Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Shazam!

Superhero comedy is charming, with some scary/violent parts.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byEMDUERR March 23, 2019

Very funny, family values, some scary demon creatures, no sex

I saw an early release of this film today with our 10 year old who is easily frightened. I always look to common sense media to see if a movie will be too scary for my own son, so I decided to return the favor today. Despite the PG 13 rating, overall I do not think this movie was scary, especially in comparison to other superhero movies, but I will go over the scary and violent scenes so you can determine for yourself if your child can view it: 1. There was a car accident scene and a man was thrown though the windshield. He did not die, but was bloody and it was jarring. 2. The villain controlled demon-like creatures which were supposed to be the seven deadly sins. These creatures were monotone with red glowing eyes but large and rather frightening, and would battle civilians and the hero (known as Shazam). 3. There was one very intense scene with the seven deadly sins attacked civilians. This scene also had fratricide and patricide, which obviously could be distressing to see. (I think that without this scene, the movie could have been PG, and without this scene it would be comparable in scariness to the 2015 Goosebumps movie starring Jack Black). 4. There were some intense action moments of peril. 5. There was shooting, but the hero is bullet proof, so he did not get hurt. But if your child will not understand not to imitate that behavior, I would not recommend the movie. 6. There were scenes when the main character was being subjected to painful "tests" by his friend, to see what his superpowers were. Again, if your child will not understand not to imitate that behavior, I would not recommend the movie. Other things which MAY be considered inappropriate are the fact that the main character Bobby is slightly disrespectful of authority, and he goes into a "Gentleman's Club" although we only see the outside, we do not see any scantily clad women at all. What did the movie NOT have? The movie did not have any blood as a result of violence (except for one character getting a cut) . There is no swearing, although in one scene the "F" word is obviously bleeped out, said over television which the characters are watching. Other than seeing the outside of the Gentleman's Club, there is no sex and no allusions to sex nor anything sexy at all. There is no drinking, smoking, nor drugs. There is no bloody violence. Overall though this was a great movie. It was funny. We were laughing throughout. It also had good messages about friendship and family, as the main character Bobby becomes part of a foster family who he learns to bond with and love, and he learns how to become a good friend. I would recommend this movie if you think your child will not be too scared of the demon characters and understands not to "try this at home" (referring to the superhero power tests). Looking forward to the sequel.

Adult Written byblumerlamotte April 6, 2019

Unacceptably Scary

As other parents mentioned, CSM really missed the mark with this review and rated it as okay for younger viewers. This was definitely a PG13 movie and the Boardroom scene should've bumped the rating up to an R. I understand there isn't much blood or gore, but the amount of violence is still completely unacceptable and scary. There is an explicit scene where a terrifying monster bites the head off a human as someone else is thrown out a window from a highrise and all the other humans in the room are annihilated. Thankfully there isn't much sex or innuendo. However the two scenes that include the Gentlemen's Club were not needed and did not go over the heads of my middle schoolers (which was a startling realization as a parent. That's a conversation to come...) There was more unnecessary, bad language that I anticipated. I can handle the occasional sh*t or da*n but they were liberally sprinkled in along with "you can suck my [email protected]", as well as @ss and a tirade of f-bombs dropped by Santa Claus. Sure they were beeped out, but everyone in the theater understood what was going on. As an adult I enjoyed the movie and the humor but I would never have allowed my sensitive 12 year old to see it had I know the extent of the violence or references to stripping. I was *REALLY* disappointed with CSM's review. I think they need to reconsider their rating on this movie and update it asap. I have relied on this website for years and would hate that so many parents feel duped by this rating.

Adult Written byCat1584 March 23, 2019

Advertised as silly but not for kids!

Only made it an hour into the movie and had to leave with my 10 year old and his friend because it became extremely violent and dark. A man was thrown out of a high rise building and then demons were released and started eating people by biting their heads off. Definitely not for younger kids.

