Parent reviews for Scooby-Doo

Too scary for most kids, too dumb for most teens.

Adult Written byViolet_Rose August 19, 2018

Uncomfortable...

The film itself isn't terribly good, but the casting of Shaggy, Scooby and Velma is pretty much spot on. It's not massively scary, but not recommended for very young children. However, it at times feels aimed more at teenagers than kids, and feels uncomfortable for a film based on a children's cartoon in a number of ways...
1) The skimpy, tight, low cut, cleavage emphasising outfits on the women...Who is that aimed at?!
2) Fred and Daphne switch bodies and Fred looks down at his new found breasts and states in a grossly perverted voice "heeey, I can look at myself naked...", while pulling his / her top open to sneak a peek. He then continues to rub his new female body, including some breast groping, while the real Daphne (in Fred's body) protests, telling him to stop touching her body, and Fred ignores her lack of consent.
3) Scrappy Doo tells Fred "you don't have the scrote for this job" and appears to grab his own crotch below camera and vaguely thrust as he says it. There's also a scene where Fred jokes to Scooby something like "this is more embarrassing than the time you were caught cleaning your beans" in the middle of a party.
4) There are a couple of drug references, including Fred freaking out at the situation he is in and telling Shaggy in a mock stoner voice he thinks someone spiked his drink, and begging Shaggy to "talk me down, man. Talk me down" from the high.
5) Daphne states she's going to open a can of "whoop ass", and Scrappy shouts "I would have got away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling sons of..." before being cut off just short of 'the B word". Fred at one point also uses the word "b-yotch", which is obviously the subtle form of 'the B word'.
All might be worth being aware of and keeping in mind when deciding if this film is appropriate for your child.

Adult Written bysupermonkey9440 February 17, 2012

Pretty Good!

I loved it! It's not an Oscar winner, but they did a great job casting live versions of the animated characters, and the plot was pretty good. I'm 18, and I still love it.
Parent Written byMonicaMom August 28, 2009
It seems like other raters including CommonSense Media didn't actually watch the movie! I only saw the last half, maybe less, and it was awful. It was scary and violent for young children, but to me that wasn't the worst part. Many girls were dressed in very skimpy clothes (extremely short shorts, lots of cleavage showing, etc.). After reading the CommonSense Media rating, I let my 8-year-old daughter watch the movie with her father because she likes Scooby-Doo. As only one other rater seemed to notice, there was a part where Fred and Daphne's bodies were switched. Fred, inside Daphne's body, said very happily/sexily: "Hey, I can look at myself naked!" while he (she) looked down and smiled at Daphne's breasts/cleavage. Then Daphne, in Fred's body, watched Fred (in her body) touch himself and said "get your hands off me!" but Fred was very disrespectful, wouldn't listen to her and kept touching her body (which he was in). Later she said "Fred keeps touching me!" There was also one subtle reference to drugs/being high that I noticed, when Fred's character says to Shaggy (in a paranoid voice like someone who is high and hallucinating), "Listen Man, someone must've spiked my root beer last night!" Then he assumes it's a bad trip and he's high and asks Shaggy to help him come down from his drug high he thinks he's on: "Talk me down, man, talk me down"!

Adult Written bynduns August 2, 2009

It's okay

Not a great film, but it did manage to make me laugh. WHY DID SCRAPPY HAVE TO BE THE VILLAIN!? A) He's an annoying character and B) He's not supposed to be evil. Where did the writers get this idea that Scrappy's arch-nemesis is Scooby? I thought Scooby was his hero. Now to mention something I'm amazed Commonsense missed as the film put a lot of emphasis on it during certain aspects: Sexual jokes involving Daphne and Fred. In one scene, Fred ends up in Daphne's body and grins saying "I can see myself naked" and there's constant scenes in which Daphne keeps telling Fred to "stop touching her". Seriously, CS, how do you not notice this stuff?

