Parent reviews for Scooby-Doo: Camp Scare

Spooky stories come to life in camp-set Scooby movie.

Wondering if Scooby-Doo: Camp Scare is OK for your kids?

Adult Written bySarah E. June 11, 2018

Sexist

This movie is horrifyingly sexist. It includes male characters telling female characters to "go back to being pretty" after they help solve the mystery, shows women showing off to men in skimpy bikinis and them gawking at their bodies, and includes a woman throwing open a trench coat to reveal very tight clothing. If it was real life, that woman can wear what ever she wants to, it's her choice. But that character is not real and does not have her own opinions. This movie was written and produced by middle aged men. It's sexist and children are being influenced by it.

Parent Written byloved1liberty July 6, 2011

No Way

Parent of a 5-year-old Written byhappykids March 25, 2011

too violent and scary for young kids

My five year old stopped this movie while she was watching it and told me it was not appropriate for her and that it was way to scary. I watched part of it and I really think that it is more for older kids, maybe even teens. Very violent and on the edge of your seat scary. Oh, and the flirting and skimpy outfits! Wish I would have known...

Parent Written byewe2lambs November 2, 2010

Disappointing

my 5 yo was really looking forward to this, sadly both kids were disappointed and lost interest, our 5yo was really scared about the axe weilding guy - really not good

Parent of a 4-year-old Written byJennyrf October 21, 2010
This movie was truly dreadful and the fact that this website recommends it for ages 5-8 makes me question all its other recommendations. Stupid, sexist steretypes (girls in skimpy bikinis, boys becoming idiots while ogling them) are just the beginning of the problems with this movie. It is WAY too scary for younger kids. My son loves scary stuff and has never said that anything was too scary for him, but he actually asked me to turn this off - a first for him. It was like a cartoon version of a teenage slasher movie.

Parent of a 3 and 5-year-old Written byTTMa October 19, 2010

For teens, not younger

This might be good for young teens, but not for kids under 8. I can't believe they said 6 yr for age appropriate.

Parent of a 5-year-old Written bylegendr October 3, 2010
Unfortunatly I watched this movie at the same time as my 6 year old and if I had seen it before her she wouldn't have seen it. I felt that the axe and the sound that came witht the axe made me feel like I was watching the movie scream except in cartoon. My daughter said she wasn't scared because she loves Scooby Doo but the violence threat in the movie I feel is just too much for a 6 year old to watch

Adult Written byremsratters January 5, 2020

Fun for all ages (within reason)

I adored this movie as a kid. It did frighten me a little bit, but I watched it countless times in my childhood and I can still remember it nearly word for word to this day. Watching it again now I enjoy it just as much.
There is one short scene that’s slightly objectionable, wherein Daphne and Velma reveal their bathing suits to their friends, and the camera lingers on them in a suggestive manner. But this is brief, and it never bothered me or affected me in any way as a kid.
There is also some questionable, borderline sexist dialogue, but it is delivered by the villain of the film who is clearly painted as being in the wrong. Again, this never impacted me or bothered me as a child.
Overall, this is a wonderfully fun movie that the young and young at heart can both enjoy. If you can buy into the more than slightly ridiculous plot twist, you’ll have a wonderful time with this. I would recommend it for anybody older than 7, maybe younger if your child is unfazed by slightly scary imagery.
Adult Written byMatt The Pirate August 31, 2018

SCARY GOOD

The gang goes to visit his old summer camp and the story is hilarious because Fred's camp is the run down junky camp and right up the river is the ritzy upscale camp that is rival. I don't remember details cuz I saw this a while ago but I know it was one of my favorites of the Scooby direct-to-video movies.
Adult Written byhelsingmusique October 6, 2014

Camp Scare

It's a haunted camp, I really am not bothered and never have been by cartoon violence, I have been watching cartoons as a child and none of the violence as affected me. This is no different, I didn't see any problem with it, the only thing I think a kid could be scared of is the Spector in the canyon which may be a little freaky to some kids, I think it really depends on what you let your children watch as a norm, had this been released in the early 90s, I would have watched this as a child like I watched all Scooby-Doo movies available to me and none of them bothered me, even Zombie Island which I do know has scared more than one person in their lifetime. No movie will appeal to all children, and this will be no different.