about an hour in). Just watching them being shunned from place to place like animals is upsetting enough. While Oskar Schindler is at the end a man who is a humanitarian, he progresses to that throughout the film, starting as a greedy, playboy Nazi, who has no respect for his Jewish workers, and just uses the Jews because they are cheaper. There is also quite a bit of graphic nudity, sometimes Schindler sleeping with various women, sometimes Jews being humiliated in concentration camps. Despite all of this, if you think your child is old enough, show them it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTIONYIRIOHA February 29, 2020

Great movie

Really good relevant, timeless film
Teen, 14 years old Written byPromptedFall445 February 12, 2020

Daniel's Review

In my opinion Schindler’s List is a pretty accurate historically because it describes the sad Holocaust in a very violent, but a pretty accurate way with all of the painful deaths in the movie. When the Germans sent the Jews to the camps they held them as prisoners. They were often starved, worked, and even tortured to death, this happened countless times in the movie. There were also gas chambers involved in the movie. Most of the concentration camps that the Germans used to kill the Jews were in Poland and Germany, the main setting of the movie was in Krakow, Poland, but some of the Jews were accidentally sent to the infamous Auschwitz camp in Germany, but those were the only main settings in the movie so that is also pretty accurate historically. At the start of the movie Oskar Schindler was just an ordianary German businessman who wanted money. He hired a Jewish worker, but that was only because he wanted money. But as the movie went on and he saw more of the killing of the Jewish people he grew more and more sympathetic and him and his Jewish worker made a list of the Jews that needed to be saved, in the movie there were around 1,000 Jews saved from the Germans, which is close to the number in real life. Schindler’s List is historically accurate in most ways because it describes enough of the elements of the Holocaust.
Overall I learned a lot about the film and it will help me understand what happened in the Holocaust and how it happened because of the multitude of ways that the Jews were killed by the Germans, I also learned about Oskar Schindler, when I started the movie I didn’t know who he was, but then I quickly understood what he was going to do in the movie, he was just a normal person, but then he changed throughout the movie and saved a good chunk of the Jewish population. I also thought that the concentration camps were just located in Germany but I learned that a lot of them were in Poland and even some other European countries. Schindler’s List is a great movie and you can learn a lot about the Holocaust if you watch it and pay attention.
I recommend this movie to some people, it depends on who they are. If someone wants to learn more about the Holocaust and what was happening in Germany during this time period, then they should go for it but they would need to prepare for some heavy violence and killing and have enough knowledge about the Holocaust to be able to follow all the way through the movie. If it was a generic person though I would say probably not, because to know what is happening all throughout the movie I feel like you would have to have a decent amount of knowledge about the Holocaust, (I asked my Dad a bunch of questions). I think Schindler’s List is a great movie for what it is, but I wouldn’t recommend it to everyone due to the heavy violence involved and the information about the Holocaust that you would probably have to know to follow the movie.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySedrtf December 28, 2019

NOT FOR KIDS!!!

This movie was sad, but I think everyone should watch it at some point in their lives. I saw it when I was 12 and it scarred me. There’s so much violence and nudity that I think anyone under 16 would be scared out of their mind, and probably wouldn’t understand what was going on.

Teen, 13 years old Written by3yeet July 18, 2019

Tragic work of art and one of the greatest films ever - mature content but important messages for teens, some tweens

