All parent member reviews for Signs

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byheather.parker December 13, 2010

Waiting till they're older

I thought this was a great movie, but a little scary for kids.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byThe Big E August 15, 2011

My 11 Year Old's All Time Favorite Movie

This is my eleven year old daughter's "all-time favorite movie," and has been since she first saw it at age 8. It is truly unique among alien invasion movies because it's not really about the aliens at all, or their amazing technology, or their horrid plans for the planet - its about people, and about faith, and about how God never abandons us, even when we think He has, or even when we wish He would. Be warned, hereafter, there be spoilers. Graham Hess is a Pastor who has rejected his faith because of the pointless death of is wife, but who still has two kids to raise, both of whom have issues of their own. His son suffers from asthma - which both nearly kills him and saves his life before the movie is over, and his daughter has some obsession or phobia which results in her leaving glasses of unconsumed water all over the house because they're "contaminated." In the end, it's her phobia which may save them all. Tying it all together is Graham's brother, a washed up minor league baseball player known for both his monumental home-runs and his colossal strike-outs, who, in my opinion, provides far more strength both to Graham and his children than any of them realize. (Oh, and by the way, you'll never look at static interference on a baby monitor the same way again.) The movie does provide some genuinely scary moments and overall has a tense atmosphere which plays heavily on the fear of the unknown. Some of it might bother younger children (though I think the talk about the stabbed dog is overblown - and as I inferred above, it certainly didn't bother my daughter when she was 8), but for older children it's a powerful movie about love and faith - not losing it in the face of disaster, and re-finding it in the face of Grace.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Great Movie

This is on my must see list for everybody. Great Ending.
Adult Written byMindypin April 9, 2008

Great Movie!

Excellent directing - amazing movie.
Parent Written byCSM Screen name... May 12, 2014

Freaky!!!

Signs is about a man who loses his faith because his wife dies. His family begins to notice crop circles. Aliens invade earth. He begins to realize that maybe there are no coincidences and regains his faith. The quality is ok. You can kinda tell that the aliens are CGI. This movie definetly makes you think.
Adult Written bywonder dove July 5, 2013

Pretty good alien flick...

This film is not too bad, as I'm not really one for alien flicks. With a little too much exaggeration and silliness, this was actually enjoyable and I watch it about once a year when I'm in the mood. It's not too scary, but it definitely has it's moments and would give a child nightmares. Mel Gibson did a wonderful job with his role, as usual. The rest of the cast were fantastic, including little Abigale Breslin! It was neat to see Director M. Night Shyamalan play a role too, as I've always liked his films (The Sixth Sense being #1)! Violence is pretty intense sometimes and includes an alien getting his fingers chopped off, families and children in peril almost all the time, an off-screen dog attack, a stabbing of a family dog (off-screen), a child has multiple asthma attacks, aliens terrorize a family almost to death, a man uses a baseball bat to smack an alien. Language is pretty mild although a girl expresses to a reverend that she cursed and said sh*t, b@sterd and douch-bag. No real sexual content except for brief discussions about girlfriends and how some men can't get one. Pretty safe for the 14-15+ range.
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 24, 2012

Spooky in a good way.

This movie rocked! It was so funny and action packed! I just love it!
Adult Written byeanjahn February 20, 2012

KIDs need to see this

i think it is good for kids
Adult Written byscott the mop November 26, 2011

what i think

do not listen to most of the 10-12 year old kid's. listen to the adult's and parent's and common sense should tell you watch it for your self first .
Parent of a 8 year old Written byCSM Screen Name... September 18, 2011

Not for Kids.

This scared my 8 year old who otherwise likes to watch movies other than G. Violence is too much for younger kids.
Parent Written byMoviesAlright June 27, 2011

Great Movie

It is a little scary but I think my kids can watch but only the ones that are older than the age of 9. There is a little bit of launguage but if your kid has seen Independence Day or Edward Scissorhands than this movie is fine.
Adult Written byTracyeMay August 14, 2010

Very suspenseful. Supernatural. Sci fi

Disturbing plot. Scary. Don't see any real violence, other than the dog being stabbed. Just very very suspenseful. Characters do jump out. My favorite M Night. Joaquin Phoenix does an amazing job, even though Mel Gibson is the star.
Adult Written byscarahliz July 2, 2010

Heavy-handed religious themes

The heavy-handed religious theme is something to look out for. If you do not want to reinforce Christian, deterministic themes, be wary.
Adult Written byCaelyn November 4, 2009

Wonderful movie

I loved this movie! It had strong family-values, and good themes in it. It could be a bit frightening for younger viewers, however, so I don't recommend it for those under around 14. For those mature enough to handle it, though, this movie is excellent.
Parent of a 4, 8, and 10 year old Written byVerFamily May 10, 2009

Adult Written byjesus3boy April 24, 2009

not violent really, just scarry
Adult Written byGordan Freeman April 9, 2008

a movie with deep roots

Signs is a homage to many of the fallowing films and literary works: War of the Worlds, The Birds, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Night of the living Dead. With the possible exeption of The Birds, it's better then all of them.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Adult Written byMovieLover101 April 9, 2008

A great Sc-fi film.....

I have never been a fan of sci-fi films, but this one I enjoyed. Then again, I have always loved my alien films. :)
Adult Written byquest13 April 9, 2008

Very Scary

Note great film but very scary jump scenes.