All parent member reviews for School of Rock

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byPAFC June 3, 2010

One of Jack Black's best unoffensive efforts; great music, fun rock references

Our family loved this movie. While the language is a little strong, compared to other movies that are rated the same, it is relatively mild. If your children like rock, it is a lot of fun. If you are a family who tolerates no swearing whatsoever, or if "kick some ass" would shock or offend you, then it's not for you. The overall message is that uptight kids use their skills to create a rock show, a slacker finds a calling and realizes what is really important in life, and forgiveness abounds.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 24, 2009

bad language!!!!1

lots of swearing (yes even out of the mouths of children) adults say the words (you can kiss my ass, i'm sexy, i'm not a sex freak anymore, shut up, and hell) kids say ( shut the hell up, shut up, and stupid head,and ass) The badest thing is there learning all this from there teacher. and when a kid writes a song and performes it on stage this the biggest line in the whole song "todays assiment kick some ass"! This movie is a very bad influence on kids 10 and under because if they see ten year old and adults saying those words and that the teacher in the movie say it's a good thing to say those words they probably will end up saying them.
Adult Written byMovieMan101 April 9, 2008

THE SCHOOL OF ROCK

THE SCHOOL OF ROCK is the most suprisingly good movie of the year! I loved the little kids who rocked out!!! Parent Preview: Sexual Content: none except some very mild innuendo Language: Minor, minor swear words Violence: none Drugs/Alcohol: none Commercialism: none except constant rock n roll references My Rating: PG for some language/innuendo
Adult Written bybasbel October 7, 2011

Funny movie

it is a funny movie, but i think it is for four and up
Adult Written byChrissy505 February 17, 2009

Hilarious!!!

I loved this movie!!! Jack black is funnier than ever and so are the kids acting with him even though some of them weren't even actors (lead gutarist Zach is soooo cute as an 11 year old I wonder what he looks like now...) The movie is great but be warned don't let kids under 12 see Jack Blacks video diary under the bonus features you see a blurred butt-shot of him. The movie itself isn't bad at all except for a few inappropriate references nothing bad happen on or off screen except for some drinking.
Parent Written bybabymonkee May 5, 2014

School of rock , rocks!

while the main character is not really a good role model (as a teacher ) and starts the flim only thinking about himself .He does have a very possitve effect on the children.Apart from that its just a really cool and fun family movie!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 August 29, 2012

school of rock

Families can talk about how much Dewey loves rock 'n' roll. Why is it so important to him? What does it allow him to express? How does School of Rock compare with other movies you've seen about starting or performing in a band? What's the most important thing Dewy learns from the kids, and what is the most important thing they learn from him?
Adult Written bydarkknightrises232 July 14, 2012

Awesome, funny, movie is great but has weed smoking.

At the beginning of the movie a character is thrown off a stage and wakes up in bed with a black eye. Lots of gangsters hang around the performing place and they like to smoke pot.
Parent Written byshanerocks April 6, 2012

MY FAVORITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME!

This movie is great! very well done. i recommend it!
Parent Written byMovieAmma September 3, 2011

Not for a good moral but a good laugh

Movie is funny but low on good lessons. The characters are endearing and while Jack Black's character gets caught for his misdeeds, he doesn't really get punished.
Parent Written bymusicmama4 July 8, 2011

Great music and humor. Just talk to your kids about the dishonesty they pass off as ok.

Our family LOVES this movie. Jack Black is an adorable imbecile who learns some things during movie. The kids are cute, and learn to love music. Just talk to your kids about the dishonesty that they pass off as ok. Do you think the end justifies the means, or is dishonesty just wrong? Why? And I don't know why they had to use so much language for a show obviously aimed at kids.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 7, 2010

good story,PG level film.

Educator Written bynashvillemom March 7, 2010

We watched this with our 9 year old daughter and we all loved it. There is some swearing (ass, d*mn, b*tch), some very mild drug references, very little innuendo. In fact, I was surprised it was rated PG-13 -- should have been just PG. The message is mostly positive and the bad behavior (drinking, slacking) is portrayed as "loser" behavior. The teacher learns as well as the students, but it's not really a lesson movie. Just good fun.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byehsing@rogers.com January 19, 2010

Great for teens and up

I love this movie. My 8yr daughter also loves it. She is mature enough not to repeat the mild swearing. After repeated viewing, she wanted a clearer definition of "groupie". I've avoided that one.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byrobinpeggy April 9, 2008

Good messages about individuality and growing up

If your child likes music, particularly rock music, this is a fun movie to watch together. Although there is some drinking, the filmmakers take care to state that rock music is not about "getting wasted" and there are many positive social messages about acceptance of diversity and adolescent awkwardness. Joan Cusack is terrific as always, and the talent of the 10-year-old performers is amazing.
Adult Written byPanya April 9, 2008

Fun

This wasn't, by any means, a fantastic movie -- but it was really very entertaining. Jack Black is very funny, as were several of the kids, and the musical scenes were good. Because they put off schoolwork, I don't think young kids should see this.
Adult Written bykmartha April 9, 2008

Good for young kids

I watched this movie with my 8 year old daughter and felt completely fine. I had read the reviews before hand. The only possible iffy part is that the main character is somewhat of a slacker and isn't following the rules. It all works out in the end though. A good family film and my daughter enjoyed it.
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008

Adult Written byJennifer H. April 9, 2008

The children in this movie are amazing!

We love this film. It's so much fun to watch Jack Black interact with the kids. There is some mildly offensive language, but we let our kids watch this movie because of the amazingly talented children in it.
Adult Written byPal101 April 9, 2008

Terrible movie

Thought its boring its certanly a good movie for kids.