There is a scene from Schindler's List - no, I don't think I'll start with a scene. Most critics do, and I am no exception, but in this case, I don't think it's necessary. This holds true because every scene in Spielberg's masterpiece, from the moment Oskar Schindler (played by Liam Neeson) reveals to Itzhak Stern (Ben Kingsley), his Jewish assistant that he truly started his factory to save the Jews, not make money, to the moment Oskar later runs after the train as Itzhak is mistakenly sent to a concentration camp, to the moment that we first see the symbolic Girl in Red wandering through the darkness and brutality, could be used as an introduction and it would perfectly exemplify the film. Spielberg has crafted some of my favorite films, i.e. Saving Private Ryan, and some of the misses i.e. Empire of the Sun, but never has he crafted a work of art like this. This is a film. This is a great film. This is a film to be saved by the Library of Congress. Or any library. By any congress. Jokes aside, this is a film to be remembered. In a runtime just over three hours, it chronicles the life of Oskar Schindler, a Nazi who now is starting a business in Nazi occupied Poland, a place that he, as a German officer, helped to overtake. As you have probably heard before, Schindler was not the greatest of men. He was greedy, he was a real businessman, and he was a womanizer. His transformation, as he initially hires Jews because they are cheap, then, viewing the scenes of senseless carnage and cruelty that the Nazis were perpetrating, hires them because he wants to save them, then makes worthless material for the Nazis and works just to save more Jews, and somewhere in there creates a list of Jews which he desires to save, is the important theme of the film. It shows us, along with the nightmare of the Holocaust, that every man, regardless of his previous stature, can rise as a member of the human race and commit an act of kindness towards fellow humans. I think at this point you get the gist of what I am trying to say here. I also think this whole review was, in retrospect, me gushing over this film instead of reviewing it. But I've probably been wasting your time, your question may be: should I show this film to my kids? Firstly, it depends on the kid. That big ol' THIRTEEN PLUS up there shouldn't mean anything to you if you believe your kid is mature enough for this film. But I think it's still important to get the content out of the way: there is near constant violence towards Jews or other minorities in this film, including plenty of horrible beatings, graphic shootings, Jews struggling to survive in concentration camps, and other acts of brutality. Children are killed and young children are murdered. The violence is seemingly endless, so if your kid can't handle it, don't show it to them. There's also a considerable amount of sexual content and nudity. Oskar Schindler was an aforementioned womanizer and has an affair, including sex, with a woman. There is also full-frontal nudity in a non-sexual context. Many Jews in the concentration camps are forced to take off all of their clothes for inspections and torture and other things. There is the occasional curse, and some of these curses are indeed racially charged. Much of the early part of the film is about consumerism, but I typically don't regard that as a big deal at all and the end of the film demonstrates consumerism's problems. There's also a lot of drinking, drunk people, and smoking. I'm aware that this all seems like something for no 13 year old to view. But as a 13 year old who viewed it, I can tell you that I also checked off the great messages and great role models section (I checked off all the sections). This film's messages about being a good person, and Schindler becoming a role model out of a man that was anything but one, are probably important for teens and even some mature tweens to understand. I can likely assure you that this film will only inspire good behavior in your children. But child or adult (human), see this film.

Teen, 15 years old Written byCoolpool785 May 13, 2019

Accurate movie of the Holocaust doesn't hold back.

This is a must see movie. Everyone must see it, but only when they turn 15. This film is brutal and graphic, but accurate. The holocaust was a disturbing time, and this is a disturbing film with accurate recreations of the violence that would take place. Mass shootings of innocent civilians, gas chambers, ect. There are scenes of nudity, mostly non-sexual. Bare breasts, butts, and penises are shown. Strong language is infrequent.

Teen, 17 years old Written byJohn A. May 6, 2019

Rated 15 (strong violence, upsetting & distressing scenes, language).

SEX/NUDITY - One scene of moderate sex, featuring brief breast nudity. Some graphic images of non-sexualised nudity. There is also a scene featuring brief sexualised threat, where a man fondles a woman's breast (she is fully clothed) and prepares to kiss her. VIOLENCE/GORE - Frequent scenes of violent acts being committed against innocent people, sometimes children, for discriminating motives. People are shot excessively, and Jews being gassed is described in explicit detail. However, these are to highlight the terrors of the Holocaust; the violence is never gratuitous nor elaborate, and is an accurate depiction of historic events. Some of the shootings, nonetheless, contain copious amounts of blood spurts to emphasise the horror of the situation. PROFANITY - There is occasional use of strong language throughout ("f*ck"), and use of milder terms ("b*tch", "sh*t", "ass"). DRINKING/DRUGS/SMOKING - Smoking and drinking is shown frequently, mostly to reflect the time period the film is set. THREAT/HORROR - Prolonged sequences of Holocaust threat/horror/tragedy. Many of the scenes within the film are emotionally and psychologically distressing. Thousands of people are humiliated, ridiculed, hunted down, and killed, including many children. The film never shies away from depicting graphic violence and disturbing imagery. A sequence where numerous amounts of dead bodies are burned while some Nazi officers laugh is notably horrific, as well as the gas chamber scene and the prolonged ghetto liquidation sequence.

15 - Suitable only for persons aged 15 years and over. Contains strong content, and is not recommended for viewing by any person below the age of 15.

Teen, 14 years old Written byEvolvedAstronaut April 12, 2019
A very great movie. Has a few bits of nudity, but some schools show the movie in class. It's a really great movie. It doesn't hold back on any gruesomeness or brutality.

Teen, 13 years old Written byStardust3178 March 7, 2019

This is my favorite movie

I love this movie. It tells about the Holocaust really well. My Holocaust Studies teacher wanted to have us watch it but it is rated R and she can only get PG-13 Holocaust movies into our class.

Kid, 12 years old February 16, 2019

Gut Wrenching Holocaust Biopic

This war epic tells the depressing, compelling true story of Schindler cleverly saving 1,100 Jews. Every aspect of this historical masterpiece has been perfected, from Spielberg's brilliant direction to Ralph and Liam's great acting. Quite lengthy, though.