Parent reviews for Screenagers

Docu about devices is relevant, if not revolutionary.

Adult Written bytyler t. May 16, 2017

Very bad and cringy

Waste of time with bad acting and dosen't answer the problems they adress.

Adult Written byNathan M. February 16, 2017

Don't Bother

This film was an hour of a one sided argument of false or made up information

Adult Written byClark W December 8, 2018

Informative about the potentially hazardous effects of media use, short term and long term.

Must-see for this generation of kids and their parents. Media isn't a harmless tool when used excessively and without guidelines.
Parent Written byAngela T. June 11, 2018

A Must See - Educates Beyond The Family - Perfect For Community Decision Makers

Screenagers offers a compelling opportunity to begin an educated conversation in the community. The documentary educates families and adolescents, but it also offers education for local communities - teachers, schools, counselors, leaders and decision makers. Smart. Scholarly. Relevant. Packages all the chatter into an informative storyline.

Adult Written byRachel K. March 28, 2018

ew

nah m8

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byEricka M. January 4, 2017

Great and important film

This is a very important film about the impact of cell phones and multi tasking on children and tweets! It's a mothers journey into how a smart phone can impact her daughter and her development and how to navigate the choices she has around parenting and technology! It's shows both a family making important choices around handling the computer and phone in their home and how schools are trying to embrace teaching in a technology world! For any parent who wants advice from a mothe and doctor or who is just curious about phones in their child's life this is a must see and important film!

Adult Written byHanna B. November 30, 2016

Covers an important issue surrounding teens- a must see

This movie is a must see for all members of the family. Growing up in the technology age had a huge impact on my teenage years. My friends and I experienced cyberbullying, struggled with our body images, and often spent hours on our phones when we were together. Screenagers addresses all of these issues and how technology is perpetuating them. Supported by interviews with scholarly experts and with her own kids, Dr. Ruston’s film is personal and informative. This movie will make all families want to rethink how technology is used in their home and schools, especially after hearing the startling statistics that Screenagers includes. Every middle school in the country should be screening this movie.

Adult Written bySusan B. November 7, 2016

Loved this movie

I think the movie is exceptional. I had a real understanding of creating a healthy relationship with your teenager--the ups and downs and challenges--around technology. I felt grateful for the movie. You should watch it with your teenager and then create a technology contract together. In my house, I'm as much a culprit as my teenagers.
Adult Written by13112026 April 2, 2016

So helpful!

I have been to a lot of talks/seminars on screen use and kids - and this film was the most useful and engaging. The film is engaging, funny, fascinating and helpful. I appreciated having a medium in which my daughter and I could watch together. As parents, we are worried about this new screen culture they are growing up in and I am more equipped because of this film. It is so relevant and on-target, serious in its warnings, but not alarmist in an unhelpful way. Great film.
Adult Written byjennifercunningham February 24, 2020

Brings out the interesting corruptness in the American Economy.

I am a parent of 3 girls, all of whom are between ages 14 and 18. I am a hedge fund manager at JP Morgan Asset Management, and are very aware of the screen time debate. The only issue I have with the debate is that my fellow industry professionals keep pushing STEM and computer programming. In order to be good at programming or basically anything STEM based, you have to sit hours at a computer acquiring skill and then sit many hours a day in front of a screen when you get an actual job. I personally use a computer with 6 monitors to monitor transactions and order fillings. The only issue I have with the whole screen time debate is that people my age (I'm 52) seem to not care about screen time if you are using it to somehow provide benefit to the economy. It's almost an aspect of corruptness, and it really angers me to see that basically no one cares about your well being or health when you are working. We as parents only seem to care about leisure activity, and activity that our children use their devices for that is different than what we had as children. If we're going to keep fighting screen time, we need to fight against the STEM, especially computer science/programming industry, and keep consistent with our values.
Adult Written bySoWeBackInTheMine December 16, 2019

Terrible!

This movie was scripted and had no positive parts of smartphones. I seem to wonder why the people in the movie were kids that were being payed or 30 and up adults. Also I saw a kid saying that she will show this movie to HER KIDS.
Adult Written byKarrenW February 28, 2019

This is an awful film teaching unhealthy and unrealistic attitudes

This "documentary" teaches parents to ignore their children's views and to assume the worst of their children and technology. The scene were the parents sent their adult son to "internet rehab" really ticked me off. Technology is an essential part of our children's lives, and you cannot control every aspect of it forever. The parents in this movie are unreasonable, unrealistic and unhealthy. They teach that it is fine to create rules for your children without their opinion, and to abruptly change them without any consideration of the child's opinion. I'm not saying kids should have all of the power, I'm just saying that these children were old enough to have some control over their lives.
Adult Written byNeveil Finchmeyer October 19, 2018

Do not watch this movie

Do not let your kids watch this movie. It was required at my kids school and it was just an argument on one side. A true waste of time if you ask me. Very stereo typical of teenagers of today. This movie should not have been created. My kids were forced to go, even when they did not have phones, which makes it completely irrelevant. Creators of this movie are obviously are jealous of how teenagers get to have the ability to use phones all the time. Do not watch this movie. Terrible.

Adult Written byConnor D. May 29, 2018

Absolutely terrible movie.

Completely filled with fake news. If your kid wants to play roblox then you can let them. Propaganda

Parent of a 9 and 11-year-old Written byBarb K. May 9, 2017
Parent of a 6 and 10-year-old Written byvanessa p. January 3, 2017

Informative and relevant

We were able to have a viewing of this film at a small theater in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. Having met the writer earlier in the week and becoming interested in her work. It was so cool to watch with our kids. A great discussion starter on how to balance "screen" time. Amazing that there are a lot of us out there who want to make sure we assist our children to self regulate in life and keep their imagination in play while navigating the technological world we live in. Great job to those who created this film!

Adult Written byPeter S. December 15, 2016

A moniker of our times!

Wow! This is a phenomenal movie that captures the defining challenge of parenting today and offers pragmatic solutions. A must see for fathers who can be tone deaf on the issue..

Parent Written byHannes K. December 15, 2016

Must-see!

My wife and I saw the movie at the Calgary International Film festival and we knew immediately that the topic of electronics use and impact on families and kids was an issue we had not paid enough attention to, sharing this very informative and educational movie was a great way of giving back to our community and get everybody in our community to work together to deal with Screenagers.

Adult Written byBrett M. December 6, 2016

Informative, Interesting, Necessary

This movie should be watched by all parents, prospective parents, and people that may, at some point in their lives, interact with a human.
Adult Written byWendy L. December 5, 2016

Excellent

It's a great documentary. I would like to one more perspective added -- expert/eye doctors opinion about the extensive use of screens and usage of screens in the dark.