Adult Written byKingscrappyrex December 13, 2019

Best movie ever

Best movie ever I really loved that scrappy doo was in it and tbh was the best part of the whole movie and it was sad when shaggy stopped scrappy from absorbing all the energy and I was wondering what he would do with what he did absorbe and when scrappy started growing I was think wow this is so good and the best part of scrappys transformation was when his belly got so huge and jiggly but when he nearly had scoobys soul to complet his transformation it was sad that scrappy never got to fully compete his transformation and when he lost and shaggy pulled the damon ritus out of his chest and scrappy shrunk back to normal it was sad to see the great and mighty scrappy rex loose it was really upset me. Scrappy should have won and completed his transformation so we could have seen it all and his powerful body and sed how great he would have been in his complet transformed body.

Adult Written bypope_francis October 2, 2019

My kids LOVE this movie

Common sense media needs to correct their section on sex. The scene goes "Heyyyy I can look at myself naked." not "Heyyyy I can look at myself in the mirror." Common sense prides itself on its accuracy, so I think it needs to correct this egregious error ASAP or risk losing its credibility as a trustworthy site for concerned parents. This movie is legitatemy funny and has the smartest script of any movie I have ever seen. It is my children's generations's Godfather.

Parent of a 7-year-old Written byCwf1997 January 6, 2019

After reading James Gunn's article, it made me reconsider this.

The movie is just a crude parody with marijuana references, profanity, violence, some sexy moments too hot for Scooby-Doo. In fact, it nearly got an R-rating.

Adult Written byCeceroyal October 21, 2018

Adult Written byRarityfan October 10, 2018

Scooby dooby doo

Good for a Halloween family party. Some scares. For consumerism you can get thousands and thousands of Scooby Doo toys, VHS, DVD and on.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byEllie D. July 22, 2017

Just fine

Many parents have said that girls on this wear clothing too "sexy" but that's really not an issue in this movie. Also one comment said it was inappropriate that daphnia said "this goast is giving me a wedgie" with visible underwear, but seriously isn't wedgies just part of being a kid, and her panties are not seen.
Adult Written byBecca Myers 23 February 8, 2017

Scobby-Doo

We think it is good.
Adult Written byvalentinD August 23, 2016

scooby-doo !!!!! yeah

perfect movie for everyones.

Adult Written byx_decipher_8 February 16, 2016

Nostalgic

This movie brings back good memories for me. Obviously not the best movie around, though I'm biased in this case. Some suggestive language and mild violence, but quite family friendly overall.

Adult Written byAidan S. August 7, 2015
Adult Written byhelsingmusique October 6, 2014

It's Quite Ironic Actually

I enjoyed this film when I was younger, of course now I see the flaws from the horrible CGI, to the script to the actual villain, however I still enjoy this film perhaps on nostalgia feelings. Ironically however, this live action movie with the second one turned out to be the better of the two as the live action series was rebooted a few years back and the CGI got worse somehow. The sexual content in this movie I find will go over kids heads, they won't get the double meanings, it doesn't matter to them they are more focused on the story than the sexual innuendos.
Adult Written byRoznar July 27, 2012

It's not Scooby-Doo. It's something bad.

Adult Written byChuck Reid March 16, 2012

Great adapation of a great cartoon!

This movie was SO COOL! The characters were funny as well as the jokes.
Parent of a 13-year-old Written byDr. Weird September 11, 2010

Pushing the limits of PG.

Violence: The creatures may scare kids. Some intense scences, espacially for a PG rated film.
Sex: When Fred gets inside Daphines body he says "Hey. I can look at myself naked". Some other sex related issues.

Adult Written bytalfonso July 10, 2010

Disgusting, Yet Good!

Although I don't recommend this movie for those under ten, this movie is a great watch! The part when Scrappy urinates on Daphne cracks me up every time!

Adult Written byhdofu December 8, 2009

Not really for kids, more a satire for older Fans

In all honesty this movie is not appropriate for children at all. To start off, they play Velma off as a Lesbian, there are blatant references to pot smoking (Shaggy is with a girl named Mary Jane for crying out loud). The movie could have been good had they targeted adults or just significantly cut back the toilet humor, (the farting contest and burping contest really ruined it for me). Overall if you watched scooby doo as a kid, put the kids to bed before watching this if you don't want them exposed to stuff bordering on PG-13.