Parent reviews for Side Effects

Side Effects Poster Image

An intense thrill ride throughout. Entertaining, shocking and compelling!

Side Effects is a dark, tense psychological crime thriller which is chalk full of major plot twists and some characters actions (that unveils halfway through the film) becomes more menacing and shocking. The main synopsis is about a young woman whom apparently attempts suicide and is referred to a psychiatrist named Dr. Banks, whom prescribes her on this newly developed psychiatric prescription drug, which uncovers with unexpected side effects - murder. she murders her boyfriend in her sleepwalking stages, and then jeopardizes Dr. Banks' position. Jude Law, Rooney Mara, and Catherine Zeta-Jones were great choices for this specific movie, because they're good at playing charismatic characters with yet deceiving qualities. Side Effects is not intended for a young audience based on my experience watching this film, which is based around a character who unveils to have had past adult indiscretions with another. Violence is infrequent but graphic, especially the murder scene. Language is another big concern (uses of f**k, sh*t), and a couple graphic sex scenes including one with full frontal nudity. Prescription drugs are used and mentioned throughout this film, especially the one given by Dr. Banks, which gave a young woman terrifying side effects which ended up with a person she loved dead. Nevertheless, this movie was a surprise and I mean a major surprise, better than I expected.

Suspenseful

Side Effects was a pretty good watch, but not near as thrilling as I'd hoped. I agree with the Commonsense review, that it could have done a lot better. I found it a little boring and dull throughout, yet still somewhat enjoyable. Rooney Mara is an excellent actress! The storyline is a very good one and I can actually see it being very realistic too, I've heard some very scary stories involving the use of antidepressants and it's a shame that we need a pill to make everything better when it's just a cover-up. I liked the suspenseful tone of this film. Sexual content includes nudity (bare breasts) during a sex scene, one other off-screen sex scene with moaning, some kissing and sensuality between doctors and their patients. Violence is gory and includes bloody stabbings, a murder, suicide, a car crash, self abuse. Language isn't too bad nor frequent, but includes the common f-words, sh*t, godd*mn, b*tch...etc. Some social drinking and lots of prescription drug use and discussions. Pretty safe for the 15+ crowd.