All parent member reviews for She's the Man

Adult Written bywonder dove January 19, 2013

Excellent fun for younger viewers!

She's the Man is one of those "way better" teen comedy movies for tweens and teens. I loved it when it first came out on DVD. It's hilarious, fun and fairly clean. Viola (Amanda Bynes) is sort of a tom boy, she likes sports, especially soccer and wants to play on the boys team but can't seem to convince anyone that girls are just as good as guys. So she decides to "become" a boy herself by turning herself into her look-a-like brother Sebastian while he flees to England, not knowing that is sister is imitating him. Her transformation is a success with the help of her friends and she enrolls herself at her brother's school and becomes roomies with her future love interest, Duke, who has a crush on another girl named Olivia who actually has a crush on Viola (as Sebastian). Trying to keep up with her double life, Viola runs into some trouble which forces her to come clean and tell the truth about who she is and why she did it, while hoping they will still except her on the soccer team. Very funny movie! Not much violence except for a comic girl fight (hair pulling, punching, pushing) and some arguing. Sexual content is mild with some kissing, flirting, hugging, a butt slap...all in comedy style. A boy drops his pants to prove he's a boy and girl lifts her shirt to prove she's a girl (nothing shown). Language is mild with some slang. Viola's man voice is too funny! Excellent for the younger crowd - good messages too. Good for 12 and up!!
Adult Written byvegmama April 9, 2008

no thanks!

We paid for this movie in our hotel while on vacation to watch with our 9-year-old. It was absolutely horrible! Although there wasn't any memorable swearing, the subtle sexual and derogatory comments made mostly by Amanda Bynes were out of line, and we ended up turning the movie off about halfway through, after having to explain things to our son too many times! Ok, it is a PG-13, and our son is 9, but there is a line Amanda uses when she is dressed as a boy looking at a girl regarding her "tapping that". That was precisely the moment we turned the movie off. We didn't think that would even be appropriate for a 13-year-old! It was a total waste of money.
Adult Written byMattDallas3 April 9, 2008

Educator Written byKelly A June 13, 2014

Encouragement for girls in sports

There is definitely a positive message for girls who are told they can't pursue athletic dreams. The plot is based on Shakespeare's Twelfth Night in which Viola, in attempts to prove herself as a soccer player, pretends to be her brother and try out for her high school soccer team.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

better for the older kid

ok film. Would not let any of my kids watch it if they were under 12. Some parts are tad inappropriate
Adult Written bydhoule April 9, 2008

Adult Written bybethlthomson April 9, 2008

laugh

see with your parents.
Adult Written bysteste140 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bytennis0 April 9, 2008

What a disappointment!!!!!

Amanda Byrnes, who is the star of this movie, has been a role model for my daugher: cute, funny, open, not overdone make-up wise or attitude. This movies begins as a comical commentary on whether or not a girl can play on a boys soccer team. However, at the end, one boy pulls down his pants in front of a stadium crowd and Amanda Byrnes pulls her shirt up to prove she is a girl. Neither instances were necessary and took away from the point of the movie. It is all my daughter could focus on, "Mom, what did u think?" What an embarrasment for me and should be for Amanda Byrnes. YUCK!
Adult Written byChristianRater April 9, 2008

It's a great movie for kids and it is acceptable.

I would definitly let my children view this movie. It mostly just has crude humor, which most teens would find funny. I am generally a strict movie judger, but I myself saw this and think it is not innapropriate for anyone around 12+.
Adult Written bycarebear_lover April 9, 2008

ha,ha,ha,ha

alright then diz movie was very funny i was started crying.it was nice in the end when olivia went out with the boy.they make such a nice couple.Whoever 12 and older they should see diz movie.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Good Rental

Glad I didn't pay money to see this one in the theatre, but it's good for a funny rental. We enjoyed it.
Adult Written by7th_heaven_fan April 9, 2008

Adult Written byquest13 April 9, 2008

No NO NO NO NO NOT FOR 12 tear ld kids even though it's good

Hilarious but at least be 14
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

Fine for 12+

This was a stupid, not-very-funny movie for tweens. Older teenagers will find it stupid, and it's not appropriate for kids. Altogether, it's an okay rental, but not worth paying for in the theater.