Adult Written byjenonator April 6, 2019

Very scary demons, swearing, strip club

Not at all the family movie advertised. 10 yr old ocovered her eyes half the movie and is sleeping with me tonight. Demons are far scarier than they should be in a kids movie. Horror show. Kid finds out his mother abandoned him by choice, shows the entrance of a strip club with woman's neon form a bent over, .Shows heads being ripped off and faces being shot. Note the trailers for other movies are 20 minutes long and show Charlize Thron discussing favorite sexual positions. Why can't they make a decent family movie? Hollyweird sux

Parent Written byT B April 6, 2019

Disturbing

This movie should have been rated R. The trailer did not depict how dark and disturbing this movie was. We left early because it was too much. Take caution if you plan to watch this movie with anyone under the age of 18 and anyone over 18 that is sensitive to violence.

Adult Written byLuke Harris April 4, 2019

WARNING PARENTS!

I honestly think the ‘Great for families’ seal of approval is way off for this movie. We walked out after 40 minutes... we’re so disappointed because we were really looking forward to Shazam. The boardroom scene is HORROR. 7 towering demons intimidate, decapitate and murder every executive with a level of jump scene frightfulness that is way beyond the age 11+ age range that Common Sense Media indicated. Preceding that a scientist burst into flames and her face turns towards the screen screaming in terror and pain while her face melts into a skull. Even the opening scene featured a very confronting car crash after a father and older brother gang up on a younger boy, taunting him, calling him a ‘[email protected]’ (thanks Dad). And then blaming him for the crash. I get that it’s character development... but yikes, talk about about over the top! WE. WERE. SO. KEEN. But had to walk out. Our kids ages are 9, 11, 12 and 13. And they unanimously thanked us for leaving when we did. No tears, no tantrums... they were grateful that we pulled the pin. Such a shame, because the humor and action until that point looked really promising. Oh well, onward to LEGO Movie 2 to try to resurrect family night!

Adult Written byMomtwogirls April 6, 2019

Good movie - FOR 13+ year OLDS

We had to leave the movie part way through. The two 12 year olds I was with (one of my daughters and her friend) spent much of what we did see with their hands over their eyes. There is an absolutely horrid scene early on in the movie that was much more graphic than it needed to be - very scary sin monsters - biting the head off of someone - pouncing on people. I should have taken that as a clue that maybe this movie really deserves the PG-13 rating it got. I really think Common Sense media needs to up the age recommendation on this one. Another reviewer wrote: "The boardroom scene is HORROR. . . (our kids) unanimously thanked us for leaving when we did. No tears, no tantrums... they were grateful that we pulled the pin. Such a shame, because the humor and action until that point looked really promising." I completely agree with this other reviewer - we enjoyed the movie and it had lots of positive messages when there weren't sin monsters on the screen - unfortunately I read the CSM reviews the day before that review was posted. Wish I had seen that review before we went to the theater - could have saved some time, money, and not scared the pants off the kids I took.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byDori in SF April 7, 2019

Horrified my usually unafraid 7-yr-old

My daughter has been doing well with live action movies for a few years now. She’s been unfazed by all the Marvel films (though we didn’t show her the very disturbing more recent Avengers entry), Harry Potter films, Fantastic Beasts, Jurassic Park, all Star Wars films, etc. She was absolutely terrorized by the demon creature scenes in this one, including ding the decapitation. She was also extremely upset that Santa was targeted (he let loose a bleeped f-bomb too which made her sad and confused her). We were going to take her out but she begged us not to - only because she explained that if she didn’t see the whole thing resolved she would remain terrorized by those monsters and would definitely have nightmares (!). Please don’t take your littles to this! The CSM review of this one mentioning younger kids would like it is flat out WRONG. I’ve never had to walk out of a film or even cover her eyes before but we had to do it many places in this film. Please don’t chance it.

Adult Written byKristymathis April 5, 2019

Not a good kids movie

The strip club stuff and people burning to ash was too much but the Santa stuff was horrific. Every other word was bleeped!!!

