All parent member reviews for Sherlock Holmes

Parent of a 9 year old Written byMarcomMom December 18, 2009
For adults, this is a very engrossing movie, with Guy Ritchie's famously edgy directing style. It's not your grandmother's stodgy Sherlock Holmes story--it's very fast, full of action and interesting visual effects, and it's very dark. There's little sexual content, but the one visual you DO get is not over fast and is going to be hard to explain to kids. Lots of slow-motion takes of how Holmes fights his way out of sleuthing situations or his cage-fighting hobby (Yes! Really!), with blood and sounds of bones crunching. Again, for an adult, this is a very engaging story with a satisfying ending, but it is violent and dark.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byadayal@bex.net May 2, 2010

Great family movie

Loved this movie. My 11-year old and 13-year-old didn't move -- except to fall over laughing at some of the funny dialogue. Great action sequences -- and a good mystery.
Adult Written bydarthsitkur October 14, 2012

an awesome and hilarious movie

Sherlock Holmes is a great action comedy, nonstop action and very big laughs, guy ritchie is one of my favorite directors
Parent Written byspacermom January 4, 2010

Great Fun!

I took my whole family to see this over New Year's and everyone (10-46) loved it. It did have some violence, but nothing different from tv. As far as the dead bodies are concerned, if your child watches 'Bones' or 'CSI', this is no different. I feel this version is closer to the books, which is great. It really stressed the relationship between Holmes and Watson. There is great chemistry between Jude Law and Robert Downey, Jr. This movie has the same romping fun as the 'Pirate's' movies. The actors seem to be having quite a bit of fun. There is a lead in for a sequel.
Adult Written byzzzzzBaby January 2, 2010
I went to see it before letting my 16 and 13 year olds watch it. It was definitely violent, but nothing worse than some of the things I've seen in movies like Pirates of the Carribbean. It was a very well-directed movie with lots of action and character development that made it enjoyable to watch. I will feel perfectly fine letting my kids watch it.
Parent of a 8, 12, and 14 year old Written bywhartonnumber1 December 29, 2009

I don't see younger kids enjoying...only older teens.

Just got back from the movie and I'm glad I didn't take my children....my 12 year old wanted to go. It wasn't so much the violence of it that bothered me, but more of the dark tone of all the black magic stuff. Just kind of a dark movie that left me very glad I didn't live during that time period. I rated it 15 & older just because it was kind of hard to follow. It seemed to drag on a bit and I think it would be boring for those younger than that (other than all the violence, of course.) I'm definitely more of an action or romantic comedy type and this movie wasn't my cup of tea. The previews at the beginning were really bad..everything was either a horror or some kind of a sci-fi strange thing. They weren't kid friendly for anyone under 17!
Adult Written bymiam1 May 18, 2015
its a nice film for 11 years + but not for kids younger
Adult Written byinspiringmovies December 10, 2014

Sherlock gets re-imaged for the MTV generation.

now, come the finale of Guy Ritchie's "update" of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's much loved super sleuth I was not only bored to almost impending sleep, but also struck with one overriding question; why not just make a Victorian piece about a couple of swanky buddy sleuths and leave out the name Sherlock Holmes? The answer of course is obvious, to me at least, it's a name that sells. Mr Ritchie would most likely tell us that he wanted to bring the great detective to the attention of a whole new generation, whilst simultaneously making it appealing to the "youth" of today. Not elementary my dear Mr Ritchie, it's a cash in if you please. A cash in further aided by the casting of the talented and in vogue Robert Downey Jr as Holmes. Whilst casting Jude Law as Watson {so effectively a secondary role that suits Law perfectly} also carries some aesthetic weight for a younger audience. The film does pretty much what one expects of a family blockbuster, in short, simple frothy fun that's sadly devoid of any mystery or intelligence befitting the once Deerstalker attired one. There's action and explosions, even good old fist fights given the Ritchie slow-mo make over, but these are either preceded or followed by long bouts of tedium. Not helped by an unadventurous & dull plot involving Mark Strong's {value for money performance} black magic shenanigans as Lord Blackwood, and the pointless inclusion of the anonymous Rachel McAdams as Holmes' ex love interest Irene Adler. All of which comes together for a rather uninspiring show down on a half built Tower Bridge. The set design is smart and on the money (Sarah Greenwood), as are the costumes (Jenny Beavan), but the same can't be said for the sound mix, which is quite frankly skewy and renders some of Downey Jr's brainy ramblings inaudible. Same for the score, Hans Zimmer goes for bombastic, which would have worked if it wasn't in conjunction with diddly day-diddly doo Celtic music. I mean this is Victorian England right? You could have set the film somewhere Celtic Mr Ritchie-since you have changed most of the essence of the character anyway. Hmm. The sequel is inevitable given that the film has made monster amounts of cash, and no doubt about it, Law & Downey Jr have great chemistry. But this is comic book Sherlock, an attempt at an action comedy mixing brains with brawn. The end result being almost a cure for insomnia. 4/10 http://www.inspiring-movies.com/sherlock-holmes-2009-full-hd-1080-720
Educator and Parent Written byAllen Wang June 2, 2013

