Kid reviews for Shutter Island

Twisty, disturbing Scorsese thriller too intense for most.

Teen, 13 years old Written byretrobans33 November 1, 2020

Leonardo DiCaprio Kills Nazis; It's Not Fun

I think this movie is amazing. I knew of the twist before going in, yet it was still awesome to see it play out. The ending is ambiguous and shocking, and you quickly realise how everything has been building up to that point. This is actually the most I've ever been disturbed by a movie, mostly due to the psychological aspects. If you're mature enough to understand, it hits on a whole other level. Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Ruffalo are stellar as usual, and the supporting cast is quite well-rounded. The scene by the lake *you know the one* made me tear up. There's a lot of swearing, including the n-word (used by a white mental patient). It's also pretty violent, dead children drowned by their mother, that sort of thing. I wouldn't recommend it to parents of young kids for sure. I feel like 18+ is an overreaction; a mature 11 or 12-year-old could certainly watch (its uh kinda disturbing though), but I'd generally say 14+ just to be safe. Don't be fooled by rotten tomatoes, it's a great movie!!

Kid, 11 years old September 20, 2020
This movie is AMAZING!! It has a great cast, great director, and great plot. It’s such a well thought out psychological thriller, and if you’re child can handle some cursing, and mature topics, and very little sex, than this a great movie
Teen, 17 years old Written byPixel_cookiie August 6, 2020

Mind blowing plot twist!!

In my opinion, this movie is a masterpiece! The plot twist was incredible and it was overall genius

Teen, 14 years old Written by12345g43 April 26, 2020

Incredible

I watched at this age and absolutely loved it, it’s gripping and intense and to this day is my all time fave movie. Could potentially bother some children, as it is more psychological then scary which they may not be able to handle.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Godfather May 19, 2021

It’s a scorseseeeeee and a di capriooooo

A great movie with a shocking end and with a not understandable and clear end
This movie is not for adult it’s 13+

Teen, 14 years old Written byCool Kidz. May 11, 2021

Unexpected plot twist worth watching tonight.

I would've enjoyed it more if I hadn't been falling asleep and my brothers hadn't spoiled the ending afterwards. Regardless, this movie is very good. Is it for young kids? No. There are some blood scenes, lots of language, and things that can appear scary for kids. My 11yo brother watched it with us and had to cover his eyes a many times. Some drinking and smoking, but light, and not something you need worry about. The end twist is SO unexpected I promise I'm not even kidding. It's not one of my favorites, but it's good. Is there something sexual? I think there's a kissing scene but it's pretty light, the bloody part that comes after it is much more intense. Not because it's graphic (it's not) but bc of the kind of way it's presented to the audience. There are some sexual and very inappropriate things people say! I'm glad my little brother didn't know what they meant. We've watched many R movies carefully as a family of 6 before. This wasn't shocking to us, but it might be to kids who aren't used to hearing or seeing any kind of death before or don't exactly know what sex is either. I do recommend it. It's not for everyone, though!!! Reviewed by Cool Kidz.
Teen, 14 years old Written byannawolfie33 April 10, 2021

Amazing!

This movie was AMAZING and the plot twist was just *chef's kiss*. I thought it was a bit boring at the very beginning but trust me this film is worth watching. It does have some gore at the start and overall I think that this movie is the best psychological thriller.
Teen, 17 years old Written byKole Murawski March 2, 2021

Great movie!

This was a amazing film! It is very violent. There is a scene where a man is shown in length who tried to kill himself but is still alive. There is a scene where soldiers in the cold war line up enemy soldiers and shoot them . Children drenched in blood. Children drowned. Language. F words. I white man says the N - word. Is suspenseful and for mature audiences. Some drinking and a lot of smoking. Overall, I loved this movie! If you are a teen and not yet 17, get your parents permission to watch it. Parents, do not let your kids under 17 watch this!

Teen, 17 years old Written by12wolf34 February 10, 2021
It was a great movie. It wasn’t that scary, but here was this one scene with a bunch of dudes naked. But a great movie with a great plot twist.

Teen, 15 years old Written byProtActiniumNit... February 6, 2021

Psychological Thriller

There is a lot of blood and bodies but the blood is very red helping one remember it is fake. There are a lot of F bombs dropped unnecessarily. And the characters are constantly seen smoking, but considering the time period it more than fits. Overall the movie was very fun to watch and definitely fits the category psychological thriller.

Teen, 14 years old Written byHoyte January 31, 2021

Yep

Yep

Kid, 12 years old January 25, 2021

pretty freaking scary

I watched this movie without understanding what I was about to see. This movie contains Nudity/Very Strong Language/ Disturbing themes. Its a great movie but its too “adult”. It will make you go on a rollercoaster of emotions throughout the movie with a HUGE plot twist at the end! Outstanding movie but not recommended for anybody under 14.

Kid, 12 years old January 16, 2021

Good but kinda complex

Its a great movie and all but its kinda hard to understand. There is some violence in it but but its not scary at all.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLoranikas303 January 9, 2021

Shooter Island

This is trash! Shame on Leo DiCaprio! He looks like David Walliams! Don't watch it! #HorrorMovieRants #HorrorMovieHaters

Teen, 15 years old Written byDogcat January 9, 2021

Horror movie!

My mom might like it because of Leo DiCaprio but, I hate horror movies! My mom watches horror movies sometimes. #Horror Movie Haters #Horror Movie Rants

Teen, 16 years old Written byChocolategirl16 December 4, 2020

Incredible film

Shocking twist at the end. Superb acting. Leo nailed it as always.
Written byAnonymous November 1, 2020

Best plot twist ever! Mind-blowing! 9/10!!!

I swear, I never saw it coming!!! Okay, people on this site are totally overreacting. Why would it be rated so high? Just because of how dark it is? I'm 12 and I understand and, frankly, enjoy this movie. I just watched it and my mind is still blown by the plot twist. Afterwards, you realize how it's been in front of your face all along!! The cinematography is visually stunning, the acting is perfect, but it's the plot that really makes this movie the masterpiece that it is! When my parent and I first started this movie, we thought it was weird and left too many things unexplained, but by the hour mark things started falling into place. As for inappropriateness, c'mon. Just 'cuz it's dark doesn't mean that it should be denied to kids. By the end, I wasn't questioning my sanity or something crazy like that, but I was a little confused about stuff, which was a nice balance. There is cursing, but for a movie that is this intense, that's a given. I've heard cursing before at school, it's nothing new to me. As for the gore, most modern-day movies are WAAAAAAY worse. There is a little disturbing imagery, but nothing that'll haunt anyone or something like that. There are guns and violence, but it's in war flashbacks, so what'dya expect? There is only one innuendo , I think, and it comes and goes quickly. Everyone should watch this movie!!
Kid, 11 years old September 28, 2020

Awesome movie, but pretty violent

theres some language, dead bodies of children are shown, full male nudity (but its out of focus in a dark room), but other than that, its really good
Teen, 14 years old Written bymurdermystery September 10, 2020

Violent Slow Burn

SHUTTER ISLAND contains language and mature themes. Parents should know about the violence.

Teen, 13 years old Written bytesscooper77 August 4, 2020
this is one of my favorite movies ever. craziest plot twist ive ever seen. the age you watch it at depends on how much you can handle because it is super intense. a must watch.