Adult Written byStotte April 7, 2019

Too graphic for children

I brought my 7, 10 and 12 year old. They did not enjoy the movie and one asked if we could leave. The graphic violence of the demonic 7 sins was too much. As mentioned by other users their is a board room scene that goes too far. With the creatures eating off heads and torturing the room of people. For part of it you only see behind clouded glass as bodies are sickenly thrown against it to echoes of screaming begging people. The beginning has a rather graphic car wreck, but the intense part is the father taunts and deameans the character then while laying on the ground maimed is blaming the child. The swearing was more than my kids were comfortable with. If you have a child that enjoys horror content, like venom, IT ect they will be fine. If your child is sensitive to demons and dark imagery then I recommend you leave them home. They also make fun of Santa in a way that confuses children that may still believe in him. By the end sequence my kids enjoyed the family coming together and the sins didn’t bother them as much.

Adult Written byamaddal April 6, 2019

Too much for kids under 13, but great for adults...

We brought our 7-year-old daughter and 8-year-old nephew, who are usually able to tolerate mild peril etc. But we had to walk out of the movie at both of their request after about 50 minutes because the boardroom scene was just too terrifying. Horrifying villain with red-eyed demonic monsters throwing people out the skyscraper window violently then disintegrating everyone in the room with creepy smoke in a scary way and one monster bit someone’s head off!!! - we usually subtract a few years because we find the Common Sense ratings a little too conservative for our family, but we think this review way underestimated the fear factor for this movie. Besides that my husband and I enjoyed what we saw and want to go back to see the rest on our own.

Adult Written byLlenny23 April 7, 2019

NOT a kids film!!!

This film is marketed as a funny superhero film. The funny bits are really funny but the demons are very dark and menacing. It’s very intimidating and my son hid his face for every bit including the demons. We persevered for about 40 mins until the boardroom scene when we decided decided it was too much and walked out. The trailer is really misleading.

Adult Written bymomuniverse April 9, 2019

Kids need a little thrill

Every review I've read bemoaning the movie for being "too scary" or "violent" just rubs me the wrong way. For one the movie's rated PG-13 for another, the movie focuses on two 14 year old boys, one of whom gets the body of an adult. Of course they curse, want to try beer and know what happens in a strip club - they're 14 year old boys who think being an adult is cool. Shazam reminds me of those old kid's movies like Jumanji or Goonies where kids go on an adventure and they're faced with the real world. It's funny, it's charming and the kids act like kids!

Adult Written byTryingcn April 6, 2019

Disappointing

We though it would be light hearted and funny. Way more graphic then expected. Definitely not a family film. My 10 year old was very scared at the board room screen and several others. To much language to be a family movie. We should have walked out.

Adult Written byCarolejm March 23, 2019

Fun entertaining family movie

Our whole family really enjoyed this. There was a part near the beginning our 9 year old felt was a bit scary, and there was one swear word, but otherwise a movie about family - whatever family is to you.

Adult Written byEliteMovieCritic April 6, 2019

Funny Main Character, very demonic activity in movie

It’s based on teens in a foster home, Shazam is a 14 year old, that fights very very demonic entities, and lacks the Light to actually be fighting darkness. The movie is a wild joke as a whole. Only with the Power of Light And Christ of course, can you fight darkness. The movie despicably makes a joke about teens going into a strip club twice. And their are Graphic Dark entities throughout the movie. Not satisfying.

Adult Written byGnkirsch April 7, 2019

Way to scary

So, I always go to see superhero movies before I take my kids. In this case I'm glad I did. The movie is great and 95% is pure superhero goodness. But that 5% knocks it into a nonfamily friendly movie. My kids are 8 and 10 and there is NO WAY they would have gotten through that boardroom scene. Does anyone remember the scene in Spiderman 2 with the robot claws of doc Oct waking up at the hospital? This is twice as scary. The appearance of the sin demons is horrifying. The villain is incredibly menacing and then proceeded to throw his brother out a window. Again, the tone is what made it scary. Then the slaughter begins and while the movie is careful never show a drop of blood it does show monster biting the heads off people, people smashed against plate glass windows and the whipped around and grossly distorted. Just prepare your kids for some real horror aspects of the film. The strip club thing is bad and I don't want to have that conversation with my kids about what one is. They also have some conversation about it so it isn't just a passing reference where younger kids might not get it. Your kids will know what a strip club is if they see this movie. Lastly, the Santa scene was a little objectionable because my 8 year old still believes and i wouldn't want her seeing Santa in a bad light. So, if your kids have seen It or any modern day horror film. You'll have no problem. Otherwise be aware that your kids might have nightmares after this film. My first review on CSM. Movie is good. I'm 40 and liked it as much as Aquaman.
Adult Written byNikirocks April 6, 2019