Sherlock Holmes Movie Common Sense Media Movie Review

I Think "Sherlock Holmes" is A Good Story Film And Also Has Violence In Some Scenes That Parents Should Be Worried About And So I Courage T hem To Not Let Their Kids Watch Too Much Because of Some Violent Blo odthirsty Scenes And I Know It's Gross To See Blood In This Film! Ew, Na sty? Thank You!
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 23, 2012

I like Sherlock Homes.

This movie was action packed! Its very fast movie and just plain awesome!
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

Sherlock holmes 2009

boring movie but intence.
Educator Written bypopehatmatt December 24, 2011

Whimsical

Adult Written bybdh June 17, 2011

good entertaining movie

pretty good movie
Parent of a 11 year old Written bygeorges113 November 3, 2010

WATCH THE MOVIE

Great and Smart movie, not for kids under 13-14 though, because of rituals and satanism implicated, darkish theme, lots of violence, and one sexual comment, it's way too smart for someone under the age of 14, kids at that age or generally kids under 17-18 wont be so interested in it; they generally like teen-movies, but it's ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES EVER if you're an adult and someone who likes breathtaking intelligence that goes out of borders !!!
Adult Written by2Simple October 30, 2010
Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 11, 2010

A real disappointment

Not very good, overall. I am not a fan of Guy Ritchie. Parents: There's action, violence, murder, dead bodies, chilling rituals, and some suggestive content. bottom Line: Even with action, violence, and murder, it's still not very interesting. If you're dying for Robert Downey Jr., try Iron Man (1 or 2 will do). Thanks for readng! - Movie Man
Parent of a 13 year old Written byKaren958 August 26, 2010

Ok for age 13, ! caution there is a lot of violences

I think its ok for age 13, there is alot of violents so it you have a very sensitive child I would wait.
Adult Written byLeshley July 15, 2010

My favorite movie, But there are some inappropriate bits

If it weren't for a few problems, I would suggest it to everyone. The biggest issue is the sexual content, I'd say. Personally, I don't care about the drinking and pipe smoking in the movie. There is satanic religion in the movie that gets pretty freaky, but it ends well. No religions are attacked, really. There was some language. If it weren't for these things, I would give the movie 5 stars. It really was brilliant. Robert Downy Jr. and Jude Law worked very well together. The writing and filming were both excellent. This is most definitely my favorite movie.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 25, 2010

Good movie, a fun twist on Sherlock Holmes

I would say that I will definitely consider letting my 12 year old watch this. While there is some drinking, and Sherlock Holmes has a side that is less that admirable in some aspects, we have open conversations about these issues. This is not a bad movie for tweens and teens, but again it depends on your kid.
Adult Written bycrackerjack5 May 30, 2010

So good I had to see it twice!

I saw this movie 2 times, it was so interesting. The plot is intense, and some parts about the mystery really had me stumped til the end. Then acting was good, and fans of Sherlock Holmes will like it. There is some violence, but nothing overly graphic.