Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Seabiscuit

An inspiring story for teens and up.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

A Moving and Well-Casted Telling of a Great Historical Tale...

Anyway, SEABISCUIT is a great movie. It is chock full of positive messages and is, in itself, an inspiring story of hope and courage. The story starts by telling the stories of three men: Jeff Bridges, Chris Cooper, and Tobey Maguire. By a twenty minutes into the film, their lives have intersected and one "person" (okay, maybe not a person) has connected them all. That person is Seabiscuit. Always small and full of attitude, Seabiscuit, though bred well, has never been a racing horse. All that changes as these three men come together to train him, jockey him, and own him, and somehow, each man comes out of his lonliness and sorrow to hop again. The only violence is when Maguire is pulled by a horse through all sorts of materials, resulting in a shattered leg, rendering him cripple for the rest of his life. Language is constant, with over 40 profanities, most of them "g*dd**n" or "s**t". There is a brief sexual situation to, where it is said that Maguire has payed a woman for sex. We see them in bed, both clothed, until we see the woman disrobe from the back. We then see a (due to the character's blindness in one eye) an intensely blurred front. Seabiscuit is a very good movie. If you can get past the one iffy sex scene and the language, it is bursting with lessons and morals worth hearing. And it's fun to watch. Horses really are amazing animals. Highly recommended. For more horse racing for young kids, check out DREAMER (PG).
Adult Written bybaconc April 9, 2008

Beautiful film

This is a beautiful film that is loyal to the book. Our children were 10 and 13 when they saw it with us and both were entranced by the movie. Even the film's rougher side presents great opportunities for positive lessons. More than anything, it's a story about loyalty, hard work, compassion and the beauty of a symbiotic friendship that helps three men overcome loneliness and the darkness in their lives.
Adult Written byJegodby April 9, 2008
Adult Written byhmpers April 9, 2008

Lots of teaching opportunities for the whole family

Note to the follks who are concerned about alcohol and cirgarette consumption: You have lost sight of the historic significance of the subject. With our children we used this as an opportunity to explain that cigarettes were not revealed to tthe public to be dangerous until 1963 and that cigarette consumption was much more common then than now. Also, alcohol and Prohibition played a large and important part in our nation's history during the Depression. This movie will give you a chance to talk to your kids about those important themes and others such as perserverance, kindness, struggle, and self-reliance. We took intelligent 8 & 11 year old children and they never squirmed once during the 2 hour 20 minute film and they engaged in a lively and meaningful discussion about the film afterwards. Plus, it was beautifully shot and well-acted, even though some of the themes were somewhat overstated (something else we also talked about with our kids.) See it and TALK ABOUT IT!
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008