Excellent feel good super hero movie with strong positive messages, if a bit scary in places

I took my nearly 9 year old daughter to see Shazam today and we both thoroughly enjoyed it :) I’m going to start with the need to know stuff, because that’s why we are here, right?! I’ll try not to give to many spoilers whilst still clueing you in on what you need to know. I read reviews on here first to be sure it would be okay. It is certainly true that the trailers don’t show how scary the baddies actually are. The main bad guy has a troop of 7 monsters representing the 7 deadly sins and they are toothy, drooly, growling and at times, downright horrifying. Having said that, my daughter said she found them okay apart from “Greed” whose stomach opens up like a giant mouth! There was quite a bit of swearing but it did not seem gratuitous to me (mainly s**t and one d**k)...although if you don’t want your younger children exposed to swearing, be aware of a tirade of the F word near the end. It was bleeped but it was obvious what the character was saying (spoiler alert: it was from a Christmas Fair Santa, of all people!) There is a fair bit of bullying, some of it pretty shocking because it comes from father to son. It depends on how sensitive your children are to these themes but safe to say the natural parents in this movie are some pretty nasty characters. Very very minimum sexy stuff, and what little there was went straight over my daughters head. Unlike some movies where they put in “grown up” jokes on purpose to slide under the younger viewers radar, Shazam’s humour is pretty cross generational and harmless. In terms of violence, some people have mentioned the car crash scene at the beginning but it was actually minimal in terms of gore/upset. You don’t see anyone getting injured, just someone on the floor in the aftermath with a bit of blood on his head. The psychological bullying in this scene was worse than the physical violence. This is the only blood (apart from a bloody nose) I can remember from the whole film. This is not to say there is no violence - most is slapstick, a small amount is borderline horror. There are several fight scenes between Shazam and the Villian, but they are mostly cartoony and pretty funny. The Sins Monsters are the main source of potential nightmares if your children are sensitive to this sort of thing - pulling no punches, these are properly scary monsters for younger kids and they do threaten children as well as adults in the story. In my opinion, if there is one scene you are going to cover your children’s eyes for it would be the Company Boardroom. I don’t want to give away the story but the monsters are let loose and it was too much for my 9 year old, particularly the decapitation. Someone actually gets their head bitten off! So those are my warnings and I think they are minimal compared to other superhero films. For me, This is a standout superhero movie for younger tweens and teens because of the positive messages. The hero and the bad guy both have a bad start in life but our hero finds the love and support he needs from his new friends and family. The theme of unconditional love and caring is strong throughout and by the end, my daughter was grinning ear to ear from the feel good finale. The overall message is about standing up for what is right and looking after those you love and who love you. The main character learns and develops throughout the film: He is likeable, funny and sometimes flawed and vulnerable and, I think, relatable because he is not perfect. He is a pretty good role model as super heroes go. I would not hesitate to recommend this film as a great experience to share with your tween/young teen kids. This is one you can really enjoy together.....and you will be there to put your hand over their eyes when required!

Adult Written by[email protected] April 7, 2019

Shazam, not for the little one.

Do not take children who are sensitiveto demonic images. We took our 6 year old son who loves Twister and Spiderman. I read the reviews from Common Sense Media and baised on description of the movie. I felt a comfortable taking my son to Shazam with his older cousins. He spent most of the first third of the film with his eyes and ears covered. Not ok. The seven deadly sins monster were demons and very scary.

Parent Written bytwosloth February 16, 2019