Parent reviews for Secretariat

Inspiring true story about an amazing woman and her horse.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byA co mom October 18, 2010
This movie has a bunch of issues for younger kids. There are deaths and burials (of people), a birth scene (of Secretariat), in which the Vet's hand is inside the mother horse, and an announcement at the end that Secretariat went on to sire more than 600 horses. So if you have not already had these conversations, be prepared to have your children ask all about funerals, burials, horse reproduction and why the vet needed a hand inside the mom of Secretariat.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byMzSapphire March 12, 2011

Awesome movie

Absolutely awesome movie.

Parent of a 4, 6, and 11 year old Written bydart10 May 1, 2011

Great female role model

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bylititzmom March 24, 2011

Great family movie

Loved it. My 7-yr-old daughter and 9-yr-old son weren't really interested in watching it, so I told them fine, I was going to, they could watch w/me or go play or read a book. Within 10 minutes they were completely hooked into the movie. At one point I wanted to fast-forward to get to a race already, and they yelled at me not to--didn't want to miss a minute of the movie. There were beautifully slower-paced moments, lots of dialogue, but the storytelling was so well done that it was never boring. Great messages, and fun to cheer on the amazing horse. A terrific movie with only two bad words (that I recall)--"h" word or "d" word.

Adult Written bycodgerX August 31, 2016

Solid movie, good example of a strong woman

This is a movie that adults and kids alike can enjoy, which of itself makes it worthwhile. The heroine is able to be a strong woman and do something important to her in an era when women were widely denigrated. Great role model for all.

Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bykaloren November 29, 2010

Wonderful family movie--new classic!

My girls and I loved this movie. It told a great story about a mom who tried to follow a dream and she succeeded. She may have sacrificed time with her family, but in the end they come together and support her in her new role. Great movie and the audience really gets into it--everyone, laughed, cried and cheered. We all clapped when it was over! My 5 year old was a bit bored at times, but we sat off to the side and back and she had room to move around and then she'd resettle to watch more as the movie re-engaged her mind.

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymrsfreeze October 4, 2010
I took my kids, who are almost 10 and 7 1/2, to the sneak preview the other night. They were fascinated by the real life aspect of this story, but I am sure they really didn't get or engage with what was going on in the life of Penny Tweedy, the owner of Secretariat, played by Diane Lane. They were, however, riveted by the horse himself, whenever he was onscreen, whether it was during an exciting race or even just getting a bath. They also laughed quite a bit at the John Malkovich character, the horse's trainer, who is very colorful (quite literally in his bizarre outfits) and in language. None of it bad, but he just has a blunt way with words that kids seem to love. For adults, it's a nice, feel-good movie, but a little flat and somewhat slow in parts. If your kids are the kind to get engrossed in a story, any story, then I'd give this a chance with them. If they need non-stop action, forget it. I will say that it's nice to be able to see a fairly grown-up movie with the whole family without worrying about bad language, violence or sexual content of any sort.

Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written byenajleborts July 21, 2012

Great for 8+ , a little sad in parts for under 8 yolds

Loved this movie myself and both of my daughters (7 and 11) loved it too. It was a little over the head of my 7 year old and the death of the main character's parents was hard for her to bear. But overall it was a wonderful film and an uplifting watch.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bykaykay101 October 21, 2010

perfect for ages 7+

i really loved secretariat because its a kids movie, its got a little language and some issues involving money,and finances,and some fighting going on beetween the adults.

Drinking, drugs & smoking
Educator Written byJane Fleck October 14, 2010

Secretariat is a great film

Liked it. Positive. Educational. A few quibbles with minor horse details (as a horse owner, seeing a 'trainer' light clippings on fire and then walk away in a barn filled with horses horrified me) but I left the theater thinking this was a great film. I recommend it highly. Most of the members of clubponypals.com agreed.

Parent Written byDavid1984 February 3, 2012

Luck: Secretariat for adults

Great Article! Secretariat as you mentioned show the fight against sexism in horse racing, and is a great role model movie for kids. However, us the adults should check out Luck a new show on HBO, Secretariat without the cheesyness of Disney.
Adult Written byLowe's man May 30, 2017

Old school Disney style mixing the best of old school values with the best of new school values.

Ordinarily a movie about someone who's a destined winner right from day one would be boring. Not this time, as the racing is exciting all by itself. It also shows a woman trying to get accepted in what was seen at the time as a man's field, which wasn't always popular or acceptable back then. Kids need to see that, even then, women who worked hard enough got accepted in what was seen in 1973 as male territory. This movie is also a reflection of the Walt Disney Company in the pre-Eisner era.
Adult Written byUeli B. December 9, 2016

So revreshing

An excellent refreshing Film

Adult Written byterra100 November 20, 2010
I really liked this movie. The performances are stellar. And there are many positive messages. I was a bit troubled by some underlying character/relationship flaws of Diane Lane's character that were not explored, along the theme of sacrificing family for career and what really happened between her and her husband. But, I went to a screening of this film and listened to Diane Lane's Q&A afterward, and the explanation was that this is a Disney film which is only exploring the positive messages.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBeeshu April 3, 2011

Messages for all ages

Love this movie. Had wonderful messages for all ages.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byRoxy099 March 12, 2011

Older kids will love, younger kids will be bored in between

I saw this on DVD with my 5 year old. I loved it but he was bored as a lot of it went over his head. I think if he were a little older he would have loved it. He really enjoyed the racing scenes and was cheering for the horse but the parts in between he really had no interest in.

Adult Written byBa movie girl January 28, 2011

It is a good movie for adults and kids to watch

I loved it

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bycyndifug8 November 4, 2010

We loved it!

Very enjoyable true story. Even though I knew the outcome of most of the races, I still found myself on the edge of my seat during the race scenes. Very well done, and a great family movie! My 9 and 12 year old absolutely adored the movie and gushed about it for days after we saw it.

Parent of a 8 year old Written bylrcarter414 January 24, 2012

We love this movie and watch it often.

This is a great all around family movie. It has a few adult situations but I feel that in parenting, I can explain to my son that these are adult behaviors and just because we see it in a movie, on TV or in a game does not mean we need to immolate it. There are so many great things going on here, that it makes it very easy to over look the negatives. Life is messy, I would rather that we deal with these issues at home so that should we come across something similar in a real life situation we are properly prepared to understand what is and isn't appropriate.

Drinking, drugs & smoking
Adult Written byDisplaced Texas Mom November 11, 2010
This is the best movie I have seen all year. My kids really enjoyed this movie too. Several good role models, historical reference to the times, a great story showing great values. The best part is that it is based on a true story. Its nice to tell your kids that what they are watching actually happened and it was all good. I understand there is some concern over the trauma involving her elderly parents. Kids need to know that those things happen in life. This is one of the few movies that we will purchase on DVD. Also, it seems important to note that I was completely shocked that Disney put this one out. Most Americans appreciate references to faith and during these troubling times more and more turn to faith...time for hollywood to "get the picture".